Bob Fosse’s Dancin

foxy

I saw the show today. If you think you’d like to see it you’d better hurry. After only 82 performances the show will end it’s run May 14. No Tony nominations didn’t seem to help but today looked like a pretty full house. It’s a shame it’s closing since it’s an enjoyable show. The Playbill lists 22 dancers. I think I counted 15 on stage at the same time. They’re all incredibly talented and some very good singers. Each dancer is unique with their own style. Several get solos. The opening number of Act 2 is Benny Goodman’s Sing, Sing, Sing is worth the price of admission alone. The original show opened in 1978 lasted 1774 performances. 

D1BEC253-9A0D-4A6E-81D4-20AFD3D638DC.jpeg

I, too, am surprised it’s closing. The show is extremely entertaining, fast moving,  and professional. These actors/dancers/singers work very hard to put on this amazing production. I couldn’t tell if there was an orchestra or not but the music was great. 

If you plan on seeing it before it closes, I’d recommend sitting in the mezzanine in order to get a better view of the dance numbers. I doubt the people sitting in the front row could see the dancers’ feet. 

They've been on TDF since opening. That never bodes well.

It didn't get great reviews when it opened. I just don't think that Wayne Cliento was the right choice for director. 

The cast is talented, but many of them aren't masters of the technique in the way that the performers in the original or even Fosse were. 

On 5/3/2023 at 8:47 PM, foxy said:

I saw the show today. If you think you’d like to see it you’d better hurry. After only 82 performances the show will end it’s run May 14. No Tony nominations didn’t seem to help but today looked like a pretty full house. It’s a shame it’s closing since it’s an enjoyable show. The Playbill lists 22 dancers. I think I counted 15 on stage at the same time. They’re all incredibly talented and some very good singers. Each dancer is unique with their own style. Several get solos. The opening number of Act 2 is Benny Goodman’s Sing, Sing, Sing is worth the price of admission alone. The original show opened in 1978 lasted 1774 performances. 

On 5/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, Cooper said:

I, too, am surprised it’s closing. The show is extremely entertaining, fast moving,  and professional. These actors/dancers/singers work very hard to put on this amazing production. I couldn’t tell if there was an orchestra or not but the music was great. 

If you plan on seeing it before it closes, I’d recommend sitting in the mezzanine in order to get a better view of the dance numbers. I doubt the people sitting in the front row could see the dancers’ feet. 

20 hours ago, foxy said:

It’s true the show is not very Fosse. Maybe they should have just called it Dancin’ .

This thread makes me think of Jerome Robbins' Bored-way, which I walked out of at intermission, and my 2 friends who'd stayed walked out of after one second act number.  It was all numbers you wouldn't have picked over other numbers from that show, and was as dull as dishwater. 

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it