Naperville rep - funny Chicago youtube guy

azdr0710

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Mw8Svkyzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Rz-bDpS7g

this guy does a lot of funny Chicago youtubes.......he often will mention Naperville in a way that Chicago insiders will roar with laughter about and non-locals won't understand at all........I know nothing about Naperville except that it's a suburb........what is its rep and what about it makes this guy make fun of it??......thanks

Edited by azdr0710

I’ve never been to Naperville, either, but have known people from there in the past. My impression was that it’s an upper middle class suburb filled with strivers, mainly corporate types. I know the schools and amenities are first-rate. I imagine urbanites and the old money on the north shore views Naperville as filled with arrivistes.

16 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Mw8Svkyzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Rz-bDpS7g

this guy does a lot of funny Chicago youtubes.......he often will mention Naperville in a way that Chicago insiders will roar with laughter about and non-locals won't understand at all........I know nothing about Naperville except that it's a suburb........what is its rep and what about it makes this guy make fun of it??......thanks

Thanks for pointing us to this very funny guy. He simply uses "Naperville" as his stand-in for any place that's on the distant outskirts of Chicago. It's far enough from the city to be considered distinctly "suburban."

To people in the Chicago area, there's nothing particularly special about Naperville. It has no particular reputation. He could have used Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, or Joliet and the jokes would still be just as funny and generic. 

Edited by Marc in Calif

Naperville, much like Oakbrook, is where a lot of people live typical suburban lives, saying they're 'from Chicago,' but aren't actually city dwellers. 

When I encounter other native Chicagoans, I always ask what part of the city they grew up or lived in.  90% of the time, they sheepishly admit to the East or West suburbs. 

What genuinely concerns me is when people from way down South (Park Forest, Olympia Fields) say they're Chicagoans. 

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

47 minutes ago, mike carey said:

Gary? Who cares about a little thing like a state border!

That’s so cute.

Aussie boy, Lake Michigan is one of the ”Great” Lakes. It makes up the entire Eastern Boarder of Chicago. It ain’t a state. 

image.gif.51c4ec1b8a6c3ec01c969f465f6bd0a0.gif

Of course, l’m beginning to think you already knew that and you were just making some odd Aussie joke….and now I look like an Asshole. 

grin

Posted (edited)

ok....I guess I've gotten my Naperville answer.....thanks.......we'll now drift off-topic and continue the geography lesson our local Aussie has suggested.......but please don't move this to the theater (or is it 'theatre'?) thread.......one of the great songs from one of the greatest musicals.............

Edited by azdr0710

Native Chicagoan here (grew up in the city when the street signs were black on yellow).

On 3/15/2024 at 7:13 PM, prof said:

Um, Chicago doesn't have East suburbs; that's where Lake Michigan is.

The Chicago metropolitan and combined statistical areas comprise nine Illinois counties (Cook, DuPage, Lake, McHenry, Kane, Will, and parts of DeKalb, LaSalle, and Boone counties.), part of one Wisconsin county (Kenosha), and four Indiana counties (Lake, Porter, Jasper, and Newton).  The City of Chicago and its inner suburbs are in Cook County, while the remaining counties and the suburbs within them make up the "collar counties." Therefore, the suburbs in Indiana could be classified as the "east suburbs," but they are usually referred to as part of the south suburbs or as the "Indiana suburbs." They are also known as "the places you can get cheap cigarettes."  

So...not exactly right to call them "East suburbs," but not exactly wrong, either.

22 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Hegewisch. South Deering. 

I always considered them East(ish)

Tomato-tomato.

@BenjaminNicholas, you know better! Those are Chicago neighborhoods. 

On 3/14/2024 at 5:07 PM, azdr0710 said:

....I know nothing about Naperville except that it's a suburb........what is its rep and what about it makes this guy make fun of it??......thanks

Regarding Naperville: While it is true that it is an upper middle-class suburb that's pretty much like every other upper middle-class suburb, Naperville thinks of itself as being A Very Special, Unique, and Important Place that is as significant to the region as is Chicago. Don't get me wrong, Old Naperville is charming, but Naperville it is a bedroom community and has been for more than a century. That's why Naperville gets made fun of. In days of yore (like the 1970's and 1980's) Schaumburg was the butt of jokes because it was a rapidly-developing suburb that was pretty much devoid of culture beyond the yogurt aisle at Jewel. The difference is Schaumburg was well aware that it was a suburb of Chicago and did not have the delusions of grandeur that Naperville has.