Odd Experiences on Grindr

dutchal

Am almost daily getting an odd sort of contact on Grindr:  The profile pic(s) is/are invariably of a good-looking young Asian guy; the stats such as age, height and weight are almost always a poor match for the pic(s); the distance indicator shows a distance of between 100 and 200 miles away; the profile indicates the guy is looking for something other/more than a casual hook-up; the opening line is usually a full sentence, something along the lines of How have you been recently?".  The first few times I responded, and I got back something like:  "What are you looking for on here?  I am looking for a long-term relationship."  Now I just delete them, and I never hear more from that particular one.

Anybody else getting the same messages?  Anybody engaged long enough to figure out what's really happening?

It’s a scam, it’s not new, and it’s not just limited to Grindr. I’ve gotten similar messages on all the apps, and regular social media. The pics are always of a handsome, hot guy; the messages are full sentences, that quickly move into talk of love, an LTR, etc.. In the past the guy has claimed he’s in the army, on deployment. During covid, I had a few where the claim was to be “stranded” abroad during lockdown. The scammer usually tries to move the conversation off the app or platform you’re messaging on to something like Google chat. Regardless of who is in the pics, I’m sure the person on the other end is typing from some data mining boiler room in Lagos. Just block them, and move on 👍🏻

Edited by BtmBearDad

16 hours ago, Italiano said:

OMG I am devastated! I just got a message on Grindr from a 19 yo Asian boy who fell in love with my pics and who would like to make me rich with him with some sort of crypto something. I was SO convinced it was true!! 😅

As I live in Hong Kong, those same “gorgeous boys” visit my phone very often. I am not rich yet 😥😥

On 3/18/2023 at 6:50 AM, Italiano said:

OMG I am devastated! I just got a message on Grindr from a 19 yo Asian boy who fell in love with my pics and who would like to make me rich with him with some sort of crypto something. I was SO convinced it was true!! 😅

Isn't true love wonderful