Thailand visit

TerryP
This topic is 5899 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi there. I am planning a trip to Thailand this winter for 2-3 weeks. It will be my first time in Asia, and I need a lot of advice in terms of where I should stay, where I should visit other than Bangkok, etc. I'm hoping there is someone out there with some experience in this area that can help answer my questions.

Anyone?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Hi there. I am planning a trip to Thailand this winter for

>2-3 weeks. It will be my first time in Asia, and I need a lot

>of advice in terms of where I should stay, where I should

>visit other than Bangkok, etc. I'm hoping there is someone

>out there with some experience in this area that can help

>answer my questions.

>

>Anyone?

>

Hi there:

Just back from the land of smiles for the third time this year. As you know there is a lot to see and do in Thailand.

Several recommendations: 1. Good 4 star hotels are available on web sites such as discount-rooms.com, agoda.com, asiarooms.com, planetholiday.com. I usually stay in the Silom or Sukhumvit areas at the Sofitel, Crowne Plaza or on occasion JW Marriott. You can always find a good deal on one of these websites w breakfast included. I usually stay away from the Tarnawan Ramada, Malaysia or Tower Inn since these tend to be sleazy - unless you are planning a sexacapade 24-7.

2. Re travel from the airport (Suvarnabhumi)to your hotel - avoid the luxury cars/limos and take a regular blue taxi - ensure that the meter is on and pay the tolls - there is also a 50 Baht surcharge from the airport - average cost is 375 Baht (about US $12) to your hotel.

3. Travel in BKK - use the Skytrain (BTS) and the underground these are great and very easy to use - your hotel concierge can direct you to the nearest BTS station.

4. BKK is warm - all you need is light clothing..be sure to take pants if you plan to visit the local temples.

5. Regarding sexual activities websites such as dreadedned.com, gayromeo.com, and cruisingforsex.com (Thailand message board forum) are good sources for your needs. Be forewarned that apart from AIDS there is a lot of Hep A, Hep B - so be sure to take your Hep shots before visiting - since you can also get Hep from swallowing cum!!

6. You dont need to carry much cash - since US ATMs work all over - if you do take cash - you get a better rate for travelers checks.

7. Travel in Thailand - good places to visit are Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Phuket and of course Pattaya beach which is only a 2 hr drive from BKK. Trips/air travel to the other places are best arranged by a local travel agent in Bangkok. I generally use Chawla Travels in Patpong (chawlatravels.com).

8. Tips at hotels - 20 Baht is ample; at restaurants depending on your tab - but no more than 75-100 Baht

9. Great shopping all over - and be sure to bargain - you should get 60% of the price initially quoted.

10. Phone calls - if you have an unlocked GSM phone from T-Mobile or ATT, you can get a prepaid GSM SIM card and local number from stores at the MBK Plaza (4th flr). Incoming calls are free. For calling home, I use Skype from my computer - it works great!!

Hope this information is of use to you. If you need more, email me (my email is in my profile).

RickinOC

:-)

Guest icon513

"if you have an unlocked GSM phone from T-Mobile or ATT, you can get a prepaid GSM SIM card and local number from stores at the MBK Plaza (4th flr)."

Also at any of the 10,000 or so 7-11 stores around the country.

for a first timer you may want to consider using a company like Purple Dragon (http://www.purpledrag.com) to arrange your trip for you. It is a bit more expensive than doing it yourself, but what you get is totally worth it as far as I am concerned. They have lots of ideas on their website anyway even if you decide not to use their service. They arrange all of the hotels, transfers, and most importantly you get the services of an English speaking guide to show you around. Most of the tours also include admission costs and transportation unless you are in Bangkok and using taxis or public transit. Since it is just you and your guide it really is like having a local friend show you around. Most of the guides are gay, but it is in no way a "sex tour". But most packages include at least one evening of the guide showing you around the sex bar scene if you are interested in that.

I just returned from my second tour with them and I am quite pleased. The office staff does a great job making the arrangements. I stayed at the Sukhothai in BKK and was upgraded to an enormous suite, apparently largely because I had booked thru Purple Dragon. Last year I spent 3 weeks in Thailand where I spent time in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai, with day trips to Lampang, Lamphun, and Ayutthaya. This year I was in Bangkok, Korat (and other points around Isaan), then off to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (Angkor Wat and the other temples) in Cambodia, and back to Pattaya and Bangkok. I spent 3 weeks there again on this trip.

I think where to go depends a lot on what sorts of things you want to do. If you are only interested in sex and the beach (which I think is a huge mistake) then you will want to visit Bangkok, Pattaya, and maybe Phuket. If you are more interested in the culture and history then for sure you should also visit Chiang Mai and see a bit of the north in addition to the sites in and around BKK. And obviously if you want some of each that is easily done as well. A lot also depends on your budget. You can find perfectly fine, clean lodging and meals for little money. Or you can splurge and stay at top end places for a good bit more money but still less than you would pay for a comparable stay in Europe or the US.

Hi Terry,

I'm in Thailand now and having a great time. Let me know what type of accommodations you like to use and I'll try to provide the best ideas I can. I have rented a condo because I am staying for two months. It is much cheaper than a hotel and even though I travel around I like having a "base" to operate from.

The replys you have received indicate that these guys like to travel high on the hog. I am a modest traveler and stay in much cheaper places. In recent visits I spend much of my time in BKK but do go to the North country and some islands. So, as I said previously just let me know your interests and I'll try to assist you.

I totally dislike Pattaya because it is just a sex place. Little else. Also full of rude Germans on sex holidays.

Cajun

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm excited that I have some help with this, as I have been combing guide books and the internet for weeks, but there are just soooo many options.

I will provide some more information, to help you help me.

I am a 32 year old Canadian guy. I have not travelled much internationally - just to europe once, to Mexico, and to the Carribean.

My priorities are mixed. I am definitely interested in meeting some guys (I prefer muscular guys - I assume there are more than just twinks at the boy bars). I also would like to do some touristy things, and I would definitely like to spend at least a few days lounging on the beach. I estimate, factoring in travel time there and back, that I will have 14 days to actually spend in Thailand. I will be going in February or March.

I will be flying in the Bangkok. I could spend a few days there, then a few days in Pattaya, and then maybe to Krabi, Phuket or Chiang Mai? Would I need to fly to get to those places? How much are the flights? Those are just the locations that spring to mind - if you guys can think of other ideas please let me know.

In terms of cost of living, I assume I would do fine with $2000 of spending money for 14 days? What sort of lifestyle am I looking at for that kind of money?

I really appreciate all your help.

You need to fly to Phuket or Chiang Mai (or take the train for the latter). Round trip airfare to each runs about $100 or less on Thai Air, even cheaper on the low cost carriers. A taxi ride to Pattaya (about a 2-hour drive southeast from Bangkok) should be under $40 one way.

Thailand is not as inexpensive as it once was thanks to the drop in the dollar and rising prices, but a $2000 budget can work if you stay away from the higher end hotels and restaurants and watch your entertainment costs. You can still find perfectly decent accommodations for less than $50 a night, but you may find that drinks at bars and clubs eat up more of your budget than you might think. Since male companionship is often of the paid variety, $2000 can go very quickly if you take a guy off from a bar every night. Also, the muscular guys are less common than the slim or femme ones and tend to have higher "tip" expectations.

Guest msclonly

Since this is the first trip and limited to 14 days, you should not be too agressive with a lot of traveling around to different cities until you get familiar with Thailand. It will be easier to plan the next trip with other city options. In my experience, BKK, Chaing Mei, and Pattaya would be the limit for places to visit and enjoy the first go around. ALso, Thailand is not the sort of place you have to have every hour/day planned out in advance. Relax and enjoy it as you go along. In other words, don't worry yourself sick just because it is your first trip and a bit nervous about it.

In addition, those who you would like to meet are most likely in BKK. So don't spend any additional time traveling from place to place.

:+ :+ :+

Hi Terry,

RickinOC gave some very good advice and some things he said indicate to me that he is a high roller. All of the hotels he suggested are over $100 per night.. As you have probably learned by now the Baht is up to 32 to the dollar and things are not as cheap as even a year ago. I look for venues easier on my wallet.

I like the Malaysia. A little on the run down side but not at all dirty. However, if you intend to stay there you must make a reservation now because it is always booked and full. Mainly because it is so cheap. I like the area where it is located and that is where I rent my condo. Quite a few very reasonable restaurants in the area.There are a couple of guest houses in this area also. The Penguin (900 a night) is a nice one and is close to the Malaysia. Vincent’s is another in the area and it has a restaurant. I think they charce 1200 a night. There is also a brand new place called The Boss and I will check that out and let you know what I find.

Now about the boys: Muscle boys are almost out of the question except for a bar called Tawan. All of the boys there are muscle boys juiced up on steroids and want at least 1500 baht which is about 500 more than you will pay at any other place. Most are stiaigt boys and not into the action. You must also pay the place 400 baht to “take the boy off”. Do you understand what this means? If not let me know and I will explain it. Free lancers, like the guys who hang out at the Malaysia coffee shop or at the Telephone Bar are usually on the thin side and you must remember that Asians generally have smaller dicks than other cultures. There are of course exceptions. This used to be an issue with me but I’m over that.

Rich is right on about the deal at the airport. Just walk by the people offering limo or any kind or rides from the airport. They want about 800 Baht. Walk out of the airport front door and look for the taxi stand. There will be a line. They will ask where you want to go and when you tell them they will give you the next available taxi. The taxi driver will ask if you want to use the highway. This is a toll road and you will have to pay him for the toll which will amount to 60 baht because there will be two spots to pay a toll. The first is 40 and the second is 20. It is much faster and worth it. You will have to pay him 50 baht above the meter fare plus the toll. This should be about 300 baht.

I have already expressed my contempt for Pattaya. Your ideas of Krabi and Chiang Mai sound good. It should cost you about $100 round trip to each of those places as someone else said. From Krabi you can see the islands such as phi phi (pronounced pee pee). A couple of days in Chiang Mai would be great. See the elephants and maybe a short trek would be fun. Gap House in Chiang Mai is an excellent guest house.

the Cajun

I will amen the recommendation re: Penguin House (http://www.geocities.com/penguinhouses/). It's increased in popularity, so making a reservation early on is recommended. Lots of nice, not expensive restaurants in the area. My Thai friend and I like the Just One restaurant, next door to the Malaysia Hotel, a lot.

I don't hate Pattaya, but one can't deny that it is rather honkytonk (but so is Bangkok's Soi Twilight and most of Silom) and full of Germans, Aussies, Brits, Russians, Chinese and, during the Cobra Gold exercises in May, US Navy personnel. For a quieter time, the gay bars around the Jomtien Beach area aren't bad at all. And I do like the gay Dongtan Beach - a daily 200 baht massage on the beach can be very relaxing.

I also echo msclonly's recommendation to not spend too much time traveling and to give Phuket a pass this trip and give Chiang Mai a try. The gay bars there aren't as numerous or as grouped together as they are in Bangkok or Pattaya, so you may need to hire tuk tuks to get between them. (NOTE: Tuk tuks in Chiang Mai are a normal mode of transportation; in Bangkok they are a tourist trap ripoff.) I've found that many of the Chiang Mai bars like Circle Pub, Free Guy and New My Way do have a larger selection of beefier guys than you may find in Bangkok or Pattaya; just don't expect them to be able to speak much english. There is a cluster beer bars near the climbing wall in the Night Market area, but the hosts there tend to be on the petite side with a lot of ladyboy wannabes.

Thailand is a terrific place where you can run yourself ragged doing the tourist thing and chasing boys, or you can just relax and go with the flow. If you do happen to meet someone you like and want to spend some special time with him, I recommend two or three days on the island of Ko Samet, about 2 hours from Bangkok via taxi and ferry. It's a place where you have to bring your own gay companionship and you can have a thrifty or an expensive time - up to you. My Thai friend and I often end up there to take a break from the sometimes overwhelming Thai bar scene.

You, Terry, will be in Thailand during its high season (when there is the BEST weather). Everything will have increased in price, but your Canadian dollar should suffice or combat this!

All of the advice that my fellow travelers and cyberacquaintances has rendered has been salient, but I'd like to recommend the Tarwatan (sp) hotel. I stayed there for over a week in 2005 and found it (not to be with overly and apparent sexual overtones). I was there during the high season (January); it was quiet, clean, reasonably priced (...made my own reservations on their site or at one of the gay sites), had to sign a contract regarding having guests (which is done for the protection of both hotel and clients) and found the location to be stellar.

I, too, would recommend Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chaing Mai for your first visit; later extend the places where you wish to go. Have a guide; then you will NOT have to spend time using a map in your hotel.

Since I had been to Bangkok previously, I didnn't hire a guide in 2005; I sought directions from the hotel personnel and took off in taxis or via the train while I was in Bkk.

My visits to Chaing Mai was with two different tour groups; I got out on my own by using my feet and tuk tuks.

Enjoy, man! I'm seriously thinking about being in Thailand during the latter part of 2008.

Terry, if you go for three weeks, spend a week in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chaing Mai or a longer period of time in BKK with a balanced number of days in the other two places.

Please write here about your experiences when you return. I am always interested in how one's trip turned out in the end!!!!!

Wow, so much great advice in such a short time.

A couple new questions:

- I have found a flight for what I think is a decent price but it arrives in Bangkok at midnight. I have to say that I find that a bit scary. Do I need to be worried about finding my hotel so late at night, especially considering if the flight is a little late, and after I gather luggage, it could be 2 AM for all I know?

- The flight is Japan Airlines from JFK, to Tokyo, to Bangkok. Has anyone had any experiences with this airline or route?

- Would it be reasonable and inexpensive to hire a guide just to show me around Bangkok the first day, to help orient myself. Any idea how I would do that?

- I think I am going to take the advice that many of you gave, and divide my time between Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai. However, I still want to spend some time just lying in the sun and reading on a beach. Are there any great spots within a couple hours of Bangkok? That would make it easier for me to go for a few days. Rampo already mentioned Ko Samet. I will do some research on it. Any others?

Oh and I mentioned in my last post about liking muscular guys more so than twinks. That is true but I did not mean I was interested in solely bodybuilders. I also like guys who are slim and athletic - a nice 6 pack is good.

I can't tell you how much more confident I feel about my decision now that I know I have people to help answer my questions. None of the travel agents here really knew anything about the area. Thank you all!

It seems that many, if not most, US flights arrive in Bangkok quite late. I once got to my hotel (Crown Plaza) at 2am, only to be told that my room wasn't ready yet! I had been paying for it since the afternoon before but had to sit in the lobby for quite a while waiting, yet exhausted.

A guide would be great for a first time visit to Bangkok. I used to really like the river boat tours on the long tail boats, Wat Po for massage and The Grand Place for touring. Many guys approached to speak English as it is near a university.

Lumpini Park with its bodybuilders is fun, and the Muay Thai boxing can be quite interesting.

I hired a car and driver to take me up to the River Kwai and the ruins of Ayutthaya. If you go north, be sure to go to the border and take a walk into Myanmar. It is like going back in time...and I should say it has been a long time since I did these things but I am sure they are all still there.

BTW: Thailand in March and April can be unbearably hot.

You may want to avoid Thailand during mid-April. Thai New Year (Songkran) is April 14-16 and things can be pretty crazy. Some people love it, others hate it. That is also the beginning of hot season.

Most flights from North America will arrive in BKK late at night due to their stops elsewhere along the way. If you want to arrive early your only real option is to take the Thai Airways direct flight from JFK-BKK. It arrives in the afternoon. If you can stand 17 hours in an airplane it is not a bad option. I flew ANA on my most recent trip and had to stop over in Tokyo so we arrived around 23:00 and I didn't get to my hotel until 0:45.

Hiring a guide in BKK is not difficult and I would definitely recommend it. I'll plug Purple Dragon again. Even if you don't book their modules for your whole trip you can hire their guides for a day as long as they are not all busy with their guests who have booked their whole trips with them. I think the cost is about US$60 a day plus you pay for transportation (taxi, skytrain, river "bus", etc). But you can probably find a guide through your hotel. I would also recommend having a guide in Chiang Mai.

Tarntawan Place hotel in BKK is a good option for first time visitors as it is walking distance to all the gogo bars which is very convenient. And it is a short walk to the SkyTrain as well. I found the beds there to be pretty uncomfortable though, but that is a problem I have at many Thai hotels.

Depending on where you are staying the hotel may have a car service to pick you up. It will cost more than a taxi though.

You can easily just read on the beach in Pattaya. You probably don't want to go into the water though. The gay beach in Pattaya is an interesting place. Just be ready to have people trying to sell you all sorts of stuff from food to watches to "sexy movies". The beaches there have concessionaires who set up a big canopy of umbrellas over their seating areas. So it's not great for baking in the sun, but it is quite a pleasant place to hang out with some shade.

The best part about Thailand for me is the hospitality. You will not meet nicer people anywhere. If you can, try to learn a little bit of Thai before you go. I found that being able to speak even just a little bit of Thai really impresses people.

>Wow, so much great advice in such a short time.

>

>A couple new questions:

>

>- I have found a flight for what I think is a decent price but

>it arrives in Bangkok at midnight. I have to say that I find

>that a bit scary. Do I need to be worried about finding my

>hotel so late at night, especially considering if the flight

>is a little late, and after I gather luggage, it could be 2 AM

>for all I know?

>

>- The flight is Japan Airlines from JFK, to Tokyo, to Bangkok.

> Has anyone had any experiences with this airline or route?

>

>- Would it be reasonable and inexpensive to hire a guide just

>to show me around Bangkok the first day, to help orient

>myself. Any idea how I would do that?

>

>- I think I am going to take the advice that many of you gave,

>and divide my time between Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai.

>However, I still want to spend some time just lying in the sun

>and reading on a beach. Are there any great spots within a

>couple hours of Bangkok? That would make it easier for me to

>go for a few days. Rampo already mentioned Ko Samet. I will

>do some research on it. Any others?

>

>Oh and I mentioned in my last post about liking muscular guys

>more so than twinks. That is true but I did not mean I was

>interested in solely bodybuilders. I also like guys who are

>slim and athletic - a nice 6 pack is good.

>

>I can't tell you how much more confident I feel about my

>decision now that I know I have people to help answer my

>questions. None of the travel agents here really knew

>anything about the area. Thank you all!

>

Terry, your airline schedule is ideal! You arrrive late and check into your hotel which you have already reserved. Get a lovely rest, even at the Tarwatwan (sp) if that is where you plan to stay. Arise at a decent time; have breakfast then have your guide meet you at the hotel at a good time, (suggestion 10a), do your touring (with your guide knowing what you'd like to see and do on your first day during the day) and return to the hotel around 4ish or 5ish.

Bangkok is a large city; it will take more than one day to do the orientation. I'd suggest take a klong ride on the river to see Bkk from that vantage point; have lunch at the Oriental Hotel. ...did that and enjoyed immensely.

Send me a private e with specifics about your trip if you desire although the guys who have already posted have given you some solid info and suggestions.

Whenever I travel to a place now and want to include seeing guys, I write here for suggestions. The same has gone for hotels, too!

Checkout all of the websites which have been suggested.

When do you plan to go to Thailand? If it's next month or during the next three months-- now is the time to finalize travel plans, per se....flight, hotel, guide

The potential flight that I am looking at is on or around February 17 - March 5.

I have just discovered that Thai Air has their direct flight from JFK to BKK on $1260 USD (taxes and everything included) return for many dates in February/March. It says it is a sale and must be booked by December 15. Is this a huge deal?

I know sometimes the airlines have these sales on that must be booked by a certain date, and then all of a sudden the sale is on again the next week....

The other flight I was looking at is Japan Airlines and you must change planes in Tokyo. This one is much shorter, plus no change of planes means less risk of lost luggage, etc.

I haven't priced it lately but that seems a little on the high side to me. I booked a Premium Economy seat on that flight last year for $1530. I think a regular economy seat was going for around $1100 or less. But it is possible that with fuel surcharges and with it being high-ish season that could account for the difference. You may want to check on the premium economy fare to see how much more it is. The seats have 42" pitch, a bit more recline and a bigger TV screen.

You will never know for sure if a better deal will come along tomorrow. If the price is one you feel comfortable with go ahead and book it.

Guest msclonly

Airline fares to BKK

You should give Thai Air and CathyPacific Airline a good look over. Somethimes they have inclusive fares with several cities added with stopovers. They arrive and depart at a more civilized time. Though there is really no problem with 11 PM arrivals, the 6AM departures on Northwest are a pain. The Taxi driver knows where your hotel it. Many speak English, since it is taught in grade school as a second language unlike Brazil. Japan Air is good, but Tokyo is further North, hence a bit longer flights.

CathayPacific is a wonderful airline and the Hong Kong Terminal is the very best. I used some old Amer Airline miles for First Class on CP and they were heavenly trips, two years in a row. I trying to top off Amer Air miles to do it again. The fare would have been over $11,000.00 roundtrip. And I have two pairs of designer Flight Pajamas for memories. I also learned what fine teas were and drank them throughout all the flights. Arrived totally refreshed. They cost about $100./#, Tie Kuan Yin and Silver Needle Jasmine, Those and Krug champagne and Caviar for snacks during the night after a nice sleep. The other passengers in First didn't want any of that stuff and I hated to see go to waste! lol!

Perhaps THAI Air will give you a special deal to BKK with ChiangMai R/t. They sometimes have Package Specials to a couple of other cities with BKK. Plan Pattaya last if you really want to go there, since you can take the bus or taxi back to connect with your flight back home. No need to go back into BKK by doing it that way.

Or Use the bus to get to/from Pattaya from BKK or the airport, if you have to go. I once shared a taxi with an Italian traveler from the old airport, and when we reached Pattaya, he took off without giving his half of the fare! :( So I had to cover it. Hope he has received his justice by now! Perhaps the Vatican will help make him suffer for his transgression! :)

Airline sales depend on how many seats are left available. They add Sales until the plane is filled up to a certain number of seats. Then the price goes up. They pretty much know if bookings are slow of weak. The longer you wait Toward March/April the more likely it will very hot humid and much rain. Dec/Jan are the most comfortable months.

Terry:

Couple of suggestions for your airline ticket.

1. Check out itasoftware.com (used by airlines); log in as a guest and you should be able to find a fare for your travel dates that is reasonable. Another good website is sidestep.com

2.Since you live in Canada, and Air Canada is a Star Alliance partner you may wish to consider United Airlines and use miles to upgrade to business class. I have managed to do the same in the the January February time frame (low season for United) as low as $900 RT with mileas to upgrade to business class. Travel on Tuesday or Wednesday for the cheapest fares.

Arriving in BKK late at night is no big deal; as far as Im concerned BKK is very safe and I can assure you that if ever you are accosted at night it is touts selling you massages, sex etc rather than asking for your wallet. BKK is certainly not downtown LA or New York!!

3. Regarding hiring a guide I have mixed feelings since guides steer you to shopping places where they get a commission. As a newbie you may wish to consider just taking a daytour from your hotel travel desk - it cost some friends of mine 1000 Baht (around $35) for an all day outing in a comfortable luxury bus.

Hope this helps

RickinOC

:-)

Remember, guys, this is HIGH season; thus the reason for the prices being as they are! ...the same goes for hotels, etc.!

When I was there in 2005 and early 2006, I was on a tour first; then I ventured out on my own for 3wks. I booked my post trip on my own prior to the 15th of December and got excellent rates at my hotel! :-)

Is Premium economy worth $350? I think that depends on a lot of things. How big are you? (no, not in THAT way!) How comfortable are you in airplanes in general? Are you able to sleep on a plane? The Thai A340-500 economy seats are configured with more space between rows than most other airlines, so even there you have 36" pitch and the same choices on the AVOD system. For me personally the extra $350 is totally worth it especially on such a long flight. But if you are on a tight budget and are adaptable I would think that a regular economy seat is probably OK. I think Thai has video or a "tour" of the premium economy cabin on their website so you can take a look at it.

I've flown the JFK-BKK nonstop in premium economy many times and, yes, it is very much worth $350 extra. Prices are a little bit higher right now (last May premium economy cost me about $1450 total), but that probably has much to do with the fuel prices, and I have seen it as high as $1750.

In Thai Air's premium economy you get 42" leg room and 2" wider seats; in economy it's 36", which is still better than most other airlines economy seating. If my budget was little tighter I wouldn't hesitate to fly in Thai's economy. The inflight entertainment system (available in all classes) is state of the art with a selection of about 30 movies and many, many television programs and music albums. The 17-hour flight is long (Xanax helps), but not much worse than the 12 hours to Tokyo or Seoul, and your overall trip is much shorter plus it's nice to arrive at BKK in late afternoon rather than near midnight as that gives you time to enjoy a nice Thai food dinner and relax, get a massage, or hit a bar or two before trying to sleep. I usually take along some Ambien as the jet lag is about as bad as it gets since Thailand is 12 time zones away from the US east coast. On the return you arrive at JFK around 6:30am, I think, which gives you plenty of time to make it to connecting flights home.

Descriptions of Thai Air's various classes and amenities are here:

http://www.thaiairways.com/Travel_Destination_Information/Inflight_Services/default.htm

Archived