Waymo

Rod Hagen

I took one several months ago. It was cool and weird all at the same time. The downside (which has been fixed) was the route the cars took. It seemed like they took Seventh Avenue to get everywhere in Central Phoenix. Want to go to 12th Street (1200 E)? Gonna head to 7th Street (700 W) first! You live on Third Street (300 E) and want to go six blocks due north? You will get there via 7th Avenue. That said, the cars are very nice (we have Jaguars here). I feel safe in them, as they piloted them and extensively tested them here in Phoenix.

Coming next week: testing of unmanned cars on the freeway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 11:34 PM, rvwnsd said:

I took one several months ago. It was cool and weird all at the same time. The downside (which has been fixed) was the route the cars took. It seemed like they took Seventh Avenue to get everywhere in Central Phoenix. Want to go to 12th Street (1200 E)? Gonna head to 7th Street (700 W) first! You live on Third Street (300 E) and want to go six blocks due north? You will get there via 7th Avenue. That said, the cars are very nice (we have Jaguars here). I feel safe in them, as they piloted them and extensively tested them here in Phoenix.

Coming next week: testing of unmanned cars on the freeway. 

They are Jags here in LA too (in test Trial).  I saw that they are hitting the Freeway down there.  Have fun!

2 hours ago, Rod Hagen said:

They are Jags here in LA too (in test Trial).  I saw that they are hitting the Freeway down there.  Have fun!

I'm not ready to take Waymo on the freeway here. Several of ours are not up to Interstate standards and while I think it will be amusing to see how the cars handle the off ramp/on ramp combos and lanes that end only to resume several hundred feet away, I'd rather be amused from afar than experience it first-hand.