Social security COLA for 2024 announced

My employer actually encouraged me to retire at 60, by giving me one year's extra pay to do so; that way they could hire a young replacement for the years until I was 65, for much less money than they were paying me (I had a tenured teaching job). So I took early retirement at 60, but I used the extra year's salary plus part-time consulting work, so I didn't start taking SS until I was 65. My spouse retired at 62 and began taking SS immediately, but he is eight years older than I am, so by the time I started, my base was already higher than his, and because of the system of only adding the same percentage of the individual's current payment to each annual increase, my SS monthly payment has become progressively larger than his over the years. Neither one of us could live comfortably on his own on his single SS, but we might be able to at least manage on our combined SS; luckily, we have other income sources that are greater than our SS income, so the SS is a supplement rather than the primary source, as is probably true for most middle class retirees.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, Bargara Leatherboy said:

thanks for sharing - my husband gets a US Social Security payment - and we always get our notifications about 3 months after it is mailed - as it comes via sea mail down to Australia 

Can it be done electronically?  If he has access to a U.S. checking account, he could get direct deposit.

I got my first disability direct deposit for the year today and after the increased Medicare part B deduction & increased deduction for my dental rider, it's $38 more than I got last year.

The amount I'm allowed to earn went up $80/mo (before taxes), so I figure I'll have ~$100 more a month all told.

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell