Audra Stars in "Gypsy"

Got tickets.  I think she'll be the actress to beat for the TONY.

Audra can act.  She's transitioned effortlessly from stage to TV to film. 

My concern is her voice being right for the role.  I'm not sold based on what I've heard her sing so far, but I'm willing to be wrong.  I saw her in Ragtime, so I know she can play crazy.  Those chops I'm not worried about.

I'm also interested in seeing who's going to be her Herbie and Louise.  Lots of strong choices out there.

3 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

I saw Imelda Staunton in London. Terrible. 

I agree, she was awful.  She started the show at a 10 and had nowhere to go from there.

By the time the show was over, the scenery, curtains and front row had been chewed ragged.

Mama Rose is one of those roles I've "collected" for 40 years. I'll travel to see someone interesting's take on the role. So sorry to not have seen Angela Lansbury do it...(ever my favorite.) There hasn't been one that I wasn't intrigued by...(but if you've been reading my posts here, I'm a pretty easy audience.). I have enjoyed all the recent Broadway divas, and usually their standbys as well...) A couple real notables: Joanne Worley at in Pittsburgh, (I think) with Lenny Wolpe as her Herbie...and I just saw him in Drood at Goodspeed. Beth Leavel at MUNY (her husband Adam Heller was her Herbie.) Karen Mason and Sally Mayes.  And I've seen two Black Roses: Leslie Uggams and E Faye Butler in Chicago.  
I will see Audra, but haven't decided whether to sell a kidney or rob a Brinks truck to get there. 

3 minutes ago, skynyc said:

Mama Rose is one of those roles I've "collected" for 40 years. I'll travel to see someone interesting's take on the role. So sorry to not have seen Angela Lansbury do it...(ever my favorite.) There hasn't been one that I wasn't intrigued by...(but if you've been reading my posts here, I'm a pretty easy audience.). I have enjoyed all the recent Broadway divas, and usually their standbys as well...) A couple real notables: Joanne Worley at in Pittsburgh, (I think) with Lenny Wolpe as her Herbie...and I just saw him in Drood at Goodspeed. Beth Leavel at MUNY (her husband Adam Heller was her Herbie.) Karen Mason and Sally Mayes.  And I've seen two Black Roses: Leslie Uggams and E Faye Butler in Chicago.  
I will see Audra, but haven't decided whether to sell a kidney or rob a Brinks truck to get there. 

Rob a Brinks truck.  They're now employing out of shape, slow drivers.  You'll be fine.

Butler in Gypsy at Porchlight was AWESOME.  I had never seen an all-Black company before and they just knocked it out of the park.  Loved the theatre space, loved the cast.

Off this topic, but I love Porchlight...travel to Chciago a couple times a year to see their stuff. And E Faye Butler is directing a production of Ain't Misbehavin' this Summer at the Drury Lane...may have to go back (and catch pre-Broadway Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.) 

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 9:27 AM, MaybeMaybeNot said:

So many diverse vocals have tackled Rose, from belter Merman to brilliant Lansbury to weak-voiced actress Daly . . . All the Broadway Roses have had very different vocal styles.  McDonald is the most celebrated voices and actresses of Broadway history.  She'll be great!

May be the only member here who saw Merman from the first row. My ears have never been the same   August 1060

Edited by WilliamM

On 6/10/2024 at 7:26 PM, WilliamM said:

May be the only member here who saw Merman from the first row. My ears have never been the same   August 1060

Love this and so jealous. I once asked a theater-loving friend who'd seen thousands of shows since the late-forties, if he could go back and see one show, what would it be? He replied..."Anything with Ethel Merman". 

A dear-departed pal was Tulsa on Broadway under her...she left to tour and he stayed to work with Betty Grable and subsequently Ginger Rogers.

"Ethel was professional, Ginger was pleasant, but Betty was an absolute sweetheart." 

10 hours ago, skynyc said:

A dear-departed pal was Tulsa on Broadway under her...she left to tour and he stayed to work with Betty Grable and subsequently Ginger Rogers.

"Ethel was professional, Ginger was pleasant, but Betty was an absolute sweetheart." 

Yes I have heard wonderful things about Betty in Hello Dolly as well