Dry Eyes, OTC lubricating drops, Punctal Plugs, Xiidra

Rod Hagen

Xiidra is a miracle prescription drop for dry eyes.  Absolute miracle.  I've been using Xiidra in my bothersome left eye for two year now and I can tell you nothing, not the most expensive over the counter eyedrops coupled with punctal plugs, NOTHING has worked as well as Xiidra.  It's actually a miracle as far as I'm concerned, it has very much improved the quality of my life. The mechanism of action isn't understood if I remember right.  The only adverse effect I've noticed is there can be a slight, transient, metallic taste after the drops, but you can avoid that easily by pressing your finger against the area above the duct for thirty seconds after applying the drops.  ENJOY!

2 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

My eyes are burning when I wake up. Eye doc said use OTC drops like Systane/Refreshe and that usually sets me up for the entire day. Do I assume your eyes are much drier all day long?  Thanks for the comments. 

Yes, Systane and Refresh were not enough to give me consistent/sufficient relief.  I'm very glad they are for you.  -RH

Edited by Rod Hagen

On 7/31/2023 at 8:40 AM, Rod Hagen said:

... The mechanism of action isn't understood if I remember right...

It blocks inflammatory cell response. It's one of the safer alternatives for the condition it treats (keratoconjunctivitis sicca). Of course, if the problem is allergies, Zaditor/ketotifen is a good choice. It's an interesting molecule which has various mechanisms of action, an antihistamine being one of them. Some people find it stings when it goes in. Among allergy drops, once-a-day Pataday (olopatadine) seems to be almost universally well-tolerated. It's generic and over-the-counter. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

It blocks inflammatory cell response. It's one of the safer alternatives for the condition it treats (keratoconjunctivitis sicca). Of course, if the problem is allergies, Zaditor/ketotifen is a good choice. It's an interesting molecule which has various mechanisms of action, an antihistamine being one of them. Some people find it stings when it goes in. Among allergy drops, once-a-day Pataday (olopatadine) seems to be almost universally well-tolerated. It's generic and over-the-counter. 

Zaditor does sting first thing in the morning - but it works so well that I think the momentary stinging is worth putting up with.  The second dose, late in the day, doesn't seem to sting. 

56 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Zaditor does sting first thing in the morning - but it works so well that I think the momentary stinging is worth putting up with.  The second dose, late in the day, doesn't seem to sting. 

Just try Pataday, once. It might just do just as well without the stinging, and is only once a day. I think it'll work at least as well, but if it doesn't, you can just switch back. 

I've been thinking of this thread I started and decided I wanted to emphasize Punctal Plugs as a very good option for dry eyes.  Although I need Xiidra for my left eye, my right eye, which was also uncomfortably dry for years, is entirely under control simply with one punctal plug.  

It takes an ophthalmologist less than a minute to implant a Punctal Plug, and if you choose that simple route, it's quite possible that you will be liberated from drops, rx or over the counter, for life.  Lastly, if one Punctal Plug doesn't QUITE seem to be doing the job, the Ophthalmologist can implant a second one, just know that your eye(s) might be a slightly watery.