Proving I'm a human?

prof

Each time I've been on this site in the last few days, my browsing has been interrupted by a page with orange lettering that requires me to prove I'm a human. A puzzle then appears, & I have to place a dot where a car ended its trip. Did I miss an announcement about this? Anyone else experiencing it?

Generally, this is because you're accessing from something other than a residential internet service provider. If you use a VPN to access, many sites "risk score" the IP address of the VPN you're using and can think it is abuse/hacking/whatever and prompt those challenges. If you're using a VPN, try connecting to another server from your VPN provider.  This is the likely cause. It's because of all the "crap" traffic on the internet these days. 

It may also not be the site itself. @RadioRob could be (actually, he should be!) using a proxy like CloudFlare to manage traffic and they will sometimes throw a prompt as well based on certain flags from some traffic. I make my people use CloudFlare for all our companies and sites on the internet. It's all in the name of protecting the site and trying to figure out who is legit and who is hacking you.  

Edited by ThroatCummer

44 minutes ago, ThroatCummer said:

Generally, this is because you're accessing from something other than a residential internet service provider. If you use a VPN to access, many sites "risk score" the IP address of the VPN you're using and can think it is abuse/hacking/whatever and prompt those challenges. If you're using a VPN, try connecting to another server from your VPN provider.  This is the likely cause. It's because of all the "crap" traffic on the internet these days. 

It may also not be the site itself. @RadioRob could be (actually, he should be!) using a proxy like CloudFlare to manage traffic and they will sometimes throw a prompt as well based on certain flags from some traffic. I make my people use CloudFlare for all our companies and sites on the internet. It's all in the name of protecting the site and trying to figure out who is legit and who is hacking you.  

Thank you for this explanation!

It’s actually a security tool used by our hosting provider (which is using AWS platform).  

The most common reason as @ThroatCummer noted is VPN usage. You share an IP address with thousands of other users who could be using that VPN to do bad things. This causes that address to get a bad reputation and everyone that shares it ends up being punished.