GRND - Grindr stock. Yes it IPO’d.

These 'info tech' IPOs are often wildly risky and timing is everything.  It opened at $16.50 last Friday and shot up to $71 before closing at $36.50 on it's first day of trading.  

Since then it's run down hill fast and as mentioned, closed today under $10.  

They boast 11 million active users worldwide, had $90 million in revenue first half of 2022 and spend only 1% of revenue on marketing.  It's crazy that this company is valued at $1.68 Billion. 

Whether it's a buy at $9-$10 is anyone's guess.  

Edited by Bucky

I'm intrigued as these IPOs shake out during their first few weeks of trading. 

Today the GRND price dropped below $6.  There clearly isn't the confidence in this arena that was projected when it went public on Nov.18 at $16.50 

But at $6 it could also be one of those great "double or triple your money fast" buys if one is willing to take some risk.   

Did it IPO or was it a reverse acquisition of a smaller company already public?   If the latter, that tends to create confusion in valuation.   The P/E is staggering and I suspect that after a lockout period, some institutions are dumping…but that’s a presumption until 13D filings in Q1

7 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

For anything to be worthwhile for investors, it needs to expand and to increase profit.

I'm guessing that Grindr has already spread as far as it's going and considering it doesn't take may people to run the thing...I don't forsee any increased efficiency in their future.

I’d add nuance to that.  Growth and increasing profit are necessary to support high valuations.  But a boring cash cow Benjamin Graham kind of company can provide a very consistent return

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 1:44 PM, Pd1_jap said:

Invest in the companies and products you use. If you pay for Grindr's services you should prob invest. I haven't used Grindr for over a year so I'm staying away. 

On the other hand, bank stocks have only increased marginally in five years. Does anyone think the value will fall?

Screenshot_20230624-103057.png

You sound like Peter Lynch (Buy what you know). I am more of a John Bogle man myself (Own the entire stock market). 

4 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

You sound like Peter Lynch (Buy what you know). I am more of a John Bogle man myself (Own the entire stock market). 

Then you have deeper pockets than I. Lol

I understand you're referencing ETF funds. But it reads as though you want to own the whole market.

I bought in at the IPO and am still wondering WTF they are doing with the money. In 20 years they’ve added maybe three features to the platform. And messages still can’t sync well across devices. Unfortunately they are the largest with the most active base. 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:28 AM, Xander said:

I bought in at the IPO and am still wondering WTF they are doing with the money. In 20 years they’ve added maybe three features to the platform. And messages still can’t sync well across devices. Unfortunately they are the largest with the most active base. 

Hope you didn't invest money in it you can't afford to lose.   Would have been a great short.   Problem with those websites is they come and go.   Look at how popular Manhunt and adam4adam were and I can't remember the laost time I was on either

There seems to be a cycle with these hookup apps. 

Launch with very few users... Eventually the in-crowd joins and it becomes the go-to hookup app... Popularity becomes the biggest problem, trolls, catfish, drug dealers, and prostitutes oh my... Sooner or later the fake profiles and flakes outnumber the active users... Active users get frustrated and angry then go find the next great hookup app... And on and on we go, where we stop, nobody knows 😘

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 8:28 AM, Xander said:

The IPO is a get rich scheme for the financiers who funded the buy out. Then they offload their shares on the public bag holders.