Pep advice urgent

Pittlookalike

I think you and advance for immediate help.  I was taking descovy, but stopped it about a week ago.   At the end of last week I received the first injectable prep. I was told to wait 30 days to engage in unprotected sex.  Tonight I stupidly bottomed unprotected.   Well, my partner said he was HIV negative. I want to take pep.   Is the same descovy pill that I had been taking, but it stopped and acceptable medication for pep?   If so, for how long should I take the descovy pill?  

I know that I am stupid to have done this and I know that I can call my doctor and ask the same question which I will do tomorrow but I would like any advice now

Most health insurance plans offer a helpline you can call 24/7. Usually staffed by nurse practitioners - I would call them for immediate assistance. That being said, injectable prep is new to almost everyone - not sure if there is an answer readily available. I am surprised they did not suggest you keep taking Descovy for part of the 30 days it takes the new medication to take hold.

I hope you are ok, particularly in terms of mental stress.

I’d urge people on these types of matters to consult their doctors as first option. 24/7 assistance is available even if you don’t have insurance, doesn’t have to be your regular provider, and the hassle of seeking it out is better than acting on any incorrect or unqualified response from our community. And if you need any immediate prescriptions or treatment, no one here can provide that for you. 

After the fact guidance or sharing experiences can of course be welcome and helpful. 

What do the moderators think?

I say this not to criticize the OP - but to ensure similar questions are never dealt with incorrectly - we are not medical professionals.