South Asia Itinerary suggestions?

First off, note this is not a “sex tour”. I’m traveling with a friend I’ve met on seeking.

I’m looking to visit Thailand, Cambodia, and Viet Nam this fall, 14 days on the ground.

I’m a total foodie so looking forward to Thailand. 

Any suggestions on a route/plan to hit Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Min City, Ha Long Bay, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh?

I don’t mind moving around a bit but like a “base” every couple days of 3 nights or so.

Probably this is too broad of a request, but I’m curious what others here might suggest.

I suggest dropping Phnom Penh as you already have a great itinerary. No, I haven't been there, but reports I have seen show it is not as great a destination as the others. If you stay 3 nights in each city, you are at 18 nights for a 14 day trip.

3 nights in Bangkok is really shorting it.

no expert at all, but have been to all those place except Ha Long Bay......

quick comments....

flying "domestically" between these places was remarkably inexpensive.....booked the local flights ahead of time using Google Flights, etc., and didn't have any snafus......you might decide to pre-book meals and all that when booking the flights......airport operations and flights/crews were very efficient and a bit no-nonsense........

I'm not a big foodie, but did get some street food in Bangkok......it's often served in a plastic bag (my experience) and we took it back to our airbnb to put on plates......you'll probably enjoy it more than I did!.......late one night while returning from the "Hangover" movie rooftop bar location, huge rats ruled the sidewalks where street food vendors were during the day and we had to carefully watch where we stepped in the dark.......we took a river boat ride (not a guided tour) for about 30 cents (go to a "cheap" non-tourist dock), went to the Jim Thompson House (excellent!!), and the usual wats and buddhas (travel partner, usually wearing a tank top, had to rent a modesty shawl for the wats and buddha places)......generally an inexpensive city, very noisy and crowded, big, skyscrapers in all directions with no concentrated 'downtown' area of them.....and get a foot massage - holy cow!

I found Phuket to be overrated....the vegetation/landscape was somewhat desolate and almost-arid.......transport is not inexpensive if you're on your own as sites on the island are just distant enough from each other to require the captive audience to hail taxis for every little move......Bangla Rd., the very popular party district, though, was very fun and much less depressing than Pattaya's popular party area.....beach sunset views were great (if you're on a beach facing west!!!)......we didn't do any of the James Bond Island/Phi Phi stuff, but would've if we had time - very touristy, I'm sure, though.....

HCM City (Saigon) is much more modern now than years ago (skyscrapers in areas).....but the old central area still has significant remains of intact war and pre-war history, American hangouts, etc.....we even bribed a building guard 100,000 dong ($4) to go up on the roof of the building famously pictured with the last helicopter evacuation of Americans (careful!, no fence up there!!!).....nice to walk the streets, people-watch, etc.....decide what you want to see in areas away from the central part.......the Presidential Palace, the propaganda museum (War Remnants Museum) all very worth it......

and even staid Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) had a hopping party area....some California dudes offered us drugs and a young woman with a baby in tow tried to drum up business from us.......if you're on your own, just walk out from the airport and ask a taxi stand attendant if a driver is available to take you to Angkor Wat for the day (we arrived in the morning from PP).....the guidebook suggested that and we had great luck that way....embarrassingly cheap and he helped us with admissions, told us which way to walk in areas where he'd meet us later at the other end of the walk, had lunch with us, then drove us to our hotel after a fairly long day........no, we didn't fight the crowds for famous sunset/sunrise views over the ruins......

PP was ok......nice river views from a developed riverside walk downtown, but not a remarkably attractive city.....many people go there for the Khmer Rouge torture museum and the killing fields (a little ways out of town)......we only had time (one night there) for the torture museum which is right in the central area......it was worth it.....if you have more time, pick out what interests you from the guidebook!....... 

if you can wangle the time, Chiang Mai, Thailand, is very nice....mercifully cooler and less humid......whew!......flew there from Bangkok for a night or two and full day, leaving most of our stuff in the airbnb in Bangkok......took a riverboat ride, went to a Muay Thai fight thing, had a fantastic foot massage, walked inside the moat area (the historic area).....we didn't have time for the elephant attraction or the big temple up on the hill......a forum member recommended a nice little guesthouse-like place to stay and it was a great local 'old Thai'-vibe spot much nicer than staying in some chain hotel...... 

since this isn't a sex tour, skip Pattaya........depressing, but the beach is ok......

if you can squeeze in Hanoi, the central area around a small lake is very nice, especially at night.....plus the usual stuff in the guidebook.......Hanoi Hilton, HCM burial site area, B-52 Lake, etc....watch out for the constantly-honking (beeping) scooters!.......travel partner came within about six inches of getting nearly killed by one in Hanoi.......I later realized they constantly honk/beep to let others know they're there, not because they want everybody out of their way.......

even in the "dry" season, the humidity was overwhelming for a desert rat like me.......have a change of shirt at the ready!.......

wow, thanks for the chance to remember some great trips.....   

Edited by azdr0710

Have been through Cambodia and some of Thailand.  Siem Riep - if you are into food - Cuisine Wat Damnak should be on your list.  https://www.cuisinewatdamnak.com  In Bangkok one of the fine dining options I did was Nahm https://www.comohotels.com/thailand/como-metropolitan-bangkok/dining/nahm   Plenty of options for more street food in both locations.   I would add in Laos to your potential countries to visit while in the region.   Specifically Luang Prabang https://www.travelandleisure.com/how-to-visit-luang-prabang-laos-7555706  a Unesco city, relaxed setting.  Great food and diversions close by.  I flew in from Bangkok, and then flew to Vientiane (capital) and onto Cambodia from there.  Seems there is a train between Luang Prabang and Vientiane; Vientiane was ok for transit, not as overwhelming as a capital city as Bangkok or Hanoi may be.   Have fun planning!  

So I pulled the trigger on r/t tickets, into Chang Mai, Thailand and out of Saigon about 15 days later. Current thinking:

• Chiang Mai
  • Bangkok (via overnight train)
  • Siem Reap (train)
  • Ho Chi Minh City (train)
  • Saigon (flight)
  • Home

I wish we could go longer, my companion has limited vacation days, and I’m self employed and already have a lot of fall travel, so 2 weeks it is.

Re: Bangkok, I want to use my Hilton points - there’s multiple locations but I’m looking at Conrad Hilton central downtown…any comments on that location/area?

I’ll use Hilton points in Hanoi as well. Other cities I’ll explore hotels online, and listen to any suggestions!

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

The Millenium Hilton on the Chao Praya river is a fantastic hotel. I find the river to be one of the most interesting places in Bangkok. So much going on. Take a klong tour!

Thanks @Lucky I’ll check that one out. I was looking at a Hilton in Hanoi but it was a boring property, found a much nicer and pricier option!

Edit: changed to Millenium Hilton, river view room…thanks again @Lucky

On 3/19/2024 at 8:04 PM, MikeBiDude said:

First off, note this is not a “sex tour”. I’m traveling with a friend I’ve met on seeking.

I’m looking to visit Thailand, Cambodia, and Viet Nam this fall, 14 days on the ground.

I’m a total foodie so looking forward to Thailand. 

Any suggestions on a route/plan to hit Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Min City, Ha Long Bay, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh?

I don’t mind moving around a bit but like a “base” every couple days of 3 nights or so.

Probably this is too broad of a request, but I’m curious what others here might suggest.

I'll put together a longer post with suggestions in the next few days, but wanted to say it's nice to see someone travel that doesn't base their entire experience around getting laid.

South Asia is brilliant and has a lot more to offer than cheap sex.

You're already getting some great suggestions :) 

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

22 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

South Asia is brilliant and has a lot more to offer than cheap sex.

Indeed! South Asia has the Taj Mahal, excellent food in Mumbai and Chennai, the black hole of Kolkata, and the Shalimar Gardens in Lahore.

It's actually Southeast Asia that @MikeBiDude is planning to visit this fall. And Southeast Asia also has much more to offer than cheap sex. ☺️

Edited by Marc in Calif