Winter heating bills - heads up!

You may have not noticed the increase in Natural Gas prices.  They doubled just after the heating season wound down.  

My typical $70 November bill has increased to $160!!!

Definitely plan on keeping an eye on the thermostat this winter and using spot heat for the home office rather than the whole house.  Layer up and put on the electric blanket.  

Ouch in Chicago! 

**** No politics!!! ****  

54 minutes ago, BeamerBikes said:

Any hints on best ways to stretch the heating bill while minimizing the lack of comfort encouraged.  

I have likewise heard using a humidifier will help make the indoors feel warmer. 

I keep throw blankets on my drawing room sofas and near my bed.  If it gets too cold I use them instead of hearing the entire house.

So far the heat has not come on this year.  We've reached freezing at night but the days are in the 60s and that combined with cooking and laundry and general living in the house has kept the temperatures inside above 72 day and night.  If natural gas prices have increased by as much as you say, then my typical $25/month winter has bill may soar to $40 by January when it really gets here.

Similar experience here in Eastern Ontario. My November bill just came in and was $204 and last years $109. I don't think the weather was any colder but the gas company has changed their online report and its now hard to find the comparison that they used to show. Clever folks there.

1 hour ago, BeamerBikes said:

You may have not noticed the increase in Natural Gas prices.  They doubled just after the heating season wound down.  

My typical $70 November bill has increased to $160!!!

Definitely plan on keeping an eye on the thermostat this winter and using spot heat for the home office rather than the whole house.  Layer up and put on the electric blanket.  

Ouch in Chicago! 

**** No politics!!! ****  

I plan on avoiding winter by spending 5 weeks in warmer climates (3 weeks in Puerto Vallarta at Christmas, 2 weeks in Florida and the Caribbean at Washington's Birthday).

12 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I plan on avoiding winter by spending 5 weeks in warmer climates (3 weeks in Puerto Vallarta at Christmas, 2 weeks in Florida and the Caribbean at Washington's Birthday).

I personally want to leave Chicagoland in February. February is THE WORST.  I had hoped this winter would be the year to spend it in Key West. Sadly, those prices have climbed super high.  Who knows maybe FTL, Gulf Shores, Galveston...  

FB_IMG_1669770699738.jpg