Thoughts on the New York Pride March Thread

Ganymede255

I see that Cooper has closed the previous thread on this subject.   He was right to do so because it had descended into personal invective.  I've been mostly a watcher for around 20 years, commenting rarely and always trying to avoid anything that would draw the fire of either extreme of the political spectrum.

But I am impelled on this occasion to make a point.  I fully support the rights of all persons, including persons in drag, to be themselves without fear.  But the drag marchers made a colossal mistake at NY Pride.  Their attempt to be funny or ironic by chanting they were coming for "your children" was counterproductive to say the least.   While our community may understand the irony and comedy of such a chant, many voters are likely to take their words literally, and right-wing influencers and politicians will be sure to tell their audiences that the paraders meant what they said and must be cast into hell.

The hard won achievement of LBGTQI rights is increasingly under pressure, as SCOTUS is demonstrating, and the LGBTQI community needs to think hard about moderating its irony/humor and all of its words and actions lest we feed the strength of those who wish to reverse what we have achieved.