Gonococcal Arthritis

menaughty

Hello everyone,

I am writing this with a lot of sadness and pain.

I am in my late 20s. And i got my first ever STD. Long story short a week ago I woke up with a fever and then the next day all of my joints were hurting. They hurt so bad, it was a pain I have never experienced before. I cried a lot.

I was admitted to ER for a week and recently got discharged. I was diagnosed with Gonococcal Arthritis. The pain is better  now but still there and hurts. I still cannot walk. I have to take IV antibiotics daily for a couple of weeks along with pain medication.

The whole experience has traumatized me. 🥲So many mixed feeling even to the extent that I question if being gay is actually wrong. Maybe i just have to be celibate. 

I am not exactly sure what direction I want this thread to go. But I guess I am looking for words of wisdom, inspiration or maybe someone who has been is my situation can chime in. Or anything related. This experience has really shook me. Please tell me it gets better. 🥲

I’m very sorry to hear of your pain and anxiety. I want to respond to your thoughts about this affliction causing you to wonder whether being gay is “wrong.” There is nothing “wrong” about being gay; it’s perfectly natural. And an STD is a disease, not a punishment, and a risk for anyone who is sexually active—straight or gay. I personally think that the harm to mental health and well-being from denying sexuality and abstaining from this very natural act greatly outweighs the risks of potentially contracting an STD. The only lesson here is to be vigilant and safe. You will get better. 

A rough break, to be sure. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery from disseminated GC infection. That complications, for example, for women may include pelvic inflammatory disease culminating in infertility supports the ideas above that such diseases transcend orientation, gender, etc. Whereas young people are often failed in terms of prevention and surveillance education, it’s unfortunate that you have had to do your part filling in some of the gaps, but it is valuable and appreciated. 

Edited by SirBillybob

8 hours ago, menaughty said:

The whole experience has traumatized me. 🥲So many mixed feeling even to the extent that I question if being gay is actually wrong. Maybe i just have to be celibate. 

Many pleasures in life come with risks. Sex is one of them.

STDs are not specific to gay people so NO you aren't being punished for being gay.

Your brain is going to question your choices for a while but your misfortune is not so common that you need to abstain forever. You will heal and so will your spirit.

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone. That helps a lot.

this is such a tough journey of my life both physically and mentally. I am really hoping to get better soon. It is so sad to see that once an independent person that could walk anywhere now struggles even to go to the restroom. 

I am really hoping all of this gets better. 

you are guys are right about the gay part. Sex with multiple is risky for both gay or straight people. 

i just wanna get done with all of this 😭