In Memoriam- Powerful WWI Novel With Gay Leads

Lucky

Kudos to author Alice Winn who has written convincingly about two men who go from a posh boarding school in England to the front lines of World War One. Her novel is powerful and moving as she details life at the school and life at war. There are many interesting characters in the novel, but Henry Gaunt and Sidney Ellwood as the leads are beautifully created characters. Those of us who like men should enjoy a novel about boys and men, even men at war. World War One is all but forgotten, but Winn brings it to life in a reverent way that acknowledges the pain and loss of the war. I give her credit for the sex scenes as she really seems to get it!

Anyway, lovers of good books should enjoy this novel as much as I did. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

41r2KuibwiL._SY346_.jpg

Edited by Lucky

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lucky said:

Kudos to author Alice Winn who has written convincingly about two men who go from a posh boarding school in England to the front lines of World War One. Her novel is powerful and moving as she details life at the school and life at war. There are many interesting characters in the novel, but Henry Gaunt and Sidney Ellwood as the leads are beautifully created characters. Those of us who like men should enjoy a novel about boys and men, even men at war. World War One is all but forgotten, but Winn brings it to life in a reverent way that acknowledges the pain and loss of the war. I give her credit for the sex scenes as she really seems to get it!

Anyway, lovers of good books should enjoy this novel as much as I did. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

41r2KuibwiL._SY346_.jpg

Did you read Flower of Iowa? 

Curious how In Memoriam compares.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I just ordered a copy.  Here are two other gay novels I've read and recommend that have WWI as the backdrop:

THE WORLD AND ALL THAT IT HOLDS by Aleksandar Hemon (2023) A story of the love of two men and the horrors of war.

ALEC by William di Canzio (2021) which is an imagining of what happens to the lovers from MAURICE. A sort-of sequel. Deeply romantic.

• 4 weeks later...