Pay to be humiliated at Japan's "Rude Restaurant"

Ali Gator

"CBS Sunday Morning" had a segment on today about a popular restaurant in Japan among Millennials and Gen Zers known as 'The Rude Restaurant'.  The concept is for the servers to be purposely rude to the guests, to the point of insulting and humiliating you and serving you horrible - though edible - food. The young clientele love this - posting pics and video from their experiences on social media, while the owner told reporters the place is booked 'months in advance'. They point out that this is happening in a country where social etiquette has gone above and beyond for centuries - everyone is treated kindly in just about every business (stores, banks, airports, restaurants, etc). 

Why in the world would anyone go to a restaurant to be purposely and intentionally  mistreated and humiliated ? Why would these young Japanese men and women patronize this place ?  Is it just because its different from the norm ? 

(Bad enough when that happens unintentionally - like here in America.) 

43 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

Why in the world would anyone go to a restaurant to be purposely and intentionally  mistreated and humiliated ? Why would these young Japanese men and women patronize this place ?  Is it just because its different from the norm ? 

I think it's a facet of human behavior and psychology..... it's even a niche and "kink"  in the "biz" and one probably larger than most people realize.  

1 hour ago, Ali Gator said:

the place is booked 'months in advance'

I wonder if the more recent bookings are only because of social media buzz.....FOMO and only going there to post a picture of yourself there and being able to say you went there......

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Renowned for dependable hospitality and ritualized etiquette, Japan now has one restaurant where the service is dependably, defiantly atrocious. At the Lazy...

4 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

I think it's a facet of human behavior and psychology..... it's even a niche and "kink"  in the "biz" and one probably larger than most people realize.  

Excellent reminder about this 'kink' in the biz.  But in the biz is it with this demographic going to the restaurant (Millennials / Zoomers) ? For some reason I would associate it with older clientele, and a very specific clientele. 

This sounds somewhat like Dick's Last Resort.  I was with a group in Vegas with a group of people and when the waiter came over to the table, he said "Oh hell no...  ya'll aren't about to work me like this!"  He made us get up and marched us over to make our own drinks.  They would throw napkins or straws at patrons....  and at the end, they made us paper hats with insults on them.  

I had never laughed so hard at dinner before....  it was a ton of fun.  Wait staff were very witty and you could tell they loved the job.