A U.S.A. guy visiting a Canadian provider

Does it really vary from guy to guy as to accepting what we in the U.S. use as currency as opposed to what they use, or is it a given I should convert funds appropriately before seeing them?

I'm well aware that there is a difference in value, so it's possible that they would actually prefer U.S. funds because it is essentially a bit more? I'm sure the amount of difference is slight, unlike Mexico where U.S. money goes VERY far. 

Two comments for situations in comparable rich countries:

• The default should be pay in the currency of the country you're in, and if he tells you his rate and doesn't specify the currency, assume he means local
  • But ask him, and if he says USD is fine, ask what his rate is in USD, don't assume that your conversion of his stated rate is acceptable (he may not be able to convert at that rate, or he may want more than the going rate to compensate for real or perceived inconvenience - or his bank's fee - for converting the cash)

I assume they prefer the currency of whatever country you are in. I've hired multiple Toronto providers while they were visiting Buffalo and have always paid them in US currency. When I ask too what their rate is I don't ask what their Canadian rate and/or US rate is. I just ask their rate and pay them what they ask. It's extra easy anyway to convert currency here in Buffalo as even at the local mall by me they have a currency exchange kiosk with all the Canadian shoppers we get coming down.

7 minutes ago, ThroatCummer said:

At the moment, they want USD for sure. The USD is stronger and more beneficial for them. Question is are they quoting you in CAD or USD for a rate? 

If they travel frequently between Canada and the US this is probably true, but otherwise not so much. If they live their lives in Canada and have no particular use for USD why would they want them? If the CAD is sliding against the USD, of course having USD would be useful but if the rate is constant it benefits them not (unless they quote a dollar figure in CAD and the client pays them that number of USD).

Conscious one would quote different rate out of their home country. I would always ask for their quote in local currency. - easier less hassle. If i were to pay in foreign currency, i would confirm arrangement beforehand to avoid debate on fx rate.