Bad Cinderella

skynyc

Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest show began previews tonight at the Imperial and It's a hot mess of fun. There's something for everyone, and the eye candy is extraordinary. In the Fairy Tale land of Belle-ville, "Beauty is our Duty" sing the stunning chorus of gorgeous men and women. Double entendres fill the lyrics and there's one number that looks like it came off the stage of the Gaiety. Six shirtless men, ordered by the queen to give her twenty and they do. All six do 20 push-ups before a robust dance number...the lights just accentuating their sweaty gleam. "Hunk's Song" and "Man's Man" made me almost feel like I was at a Village People concert. 

The cast is having fun. The beautiful step sisters played by Sami Gayle (from Blue Bloods and Baby June in Patti's Gypsy) and Morgan Higgins chew the scenery as "an imbecile and one half as smart". Carolee Carmello as the Stepmother is rocking the stage with her nemesis the Queen, played by Grace McLean (Woodrow Wilson in Suffs). The song "I Know You" is a highlight. The Godmother here is a throwaway, she has an interesting number "Beauty Has a Price", which is carefully staged with eerie, almost floating mannequins. Jordan Dobson is cute as the "not-cute" Prince Sebastian...a reluctant replacement in the kingdom's eyes after the death of his perfect older brother, Charming. His ballad "Only You, Lonely You" will be sung at auditions by tenors for decades. Linedy Genao is terrific as Cinderella, too pretty to pull off being the only girl in the kingdom not obsessed with her looks. She sings well, and though her songs are all two verses too long, they allow her to shine. She will be a teen favorite overnight, a la Christy Altomare in Anastasia.

The book is cute...but predictable. The score is typical ALW, most songs have too many verses to try to get you to remember them, and many have the classic orchestral swell to say..."this is the emotional part". The sets and costumes are really great...you see where your ticket money is going. 

Folks will love or hate this, probably based on their generation. It borders on vulgar a couple times, one sister offering to give the prince a "happy ending", etc. It will be interesting to see how this plays in the press and reviews. 

Spoiler alert, not too bad though since he's listed in the program: Prince Charming returns and he's straight out of casting from a 1960s Hercules movie. Cameron Loyal can sing the part, has a body of death and has been costumed in pants that verge on obscene. If his dance belt ever slips, the ladies in the front row are going to be surprised. There's another predictable twist here, but one spoiler is enough. 

It was fun to be at the first preview...I'm sure a pre-show martini didn't hurt. At the end of the performance Carmello thanked the audience for being there for their first show...and called to the front all those making their Broadway debuts...and it was truly half the cast. Oh, and I spotted ALW at the back as I ran up the aisle to beat the bathroom rush at intermission. 

The Deets...for some reason, our row in the orchestra was much cheaper than the one in front and behind, so we only paid $99 plus fees. I am actually going to see if I can get these seats again for a return visit. The show ran 2:40, but started at 8:14. The little girl and her mom next to us loved it. She was about 8, and at the end, when Cinderella and Sebastian kissed, started clapping and cheering. The Princess thing still runs strong. 

Edited by skynyc

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 11:56 PM, skynyc said:

Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest show began previews tonight at the Imperial and It's a hot mess of fun. There's something for everyone, and the eye candy is extraordinary.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:14 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

If it's as much of a dumpster fire as the West End version I saw, this might not be around for awhile. 

And let's hope ALW treats his Broadway cast and crew with more respect than he gave the London company. 

Cast is great. I'd watch Carmello sing just about anything, anywhere. 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:24 AM, kyleham said:

I have tickets for in a few weeks. Interested to see how this plays out. Either is going to be really good or a hot mess

Awful review in the NY POST:

‘Bad Cinderella’: A wacko storybook dumpster fire on Broadway

https://nypost.com/2023/03/24/bad-cinderella-broadway-review-a-wacko-dumpster-fire/

ALW couldn't care less right now.  Sadly, one of his sons is dying of cancer.

Wall Street Journal today had a mixed review.  Good tunes and attractive cast, but poor substance in premise and execution of the story.  In summary, WSJ called it a 2nd rate version of Wicked with even less of a moral message.   But WSJ said it will likely appeal to the out-of-state tourist masses who want to see something like Wicked, and to the gays who want to see the good-looking bare-chested muscled ensemble.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:56 PM, skynyc said:

Six shirtless men, ordered by the queen to give her twenty and they do. All six do 20 push-ups before a robust dance number...the lights just accentuating their sweaty gleam. "Hunk's Song" and "Man's Man" made me almost feel like I was at a Village People concert. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:56 PM, skynyc said:

Cameron Loyal can sing the part, has a body of death and has been costumed in pants that verge on obscene.

I would see the show for these two reasons alone

No surprise that the reviews were not good...the show isn't that good. That isn't to say it can't be enjoyed for the eye candy and over the top camp of Carolee Carmello and Grace McLean, (especially after a nice martini.) I got tickets to take some out of town guests over Easter weekend. $75 for mid-orchestra, center. Row K. They're not making the weekly nut if that's what tickets are selling for...can't imagine it will run for long. Through Tony nominations in a month? Although, perhaps with Phantom closing next month, tourists seeking an ALW diversion will keep it going for awhile. 

Sadly, Andrew Lloyd Webber's son passed from cancer last week, so his attentions are understandably elsewhere.