Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it.

Talvin DeMachio
This topic is 944 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Arco in the bay area is often the cheapest, but may vary from station to station. On the same day it was $3.03 in Oakland

at 51st and shattuck, and $3.13 in SF at Fell and Divisadero. Just across the street is a non-name station which is usually

20 to 25 cents higher, but the Arco has long lines and (I assume) enough folks are in a hurry that the other station can make

a go of it.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking you're talking in gallons here but I've not read the whole thread

I got petrol yesterday at my local supermarket. It was

119.7p per litre. Equivalent to $1.87 a litre or $8.24 a gallon

We think that's cheap. It's not, we know that but it is cheap to us considering that just in my suburb of Newcastle alone it was $9.15 a gallon just a month ago

Rail fares are reasonable. I have first class (yes whose two words again) train tickets to Leeds tomorrow. They were £44 ($68) return. Considering standard was £38 and I get to use the first lounge at the main line station too, they were superb value for a extra £6. I don't think £44 is expensive to travel 100 miles on a train.

When I go into London, it's about £70 ($109) return for first class if I time my trains correctly. For that you get a lovely private seat, free complimentary gin and tonic throughout the journey, paper, free a la carte menu or full English breakfast and its all delivered to you on an in seat service. It can't be beaten.

One thing that drives me crazy about these new low gas prices is clearly illustrated in a single newspaper page I saw a few weeks ago. Big headline story at the top of the page chronicling the new lower prices. Then, a little further down the page...a separate article about the sales of fuel efficient cars plummeting. Then, a little further down to the left, an article about the surging sales of big SUVs, trucks, and other gas guzzlers. Now, wouldn't owning a fuel efficient car AND having lower gas prices (however temporary) be a win-win situation? When will this gluttonous country ever learn?

One thing that drives me crazy about these new low gas prices is clearly illustrated in a single newspaper page I saw a few weeks ago. Big headline story at the top of the page chronicling the new lower prices. Then, a little further down the page...a separate article about the sales of fuel efficient cars plummeting. Then, a little further down to the left, an article about the surging sales of big SUVs, trucks, and other gas guzzlers. Now, wouldn't owning a fuel efficient car AND having lower gas prices (however temporary) be a win-win situation? When will this gluttonous country ever learn?

Just as you say.

Seems like a perfect time for a little increase in the Federal gas tax, which has been stuck at 18.4¢ since 1993, and is no longer enough to keep the Federal Highway Trust Fund solvent.

http://www.dot.gov/highway-trust-fund-ticker

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/pictures/HTF-Cash-Flow-Summary-through-06-27-14-End-of-Month-Cash-Balances-Graph.jpg

Anyone who saw the 60 Minutes segment on deteriorating infrastructure last night knows that it's way past time to get back to fixing roads and bridges in the U. S.

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2007/08/03/522699be-a642-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/resize/620x465/e8e68d893c20f27939a6ca7ff7615e8e/image3130338.jpg

A survey shows that 52% of folks surveyed by AAA are ready for a 12¢ increase, and this would seem like a perfect time for Congress to act.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/bump-at-the-pump-senators-propose-a-12-cent-hike-in-federal-gas-tax/2014/06/18/0eb5b4b2-f702-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html

• 1 month later...
I don't think prices will go much lower before heading up again....this is very low now

They'll definitely go back up, fast and hard. (Something we'd normally like.) But I don't think we've hit bottom yet.

From what I've read we'll likely see these low prices for a nice (and welcome) while. Then, they'll slam back up suddenly and whoever is in the White House will take the blame even though they had nothing to do with it.

• 11 months later...