Thailand visit

TerryP
This topic is 5899 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just checked on itasoftware.com for Feb 26 outbound-March 26 return and you can fly from JFK to BKK on ANA (All Nippon Airways) for $1154.30 which is a real deal.

If you are sure of your dates use itasoftware.com to find the best deal - its a variant of what your travel agent uses Sabre etc - believe me you'll save a lot by doing your airline shopping this way!!

RickinOC

:-)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Thailand visit--airline comfort

Ticket prices vary depending on where you buy your ticket..especially in Business Class. Great deals if you start your outbound journey in BKK or KL. You can buy a round trip business class ticket (BKK-LA-NYC) for $1800-$2600. The same ticket out here will cost you $6000!!

If you plan on buying a business class ticket in the US or Canada I would suggest contacting a consolidator for a price break..

I had the opportunity to fly Thai Airways First Class and Singapore Airlines Business Class. Both were very good...and United or American Airlines First Class does not even compare!!

RickinOC

Of the 3 airlines mentioned, I've only tried the business on Thai and Cathay Pacific, but the general consensus of other flyers seems to be that Singapore has the best business class, Cathay the best first. That said, if your destination is Bangkok I would not hesitate to recommend skipping both for the Thai nonstop. Thai business may not be quite on a par with the other two (although reports on FlyerTalk are that it is improving), but it's still better than any American carrier and IMO the convenience of the nonstop carries a lot of weight. Last year I flew Cathay Pacific in first and, while it was a flight to remember with incredible pampering, I was not at all sad to fall back into my usual Thai Air premium economy routine.

Guest msclonly

Cathay Pacific, Thai, and Singapore Airlines are so much more comfortable and adequate in Business and First Classes, that there is no real need to split hairs, when you are considering the costs of the ticket as most important. Perhpas even Korean Airlines should be in that group, except for the extended layover, that was required.

My Experience on Cathay Paific in First Class on two Round trips was so GQQD, that I would repeat it without a second thought. I like that there are stops in HKG and use of the wonderful CP Airport Lounge/SPA with fabulous BUffets or made to order gourmet mealsfoods after a hot tub soak/shower and shave, etc. The Noodle Bar was a nice treat, also. A very civilized way to have to travel! lol

I just topped off my AmerAIr miles to do it again, perhaps. The only downside on these flights is the distance/time of the flights to BKK! But with the extra fine amenities/food/Krug/tea offered, you can still arrive very refreshed!

:+ :+

Guest msclonly

I think so. I hate being crammed into a tight seat in a crowded full coach Cabin. That Happened to me on an NW Airbus 300 the last trips NRT-BKK-NRT and it was Painful. Never agin! Business CLass is very limited on those flights and no upgrades possible, even with BusFIRST Award ticketing.

I would 'suffer' in Business Class on an Asian Airlines, then do that again. For example, I believe Korean Airlines is possible on NW miles and would do a stopover in Seoul before taking NW again to BKK, which I did a number of times in the 1990's to visit a number of Asian country capitols. But back then the flights were Free as a Courier, and still managed to get upgraded to BF a number of times. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. No more Courier flights, that I know of. Even got credited MILES for those trips.

:+ :+

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow Thailand. It's been many many years. I echo the recommendations to visit Koh Samedt. Also I recommend taking the Train to Chiang Mai. Actually anywhere in Thailand. Many of my favorite moments were on trains and admittedly a couple scary ones. Like the time a drunk policeman threatened me because MY drink was too weak. What a relief when the Dining car waiter discreetly lifted his apron to show he had confiscated the policemans handgun and had it safely tucked in his belt.

Definitely fun learning a little Thai and if you learn an Issan word or two you'll be a hero to every busboy and invited to all kinds of places. It's also not crazy to learn a little bit of the alphabet. It is not logographic like chinese or only sometimes phonetic like japanese. The thai alphabet is phonetic and while the order of writing the characters is a bit complicated it is quite regular. Not hard at all to learn to read the words for chicken, pork, fish, boiled, fried etc. Then you can order the non-touristy super tasty stuff on the menu that has no english translation. But hey I'm a food nut.

Speaking of food, Bangkok has a fantastic selection of street food which I highly recommend. As far as hygiene remember that the lady who works the corner everyday depends on her customers being alive and not running her out of the neighborhood. The kid in the big restaurant or flipping your burger mightn't care if you get sick and no one will know it was he who didn't wash his hands. Still seek out food that is fresh and cooked in front of you.

I remember great food in Bangkok's Chinese and Arab quarters.

Good to hear the Hotel Malaysia is still around. I stayed there a couple times but whenever I mentioned the hotel no Thai person seemed to have a clue what I was talking about until I learned to say Ma Lay SeeA in a thai accent. For the budget minded traveler there are many inexpensive hotels and travel services around Khao San road though there might be too many vagabond backpackers for one's taste.

When the huge traffic jammed roads of Bangkok drive you insane sometimes all you need to do is go down a side street to find a quieter neighborhood and lots and lots of peaceful temples hidden in an oasis here and there in otherwise incredibly noisy Bangkok.

As mentioned April and May is probably the hottest time of year and super humid. After spending sometime in Thailand without AC I never again complained about summer here in Chicago and have not had AC here since. But a super high speed fan above your bed in rural Thailand is often better than AC because it keeps the mosquitoes from landing on you and taking a bite.

Thailand is fantastic, food, music, art, history, and when you tire of all that there is some great sex.

Ok. Flights are booked but here are my outstanding issues for now:

- My JFK-BKK flight leaves Feb 17 at 11:35 AM. Unfortunately there are very limited flights from my home town in to JFK - they all fly in to LGA. So, I think I am going to book a filght with my Aeroplan points in to LGA the night before. There is one that arrives LGA at a very reasonable time of 9:20 PM. What do you guys think I should do from there? I was thinking of taking the shuttle from LGA-JFK (I understand it is only $13) and then staying at a hotel near JFK (There is maybe a Holiday Inn right next to the airport?) I do not know NYC at all so I could use some help here.

- Itinary - I am thinking the following:

Bangkok - 5 nights

Pattaya - 2 nights

Koh Samet - 5 nights - or something similar if someone has other ideas

Chiang Mai - 4 nights

Comments? Do you think that is the right order to do it in? Will I be able to take the train from Koh Samet to Chiang Mai without too much trouble? It seems like a long haul...I guess I would lose one of the nights because I would be on the train...

- Accomodation in Bangkok - I like the looks of Vincent's, as mentioned by kjun. http://islandbytes.com/client/vincents/index.html

I did check and they have availability, and the price is quite reasonable. Has anyone stayed here? Does anyone know what their policy is on guests?

- I still need accomodation ideas for Pattaya, Koh Samet, and Chiang Mai. For Chiang Mai, kjun mentioned Gap House. I did check their webpage though and they do not take reservations. Trying to keep all accomodations under 2000 baht but I don't mind paying a little extra, especially at Koh Samet, for a little luxury, since that is going to be my R&R time.

Always open to recommendations for restaurants, bars, etc as well. I am keeping good notes.

- Terry

If I can add my two cents worth the massage offered at Suvarnabhumi by Thai Airways (TG) to its First and Royal Orchid business class customers is a great way to start your flight. Of course no hanky panky...just great massage!!

RickinOC

I think you should just fly to Chiang Mai. It's a very fast flight (about an hour IIRC) and should be reasonably cheap.

Not sure the order matters all that much. I went BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and the north, and then back to BKK. I would probably spend less time on Ko Samet, but that's because I am not a beach person. You may want to spend one more day in Pattaya and one less there.

For places to stay, for a first timer you may want to consider either of the two places right in Boyz Town Pattaya, either The Ambiance Hotel or Le Cafe Royale. I have stayed twice at The Ambiance. The staff are great there and the rooms are decent. I splurged on the Executive suite last month and it was definitely a cut above the regular rooms but much more expensive. They both have websites.

You may also want to take a look at the gay thailand message boards for ideas. The big 3 are http://www.gaythailand.com http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/portal.php

http://www.gaytingtong.com/viewforum.php?f=2

GayThailand also has venue reviews and lots of other info.

Not a bad tentative itinerary, but I wouldn't try to pin down the number of days at each location so much and play it a bit more by ear. 5 nights in Samet seems like a lot to me. Remember, there's no real gay nightlife on Samet so if you want company you need to bring someone along. Also, if you plan on doing some shopping, there are some factors to consider. Bangkok's famous Chatuchak Weekend Market is, as the name indicates, open on Saturdays and Sundays only. Chiang Mai has a great market by the Thapae Gate, but it's only open on Sundays. The Silom Night Market and Chiang Mai Night Bazaar are pretty much unavoidable, but are also rather a rip-off compared to Chatuchak or the Thapae Gate market.

In Pattaya, if you plan on staying at either the Ambiance Hotel or Le Cafe Royale you should book early; many first timers like to stay at one of those gay-oriented places, and both tend to fill up. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a room in Pattaya. Welcome Plaza Hotel is very close to Boyztown - the rooms could use some sprucing, but the room rate is pretty low. Last couple of trips I've been happy with the Sabai Lodge in North Pattaya, but it's not particularly convenient to Dongtan/Jomtien Beach or Boyztown. Traveling back and forth doesn't bother me, but some people like everything to be right there. Ambiance and Cafe Royale do not charge a "guest fee," but more and more hotels are - it's best to ask the hotel directly.

(http://www.ambiance-pattaya.com/)

(http://www.caferoyale-pattaya.com/)

(http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/pattaya/welcome_plaza.html)

(http://www.sabailodge.com/index.html)

Getting to Ko Samet is fairly easy from Pattaya. Any Pattaya travel agent or hotel travel desk can book you onto a van and ferry to Samet. It should take about 90 minutes to 2 hours total time. When you arrive at Samet you have to hop into the surf and walk to the beach, so wear shorts and easily removable footwear. I have no real recommendations for places to stay since I leave the choice of where we stay to my boyfriend and can never remember the names of the place. To catch the sleeper to Chiang Mai (which is often all booked up) you will need to get back go back to Bangkok first. I personally would fly (13-hour train rides aren't my thing) since going from Samet to Bangkok you will wind up passing Suvarnabhumi anyway.

For Chiang Mai hotel recommendations, my favorite guest house unfortunately closed down when the owner and his Thai lover moved to England to get married. But the Montri Hotel is a good value and is right next to the Thapae Gate. It isn't fancy, but it's in walking distance of the Night Market area and in a decent area with many inexpensive restaurant choices. The Thai food in the hotel itself is also very good.

(http://www.hotelthailand.com/chiangmai/montri/index.html)

Finally, are you planning on flying from Chiang Mai to Suvarnabhumi and then catching the flight back to JFK? I've done that, but find that spending the night before the flight in Bangkok to be less stressful.

Edit: Oh, yeah - one of the best (and perhaps the first) gay Thailand resource sites is http://www.dreadedned.com/

Thanks for that. Curious about this statement:

"

When you arrive at Samet you have to hop into the surf and walk to the beach, so wear shorts and easily removable footwear.

"

How does that work with luggage? How much luggage can you take on the boat?

Also, speaking of luggage, do you guys think I should bring my lapop with me? On one hand, it is a bit heavy (it is a 17") and expensive, so I would hate to risk having it stolen. On the other hand, it would be a huge help with planning my trip along the way and of course would help with any homesickness. I was thinking though that as an alternative I could buy an Ipod Touch (which I hear you can surf the web on any time you're in a wi-fi hotspot).

Internet cafes are plentiful at all the places you are visiting. Typically the cost is 1 baht per minute. You're planning a lot of travel within Thailand and, frankly, you don't need the extra weight or something that valuable to keep track of. Plus you may wind up spending an extra hour or two at US immigration while they make sure you don't have anything naughty on it. (Travelers to Thailand are especially picked on for this.) Unless you really really can't be separated from your laptop for 2 weeks, my advice is to leave it at home.

Re: Ko Samet and luggage, ideally you should try to leave your big suitcase somewhere and just bring along a small one. Just about everyone does this. But sometimes you have no choice but to bring along all your luggage (it's not what I prefer to do, but it has happened to me on occasion) and they can handle it. With the ferry, they unload all the luggage onto the beach and you pick it up there. If you hire a speedboat instead, they will carry your luggage onto the beach as well. When you hop off the boat the water is only around mid-calf.

One other thing I forgot to mention about Samet. It's a popular venue for Thais as well, so the place can get very busy on weekends. The downside is that the place is much more crowded. The upside is that you are mingling with more Thai than tourists who are doing what they do best - having a good time.

Most hotels offer a safe either in the room or in the lobby to store your valuables - however if you have a 17 inch laptop its best you leave it at home. Internet cafes and prepaid phone cards are cheap and available all over. If you plan on bringing a phone be sure its unlocked and a GSM phone and not CDMA!!

RickinOC

I agree on leaving the 17" laptop at home. I have a 13.3" Sony that is under 4 pounds. I take it along and like being able to surf in the comfort of my own hotel room. But even that small laptop barely fits in many el-safes that you find in hotels. I have not had an issue with customs on either of my trips, but have read plenty of horror stories. At JFK last year I was greeted with a wave and a "welcome home, sir" and no scrutiny. As a Canadian citizen though who knows what you might be subjected to.

Since I wrote this, I've discovere Koh Samui. It looks like a great balance between gay life and lounging on the beach. I might skip Pattaya and Koh Samet and go there instead, but feel free to let me know if you think that might be a mistake!

Samui would not be a mistake - I haven't been there for a long time, but it's very nice - but you may break your budget a bit. Things may have changed, but it used to that Bangkok Air had the exclusive rights to fly to Samui and their fares tend to be on the higher end. (The airport is one of the prettiest that you'll ever experience.) Also, decent inexpensive accommodations are a bit harder to find. Samui was recently hit hard by heavy rains and flooding (they get A LOT of rain in Samui), but the time of your trip is during one of the drier periods so you shouldn't have any worries on that score.

Archived