Naples Archaeological Museum--an incredible surprise for me.

We're at the airport lounge, now finished with our whirlwind tour of Italy and eastern Mediterranean cruise. While our ship was docked in Naples, I had booked a tour of the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. I've been to those places previously, but thought my beau would enjoy the trip. In any case, the tour was cancelled at the last minute. We thought of booking another trip, but then he said maybe we could have a more relaxing day and just tour Naples. I'd been through Naples three times previously, but never stopped--always on my way to somewhere else. So we headed first to the Archaeological Museum then took Rick Steves' walking tour from there. 

The museum was one of the most fantastic I'd ever seen. I found it difficult to believe how well all of these beautiful paintings, frescoes, and statues were preserved. We'd try to imagine how things were then, and further imagine how much better the world would be now had not Constantine converted Rome to Christianity, thereby sinking Europe into 1000 years of technological and artistic darkness. The Roman artists of the 1st Century AD were so much more talented than any European artist of the Middle Ages. 

We also took on most of RS's walk, including the Duomo. I can't say I was too impressed by the city itself, and my man called it the "most disgusting city" he'd seen. At one point, he almost stepped on a dead rat. Fortunately near the end of the walk, at that point he said he couldn't take it any more and we went back to the ship. He was very impressed by the museum, but this will probably be our last time touring this city! But I'm so glad we made it to this wonderful museum!