"Hello, enormous!" - My Name Is Barbra is out now

Ali Gator

Streisand's new 992 page memoir "My Name Is Barbra" was released on Tuesday, November 7 and the reviews have been rather positive. The NY TIMES addresses the hefty book right away, with the intro "Hello, enormous!"  There's no index in the back (Streisand said in an interview she asked the publisher not to have one, so readers wouldn't look up specific people or titles and skip through the book), so you have to read through all 59 chapters to find your favorite movie, song or celebrity she's worked with. Skimming through the pages last night, I must say her writing is very engaging, as though she is having a conversation with the reader (and not just logging her personal history).

I read just one chapter last night - the one covering her album 'Wet' and her duet with Donna Summer (three pages long). She had nothing but the kindest words to say about Summer, and her sentiments were very touching. She was with Summer just a few months before her death in May, 2012 and never knew she was sick (Summer told no one). She was shocked when she got the news. 

Except for Murdoch's 'Wall Street Journal', Streisand has gotten rave reviews for her memoir across the board. Just about every critic has commented on the size of the memoir, and the details she gives - but no one seems to mind.

Except the WSJ, which headlined it's review:  "My Name Is Barbra" Review : A Star is Boring".  

WWW.WSJ.COM

A capacious memoir from Barbra Streisand chronicles a career in which supporting roles were never an option.

On the other side of the spectrum, fans are loving the book - especially the audiobook (which I haven't bought). They say listening to the audiobook is like sitting in your living room across from her, and she is having a personal conversation with you about her life. 

Streisand's book debuts on the current NYT BEST SELLER LIST, dated November 26, 2023. It's listed in "Non-Fiction Print and eBook" (combined sales) and debuts at #2, while Brittney Spears holds on to #1 for the third week in a row.  Similarly, on the list of just "Non-fiction Hard Cover" it's the same - Brittney at #1, and Barbra at #2.

Over at the USA TODAY Best Sellers - where they combine hardcover fiction and non-fiction, alone with eBook fiction and non-fiction - she debuts at #6 and Spears drops from #1 to #4. 

Still very possible Streisand might bounce up to #1 during the upcoming Christmas season. I think she will be a 'popular gift'. 

On 11/25/2023 at 2:23 PM, WilliamM said:

The book made the NY Times best selling list for non fiction books ithis Sunday 

The book remains in the TOP 10 of the NYT Non-Fiction Best Seller's List (which combines eBook, print book and audio book sales) but the book itself has been a major disappointment. 

On the USA TODAY Best Seller's List (combining fiction and non-fiction) she falls to #28, from #18 in its second week (and debuted at #6 three weeks ago).

On Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Best Sellers, she has dropped out of the list in week 3.  For the week of November 19-25, she sold only 20,0003 copies.  And this covers the week which Amazon offered 'Buy 2 Get One Free'  on her book (and other books) - so that didn't help her either. Over the three week period, she has sold just over 80,000 books according to her publisher. (Comparatively, Brittney Spears has sold just under 800,000 in five weeks on the bookshelves).

She should have released her memoir 20 - 25 years ago.

Her "Evergreens" CD - supposedly a 'tie-in' with the memoir, which was released a week before the book - has also been a flop. It has sold only 7000 copies. Her '40th Anniversary' Remasterd YENTL CD has sold about half of that. 

• 1 month later...

Despite heavy promotion, Barbara Streisand’s memoir My Name is Barbra is flopping with readers, having sold  a pathetic 212,000 copies since its release in November. A MAJOR FLOP. Exactly as Bozo had predicted.

My Name Is Barbra, retails at $47 and is almost 1,000 pages. It has sold a paltry 212,000 and is way, way out of the top 25 bestsellers for 2023 according to Publisher's Weekly:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/94047-women-ruled-the-2023-bestseller-list.html

212,000 copies sold? That is probably a grossly overestimated number. Most copies were probably bought by libraries around the country. Who wants to pay $47 for a book where she pats herself on the back and spews out her political dogma? Take your book and leave the country - like you promised!

If anyone here actually read thru the entire 1,000-page memoir, can you say whether this was in it  - "During the COVID-19 pandemic, Barbra Streisand’s film company paid the groundskeeper at her $20 million Malibu estate using some of the $209,000 it received from Paycheck Protection Program loans."?
Streisand is a crook that should be in prison!
She is also a hypocrite and a pathological liar - a pestilent boil on the buttocks of society. She is a typical elitist loudmouth. 
Barbara Streisand is a grotesque, over-medicated Hollywood cultist who sings like chalk on a blackboard (my apologies if blackboard is a racist word).

Streisand was a 'B' lister back in the 1970s.
It is 50 years past time for Streisand to shut up and retire.

There are plenty of good charities, i.e. homeless vets, cancer prevention, etc. that could use the $47 a lot more than that ugly old hag who steals money from people.

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember that Streisand   as a  failure in the 1970s.

Not ool to donate her Malibu  property in the  canyons to a  non profit

So no much  

Money to keep the property up

And she paid  attention to Judy   Garland ' advice

The difference  Judy had weekly  tv show in 1973 1964

Streisand never had  that

I saw her Funny Girl in 1964

She was a usher  on  Broadway  for The Sound of Music 

On 11/8/2023 at 9:10 AM, Ali Gator said:

I read just one chapter last night - the one covering her album 'Wet' and her duet with Donna Summer (three pages long). She had nothing but the kindest words to say about Summer, and her sentiments were very touching. She was with Summer just a few months before her death in May, 2012 and never knew she was sick (Summer told no one). She was shocked when she got the news. 

My favorite conspiracy theory about Mrs. Brolin seems totally plausible to me-- and not (just) because I made it up.  NO MORE TEARS was really a battle between God and the Devil...

I occasionally used to listen to Casey Kasem do America's Top 40.  When NMT rocketed to #1 almost immediately, he noted that it was the 666th #1 in the history of the Billboard pop chart, but the 1st by 2 women (it might've been 2 unrelated women).  Many people thought disco was evil and here was one of the world's great voices going over to the dark side to record a duet with the Queen of Disco... and it just happened to be released just in time to be the 666th #1?!?!?  Obviously, this was the work of the devil.

However, Mrs. Sudano was known to be a very religious woman, which is probably why the song had one of the fastest falls out of the top 40 (and top 100?) of any #1 song.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:49 PM, Ali Gator said:

the WSJ, which headlined it's review:  "My Name Is Barbra" Review : A Star is Boring".  

I don't remember if it was the NYPost or Daily News that titled their review of her "A star is born" "A bore is starred."

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

17 hours ago, samhexum said:

However, Mrs. Sudano was known to be a very religious woman, which is probably why the song had one of the fastest falls out of the top 40 (and top 100?) of any #1 song.

It also had one of the fastest rise to the #1 position at the time - six short weeks. It stayed in the Hot 100 for 15 weeks, achieved Gold status (1M copies sold) on February 11, 1980 and Platinum status (2M copies sold) in 1997. It was the first 12" single to top the new 'Disco / Dance Chart' where it stayed for four weeks.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:43 AM, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Despite heavy promotion, Barbara Streisand’s memoir My Name is Barbra is flopping with readers, having sold  a pathetic 212,000 copies since its release in November. A MAJOR FLOP. Exactly as Bozo had predicted.

Heavy promotion ? 

She did the 'CBS Morning Show' on November 5 and 6, for a very brief interview (split into two parts; less than 10 minutes each ) with Gayle King.

She did a ninety-minute interview with Howard Stern on his radio show, available on Sirius Radio (subscription only) a few days later. 

She did an interview with Stephen Colbert, a few weeks after the book release, in which he monopolized the whole interview and talked about himself. 

She did a 'virtual' meet and greet with B&N a month after the book's release, in which one had to buy the book from B&N (in person or online) to get a promo code to the 'private event'. 

You call that heavy promotion ?

Meanwhile, a few weeks after Streisand released her memoir,  politician Liz Cheney released hers. The difference ?  Liz Cheney was on just about every morning talk show, every Sunday talk show, every cable TV talk show - even those by 'liberal hosts' (as they acknowledged) where nobody would think she'd ever show up ('The Rachel Maddow Show', 'The View'),  to be interviewed about her book. She made herself accessible to all - didn't do subscription radio interviews, didn't do a private event. She even did a 'book tour' in between, signing copies at local bookstores.

NOW THAT'S HEAVY PROMOTION. 

She landed at #1 and stayed there for most of the two months since her book's release.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:43 AM, BOZO T CLOWN said:

My Name Is Barbra, retails at $47 and is almost 1,000 pages. It has sold a paltry 212,000 and is way, way out of the top 25 bestsellers for 2023 according to Publisher's Weekly:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/94047-women-ruled-the-2023-bestseller-list.html

212,000 copies sold? That is probably a grossly overestimated number. Most copies were probably bought by libraries around the country. Who wants to pay $47 for a book where she pats herself on the back and spews out her political dogma? Take your book and leave the country - like you promised!

If anyone here actually read thru the entire 1,000-page memoir, can you say whether this was in it  - "During the COVID-19 pandemic, Barbra Streisand’s film company paid the groundskeeper at her $20 million Malibu estate using some of the $209,000 it received from Paycheck Protection Program loans."?
Streisand is a crook that should be in prison!
She is also a hypocrite and a pathological liar - a pestilent boil on the buttocks of society. She is a typical elitist loudmouth. 
Barbara Streisand is a grotesque, over-medicated Hollywood cultist who sings like chalk on a blackboard (my apologies if blackboard is a racist word).

Streisand was a 'B' lister back in the 1970s.
It is 50 years past time for Streisand to shut up and retire.

There are plenty of good charities, i.e. homeless vets, cancer prevention, etc. that could use the $47 a lot more than that ugly old hag who steals money from people.

BTC

@BTC - why don"t you tell us what you really think of her?  Bab's voice is like "chalk on a blackboard"!  My oh my.  I am stunned at such insulting comments.  There is no one comparable to Babs.  Her voice is powerful, meaningful, beautiful, effortless.  She is one of my few all time favs.  Political views, book writing, acting, all else aside, you cannot take away her vocal talents!

16 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

Heavy promotion ? 

She did the 'CBS Morning Show' on November 5 and 6, for a very brief interview (split into two parts; less than 10 minutes each ) with Gayle King.

She did a ninety-minute interview with Howard Stern on his radio show, available on Sirius Radio (subscription only) a few days later. 

She did an interview with Stephen Colbert, a few weeks after the book release, in which he monopolized the whole interview and talked about himself. 

She did a 'virtual' meet and greet with B&N a month after the book's release, in which one had to buy the book from B&N (in person or online) to get a promo code to the 'private event'. 

You call that heavy promotion ?

Do I call that heavy promotion? Yes. VERY HEAVY. Certainly compared to the top 25 of 2023 on in the Publishers Weekly list (with the possible exception of Taylor Swift's tome). And, btw, you forgot to mention all of the free publicity the book received with the four-page spread in PEOPLE Magazine and its sister website, PEOPLE.COM, following the book's release. That was something none of the Top 25 books received:

PEOPLE.COM

Barbra Streisand gets candid in her new memoir 'My Name Is Barbra,' out now

Not to mention all of the free publicity the book got in this forum thanks to @Ali Gator three threads on the book.

IMHO, $47 is a coffee table book price. For that, Bozo expects large, full-color photos of something beautiful and interesting, not idiotic political opinions illustrated with photos of Barbra Streisand. You'd have to pay me 47 bucks to look at that.

That hypocritical old harlot wants to steal from the poor and middle class while she gets wealthier, brainwash them with her politics, and demonize those who dare to disagree with her. Just another rich Marxist grifting off the taxpayers.

Barbra Streisand's philosophy is: Of course, who cares if I'm an ugly old hag that steals money from people? it's me me all the time, I'm so perfect I'm so beautiful. 
Sure keep saying that in the mirror. Nobody else thinks so. You have to wonder how much she pays her undocumented maids and servants.
One would think the pathetic sales #'s of her 1000-page book would serve as a wake-up call? It would to most, but not to this elitist egomaniac. Likely, it will be an excuse to write another 1000-page overpriced autobiography.  She's probably yelling at her husband: "Oy, these people are so stupid! Don't they realize how great I am? James, get me an aspirin. And be quick!"

Someone should have told Streisand's publicist that the book's poor sales were a timing problem.
If Barbra had released it during the toilet paper shortage at the beginning of the pandemic, sales would have been higher.
Much higher!

♫" You don't send me flowers,..... aaanymoooore..."

BTC

4 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Do I call that heavy promotion? Yes. VERY HEAVY. Certainly compared to the top 25 of 2023 on in the Publishers Weekly list (with the possible exception of Taylor Swift's tome). And, btw, you forgot to mention all of the free publicity the book received with the four-page spread in PEOPLE Magazine and its sister website, PEOPLE.COM, following the book's release. That was something none of the Top 25 books received:

PEOPLE.COM

Barbra Streisand gets candid in her new memoir 'My Name Is Barbra,' out now

Not to mention all of the free publicity the book got in this forum thanks to @Ali Gator three threads on the book.

IMHO, $47 is a coffee table book price. For that, Bozo expects large, full-color photos of something beautiful and interesting, not idiotic political opinions illustrated with photos of Barbra Streisand. You'd have to pay me 47 bucks to look at that.

That hypocritical old harlot wants to steal from the poor and middle class while she gets wealthier, brainwash them with her politics, and demonize those who dare to disagree with her. Just another rich Marxist grifting off the taxpayers.

Barbra Streisand's philosophy is: Of course, who cares if I'm an ugly old hag that steals money from people? it's me me all the time, I'm so perfect I'm so beautiful. 
Sure keep saying that in the mirror. Nobody else thinks so. You have to wonder how much she pays her undocumented maids and servants.
One would think the pathetic sales #'s of her 1000-page book would serve as a wake-up call? It would to most, but not to this elitist egomaniac. Likely, it will be an excuse to write another 1000-page overpriced autobiography.  She's probably yelling at her husband: "Oy, these people are so stupid! Don't they realize how great I am? James, get me an aspirin. And be quick!"

Someone should have told Streisand's publicist that the book's poor sales were a timing problem.
If Barbra had released it during the toilet paper shortage at the beginning of the pandemic, sales would have been higher.
Much higher!

♫" You don't send me flowers,..... aaanymoooore..."

BTC

WWW.CEDARS-SINAI.ORG

The center, part of the Cedars-Sinai Smidt Heart Institute, plays a leading role in identifying female-pattern heart disease, developing diagnostic tools and advancing...

On 1/29/2024 at 2:58 AM, Redwine56 said:

@BTC - why don"t you tell us what you really think of her?  Bab's voice is like "chalk on a blackboard"!  My oh my.  I am stunned at such insulting comments.  There is no one comparable to Babs.  Her voice is powerful, meaningful, beautiful, effortless.  She is one of my few all time favs.  Political views, book writing, acting, all else aside, you cannot take away her vocal talents!

Judy Garland   had  Ethel Merman  and BS  on  her  weekly variety show on CBS in the Fall of  1963

She  held her own against Garland and Merman  not easy !

14 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Judy Garland   had  Ethel Merman  and BS  on  her  weekly variety show on CBS in the Fall of  1963

She  held her own against Garland and Merman  not easy !

And it appeared that Babs and Judy got along well together.  Judy did herself in shortly afterwards.  I found Liza with so much of her mother's style.  She was great as well.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:08 AM, Redwine56 said:

And it appeared that Babs and Judy got along well together.  Judy did herself in shortly afterwards.  I found Liza with so much of her mother's style.  She was great as well.

Shortly afterwards ????

She died 6 years later - not six months. Six years is not exactly 'shortly afterwards'.