Advice Sought on Consolidators

Lucky

@mike carey did not respond. Yesterday I spoke at length with two providers. They seemed quite knowledgeable about flights and airlines. Their quotes on my favorite itinerary were only $100 apart. Not sure how I pick which one to use sine they were both so helpful.

1 minute ago, Lucky said:

@mike carey did not respond. Yesterday I spoke at length with two providers. They seemed quite knowledgeable about flights and airlines. Their quotes on my favorite itinerary were only $100 apart. Not sure how I pick which one to use sine they were both so helpful.

I only just saw the topic. I haven't used them to book but I have used them to research as that gives you an idea about what is possible. Most of what I have read about using them is that in 95%+ cases you book and fly without incident, but as with every means of booking the test is what happens if there are issues, either yours (change, cancellation etc) or the airline's (cancellations, delays, missed connections). One issue to consider is that consolidators may have their own T&Cs that add to the airline's so check that. If you're booking on-line (which from this post is not clear), my inclination would be to research with them and see if you can find the same or a similar fare on the airline's website (they pointed me to airlines I wouldn't have thought of, and reputable ones not Air Burkina Faso!).

Since you said you were talking to providers, that implies that you would have a point of contact if any issues arise on your trip. Whether $100 is a big deal really depends on what the total fare is (Captain Obvious, I know).

As I implied, I assumed 'consolidator' to mean the on-line ones like Expedia, and what I have learnt is about using them, and resources like Google flight searches and Amex travel. If there are consolidators in the US that are accessed by phone that's not something I'm familiar with (although it doesn't sound too different to a travel agent). Good luck! But then, you're Lucky.

can one of you give me examples of the most popular "consolidators"?......I've heard the term in travel, but don't know what exactly defines one as opposed to hotwire/priceline/et al......it almost sounds like it could mean a tour company or a travel agency.......thanks

I think you mean a company like Aran Grant.  They have some sister sites with different names   I purchased a ticket with them, but haven’t flown the flights yet   Price was great and I can see the ticket on the airline website so I’m pretty happy with it   But I hear the complications come if you need change flights or if there are irregular opps. 

ARANGRANT.COM

Top Business Class flights and inexpensive First Class air tickets for secured business ticket booking...

A point of clarification. I had assumed that 'consolidators' was an alternative term for 'aggregators' and replied (late) to @Lucky's question on that basis. They are not the same. Consolidators are brokers who on-sell tickets to travel agents (and the public) and have been around since before the internet. Aggregators are on-line firms that by whatever arrangements they can make offer price comparisons and sell tickets to the public. Think Priceline, Kayak and Booking.com. It seems a bunch of them are owned by one company.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Sorry for creating that confusion.