Hotel Sol Ipanema vs Atlantico

asdsrfr
This topic is 6731 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi there-

I am getting ready for my 2nd trip to Rio and I am looking forward to it. Last time I stayed at the Atlantico, which was fine. The weather was cool when I was there, and not really beach weather so I didn't mind being a cab ride from Ipanema beach.

This time I will be going at the end off November ad I suspect the weather will be more conducive to spending days on the sand. The Hotel Sol Ipanema runs about $70 more a night for an oceanview room than the Atlantico. Do you guys think it's worth it to be right there?

If I stay there, I will still be riding cabs to the sauna's so it may be kind of a wash in terms of location.

Any insight from you guys would be helpful--thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there-

I am getting ready for my 2nd trip to Rio and I am looking forward to it. Last time I stayed at the Atlantico, which was fine. The weather was cool when I was there, and not really beach weather so I didn't mind being a cab ride from Ipanema beach.

This time I will be going at the end off November ad I suspect the weather will be more conducive to spending days on the sand. The Hotel Sol Ipanema runs about $70 more a night for an oceanview room than the Atlantico. Do you guys think it's worth it to be right there?

If I stay there, I will still be riding cabs to the sauna's so it may be kind of a wash in terms of location.

Any insight from you guys would be helpful--thanks.

The Sol Ipanema is within easy walking distance of Ipanema's gay beach at Posto 9. Its visitor policy, as far as I know, is much less lenient than the Atlântico's. If that's important to you, the Atlântico would be the better choice. If you don't plan to have "visitors" to your room and you want a lot of beach time, the Sol Ipanema would be fine.

I'm not clear about your statement concerning taking taxis to the saunas. From the Atlântico it's a 1 block walk to Estação and about 2-1/2 blocks to Point 202. The metro, which has a station directly across the street from the Atlântico, provides virtual door-to-door service to 117 (from the Glória metro station it's a 2 block walk to 117). Metro hours have been extended somewhat, and it now runs on Sunday, so it's perfectly easy to take the metro to and from 117. There's no metro service to Ipanema yet, so you'll definitely be looking at cabs for the saunas if you stay at the Sol Ipanema.

I hope this info helps you decide where you want to stay. :-)

The Sol Ipanema is within easy walking distance of Ipanema's gay beach at Posto 9. Its visitor policy, as far as I know, is much less lenient than the Atlântico's. If that's important to you, the Atlântico would be the better choice. If you don't plan to have "visitors" to your room and you want a lot of beach time, the Sol Ipanema would be fine.

I'm not clear about your statement concerning taking taxis to the saunas. From the Atlântico it's a 1 block walk to Estação and about 2-1/2 blocks to Point 202. The metro, which has a station directly across the street from the Atlântico, provides virtual door-to-door service to 117 (from the Glória metro station it's a 2 block walk to 117). Metro hours have been extended somewhat, and it now runs on Sunday, so it's perfectly easy to take the metro to and from 117. There's no metro service to Ipanema yet, so you'll definitely be looking at cabs for the saunas if you stay at the Sol Ipanema.

I hope this info helps you decide where you want to stay. :-)

Ipanema

My comment, for what it´s worth, is as a first-time visitor to Rio, staying in Ipanema with my cute boyfriend. I speak Spanish, but he speaks Spanish and Portuguese and has been to Rio before.

Like you, I prefer to stay in good hotels. We´re at the Ipanema Plaza, right by the gay section of the beach (which if I dare correct slightly what the guru has writen above is between Posto 8 & 9). The hotel has luxurious rooms, but is slightly chaotic in Reception. I checked out the Sol Ipanema first and would say it´s not as nice as the Ipanema Plaza. I booked online and for a suite on a high floor, with beach view, am paying US$225 per night.

We get taxis on the street easily. We did go into Copacabana (at my urging) but as the boyfriend warned, the area was rather dirty and shabby compared to Ipanema. The taxifare there (to rua Siquiera Campos - sp?) was Real 10 and coming back Real 7

I guess my view would be that, if you prefer a good hotel and like to feel safe when walking to nice places to eat at night, you should stay in Ipanema and just factor in the reasonable cost of taxifares.

ML

Ipanema

My comment, for what it´s worth, is as a first-time visitor to Rio, staying in Ipanema with my cute boyfriend. I speak Spanish, but he speaks Spanish and Portuguese and has been to Rio before.

Like you, I prefer to stay in good hotels. We´re at the Ipanema Plaza, right by the gay section of the beach (which if I dare correct slightly what the guru has writen above is between Posto 8 & 9). The hotel has luxurious rooms, but is slightly chaotic in Reception. I checked out the Sol Ipanema first and would say it´s not as nice as the Ipanema Plaza. I booked online and for a suite on a high floor, with beach view, am paying US$225 per night.

We get taxis on the street easily. We did go into Copacabana (at my urging) but as the boyfriend warned, the area was rather dirty and shabby compared to Ipanema. The taxifare there (to rua Siquiera Campos - sp?) was Real 10 and coming back Real 7

I guess my view would be that, if you prefer a good hotel and like to feel safe when walking to nice places to eat at night, you should stay in Ipanema and just factor in the reasonable cost of taxifares.

ML

RE: Ipanema

>We're at the Ipanema Plaza, right by the gay section of the beach (which if I dare correct >slightly what the guru has writen above is between Posto 8 & 9).

You're right, although if you ask Cariocas about it they'll refer to the gay beach as Posto 9. It's basically at the foot of R. Farme de Amoedo, and you can't miss it: just look for the rainbow flags flown at the beer vendors' tents and the sudden predominance of hunky guys on this stretch of the beach! ;-) More or less this, courtesy of Chris Geary:

http://www.chrisgeary.co.uk/international/RioBrazil%5FCarnival2003/BeachBoys/Photo/RioGay6016.jpg

>We're at the Ipanema Plaza, right by the gay section of the beach (which if I dare correct >slightly what the guru has writen above is between Posto 8 & 9).

You're right, although if you ask Cariocas about it they'll refer to the gay beach as Posto 9. It's basically at the foot of R. Farme de Amoedo, and you can't miss it: just look for the rainbow flags flown at the beer vendors' tents and the sudden predominance of hunky guys on this stretch of the beach! ;-) More or less this, courtesy of Chris Geary:

http://www.chrisgeary.co.uk/international/RioBrazil%5FCarnival2003/BeachBoys/Photo/RioGay6016.jpg

No, that´s the bizarre thing: The hotels seem NOT to have balconies overlooking the beach. It´s as if the architects thought we would rather see the Christ-statue on the mountain than look at flesh on the beach.

The Ipanema Plaza is sideways on to the beach. Our room has a side window that overlooks the beach - the only one on each floor that does - room 05, before you ask! There are no balconies.

The Sol Ipanema and Caesar Park face onto the beach (but not the gay section) and I guess that they have rooms looking out onto the beach.

I should add that you do NOT need to be in the gay section of the beach. Much to my surprise, while the boyfriend was swimming yesterday, an early 30s, beautifully muscled guy walked up and asked me if I´d like a drink. I looked up, thinking he was yet another beach-vendor and realised he had nothing on him, except for red Speedos. I smiled but pointed out I was there with my bf. He smiled back and said Not at the moment, so?

No, that´s the bizarre thing: The hotels seem NOT to have balconies overlooking the beach. It´s as if the architects thought we would rather see the Christ-statue on the mountain than look at flesh on the beach.

The Ipanema Plaza is sideways on to the beach. Our room has a side window that overlooks the beach - the only one on each floor that does - room 05, before you ask! There are no balconies.

The Sol Ipanema and Caesar Park face onto the beach (but not the gay section) and I guess that they have rooms looking out onto the beach.

I should add that you do NOT need to be in the gay section of the beach. Much to my surprise, while the boyfriend was swimming yesterday, an early 30s, beautifully muscled guy walked up and asked me if I´d like a drink. I looked up, thinking he was yet another beach-vendor and realised he had nothing on him, except for red Speedos. I smiled but pointed out I was there with my bf. He smiled back and said Not at the moment, so?

They're there! They just aren't Chris Geary's photographic targets! However, let's be clear: the beach at Posto 9 in Ipanema is primarily a younger/fitter men's crowd, mainly interested in picking up similar guys if they're there to cruise. There are exceptions to all rules, especially in Brazil, but Posto 9 tends to be a younger men's scene.

The gay beach in Copacabana, at the foot of r. Fernando Mendes (in front of the Excelsior Hotel) is more mixed in ages and social classes.

Nevertheless, the beaches in Brazil are remarkably democratic, and even older, heavier guys can be seen at "barbie" hangouts like Posto 9, having an enjoyable time. So stock up on your sun block lotion and make those travel plans. . .

They're there! They just aren't Chris Geary's photographic targets! However, let's be clear: the beach at Posto 9 in Ipanema is primarily a younger/fitter men's crowd, mainly interested in picking up similar guys if they're there to cruise. There are exceptions to all rules, especially in Brazil, but Posto 9 tends to be a younger men's scene.

The gay beach in Copacabana, at the foot of r. Fernando Mendes (in front of the Excelsior Hotel) is more mixed in ages and social classes.

Nevertheless, the beaches in Brazil are remarkably democratic, and even older, heavier guys can be seen at "barbie" hangouts like Posto 9, having an enjoyable time. So stock up on your sun block lotion and make those travel plans. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I went to Rio I stayed at Sol Ipanema, which is a good hotel, a bit old, but it´s very lenient regarding overnight visitors. This next time I am staying at the Ipanema Plaza and I got a much better rate than what I had seen on their website. I got a US$ 201 rate through Carlos from Romanus. The website is http://romanus.8k.com

Archived