The life of Pi

spider

I saw it in the west end in July and liked the play better than the movie.   The puppetry was really good.   I didn't know it was coming to broadway.

Another west end musical I went to and really enjoyed was Back to the Future.   Hope that makes it to Broadway.   Roger Bart was perfect for the part.

• 5 weeks later...

Today I saw the matinee performance of the Life of Pi. I thought it was terrific. The animal puppets are pretty astounding. Hiran Abeysekera stars as Pi and is wonderful. He won an Olivier Award for his performance at the West End in London. I had a good seat in the mezzanine which I think gives a better view of the stage and the really creative lighting. I’d recommend it highly. 

D40A341B-D60F-49A3-A095-1F614BB429D4.jpeg

306DA579-0B8A-4EB5-9056-30F56B03FC63.jpeg

5565DD87-F127-478A-8C4F-8E817017CC55.jpeg

459700E2-6A4D-40FD-A9C3-61C94D38B1F3.jpeg

Life of Pi was 1st a novel (2001), then, a 2012 movie, and now a Broadway play! Currently, it’s an easy ticket to get @TKTS or TDF but that might soon change as it’s receiving rave reviews. 

It’s a fascinating story about a 17 year old boy named Pi who tells of his adventures surviving on a life boat after the cargo ship goes down. He encounters many animals that his family brought along. If you saw the play War Horse, the animals are life size puppets. After awhile you’ll think they are real. 

The Playbill lists 2 actors who play the very demanding role of Pi. I saw it with Adi Dixit. He was very likable and exciting to watch. The 1st Act has a very dramatic ending leaving the audience waiting for more. 

A very mesmerizing play!