The Castro

ericwinters

The Castro has never really been much of a gourmet "fine-dining" destination. Occasionally there's a really good place that opens and then closes after a year or several years. But you'll easily find some good casual places that have been popular for many years and even decades.

However, Frances has been a recognized Michelin-star gem of a restaurant since 2009. The owner/chef, Melissa Perello, has an impeccable pedigree. She opened another Michelin-award place (not in the Castro) in 2015. 

L'Ardoise is more of a French bistro, with prices to match, but it can be excellent.

10 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Frances has been a recognized Michelin-star gem of a restaurant since 2009.

I entirely agree. I’ve had dinner at Frances many times. And I rate it more highly than her sibling restaurant in Pacific Heights (even tho that’s much closer to my house).

I’d also recommend Delfina on 18th Street & Guerrero. This long-standing favorite Italian restaurant and pizzeria has been newly and beautifully refurbished. It’s in the Mission district but it’s an easy walk (8-10minutes) from Frances on 17th & Pond St.

A ‘foodie’ would find much to salivate over and enjoy in ‘Gourmet Gulch’ (local nickname), the area around Delfina with Tartine Bakery (superb) and Bi-Rite Market (wonderful grocery & ice-cream) and in a separate store nearby Bi-Rite Creamery.

Reserve ahead. If you can’t or won’t reserve, arrive a few minutes before opening time. Both Delfina & Frances keep a few places for walk-ins. Bear in mind that Frances is a small place (which I prefer) and has no room for strollers or people’s luggage!

Gentlemen, this is a most interesting conversation but it has quickly, and I suspect unsurprisingly, become one about a place and what culinary delights are available there, rather than one about members cooking up a storm, the intended focus of the 'What's Cooking' forum. While I acknowledge that for some participants in the thread, travel to the Castro may involve only a Muni or BART trip, for most of us it involves more, and in some cases far more substantial travel. For that reason it sits better in the Travel Desk.