Heading back to Brazil after my Vienna trip is now concluded

coriolis888

In an earlier post, I complained (bitched) about the high business class fares from the U.S. to Brazil.  Some fares were in excess of $20,000.00 round trip!  I also noted that the economy class fares were also very high compared to prior years.  

I thought no one would pay the kind of fares being asked and that the flights would go out mostly empty of passengers.  

Was I wrong! 

I looked at the seat maps of United's flights and to my shock, most of the business class seats were already assigned and many of the coach seats have also been assigned.  

No question, we are living in a strange economic time when the world is facing a recession but travel is the highest cost and busiest I have ever seen. 

Despite the outrageous air fares, I decided to buy a ticket and return to Brazil in a few days. 

I got a flight at about midway between the high fares and medium. 

However, travel problems did not end after buying my air fare ticket.   

For the first time in my many years of visiting Brazil on a frequent basis, I had difficulty  reserving a hotel at one of the major hotel chains that I use.

After wasting several hours on the websites for each hotel chain I use plus calling on the phone, I now have my Brazil vacation split between three different chain hotels instead of my preference to stay at one hotel for my duration in Sao Paulo. 

I could not get a hotel to reserve the number of weeks I plan to be in Sao Paulo. 

I never had this happen in the past.    

I was advised that the crowded hotels are a result of the election that takes place tomorrow in Brazil between Lula and Bolsonaro.  Each candidate is too close to call.  Whichever candidate wins will have numerous celebrations in Sao Paulo and other large Brazilian cities which supposedly explains why the American chain hotels are full. 

That explanation sounds a bit lame, in my opinion.  

I know that I could book a room at a Brazilian hotel but I prefer the chain hotels that I have used for years.    

I stay in contact with many Brazilians that I met over the years of visiting Brazil.  My friends tell me that despite the crowded cities, Lagoa sauna in Sao Paulo, is doing quite well.

Unfortunately, the other sauna (that replaced Fragata) has not picked up business to a point it is worth going there (according to my friends).  

During my last trip, the Fragata replacement seemed like it might be a go but my friends said lately that the place is like an undiscovered tomb and not worth the money or effort to visit there.   Nonetheless, I will check it out and report what I find. 

Other fun places in Sao Paulo were in decline on my last trip.  Particularly, the cines and shows were much deserted.   The Praca da Republica had declined in that there were no hustlers as there were in prior periods.  

Hopefully, after I check out the usual haunts, I will be able to give a favorable report about Sao Paulo. 

Although I like Rio, I do not visit there much anymore which means that my next update will only be about Sao Paulo.  My Brazilian friends told me that saunas Clube 117 and 202 are doing quite well.  

Edited by coriolis888

18 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

Although I like Rio, I do not visit there much anymore

I used to love Rio. But on my last visit I was robbed at gunpoint by two 14year old Favella boys on bikes.

This occurred in the middle of the day, in Leblon across the street from Gucci. Not like we were in the sketchy part of town or out late at night. We weren't dressed up nor flashing jewelry or watches. Just a blond American guy walking around a rich neighborhood seems to have indicated my pockets were stuffed with cash (they weren't) ....

Put me off any more visits to Rio.

Edited by pubic_assistance

12 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

In an earlier post, I complained (bitched) about the high business class fares from the U.S. to Brazil.  Some fares were in excess of $20,000.00 round trip!  I also noted that the economy class fares were also very high compared to prior years.  

I thought no one would pay the kind of fares being asked and that the flights would go out mostly empty of passengers.  

Was I wrong!   

All major carriers are running full, both up front and in the back.  

Like was said in the thread you mentioned, there are fewer crews working, less equipment running and fares will remain high until both things change.  Every airline CEO has made mention of these issues in the last couple of quarters.

I just flew back to SAT from Barcelona after spending a week on the new Ritz Carlton Evrima.  The flights were oversold both coming and going.  AA's new all J widebody configuration can't come soon enough.

Administrator’s Message:

Please, respect the OP’s wishes to stay on topic. 

If you’d like to discuss: “Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Evrima”, please start a new thread in the appropriate Forum. 

The topic here is: “Heading back to Brazil after my Vienna trip is now concluded” 

Thanks! 

Guest MikeThomas
13 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Administrator’s Message:

Please, respect the OP’s wishes to stay on topic. 

If you’d like to discuss: “Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Evrima”, please start a new thread in the appropriate Forum. 

The topic here is: “Heading back to Brazil after my Vienna trip is now concluded” 

Thanks! 

😂😂😂Bye

• 2 weeks later...

A closing note about Sao Paulo.

I just want to add that since the virus issues have been softened around the world, there are some favorable changes over the past couple of months in Sao Paulo.

People are now allowed to go to most public places without wearing a mask, nor being required to carry proof of vaccination.

The cines have picked up a bit (the cine on Rua Aurora particularly) but the one on Ipiranga that used to be the most full, is only a little bit busy.  

The Praca da Republica has also picked up a bit with several handsome garotos for rent.  

So, if the virus stays away, things should be good again in Sao Paulo (I hope). 

On my return flight back to the U.S., the airplane was packed in both business and coach.  

I got the last available business seat and it was in the very back of business near the restroom and galley where meals are assembled and where the crew gathers to do chores and talk.  Worst seat I ever had, noise wise.  

Prior to my boarding, there were more than a dozen people trying to board the same flight I had returning to the U.S.  Every seat was taken, even at ridiculously high air fares.  

I guess the airlines are money happy at the present time.

I do not return to Brazil until January.  Hope things pick up more in the meantime.   

Edited by coriolis888

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 11:21 PM, coriolis888 said:

A closing note about Sao Paulo.

I just want to add that since the virus issues have been softened around the world, there are some favorable changes over the past couple of months in Sao Paulo.

People are now allowed to go to most public places without wearing a mask, nor being required to carry proof of vaccination.

The cines have picked up a bit (the cine on Rua Aurora particularly) but the one on Ipiranga that used to be the most full, is only a little bit busy.  

The Praca da Republica has also picked up a bit with several handsome garotos for rent.  

So, if the virus stays away, things should be good again in Sao Paulo (I hope). 

On my return flight back to the U.S., the airplane was packed in both business and coach.  

I got the last available business seat and it was in the very back of business near the restroom and galley where meals are assembled and where the crew gathers to do chores and talk.  Worst seat I ever had, noise wise.  

Prior to my boarding, there were more than a dozen people trying to board the same flight I had returning to the U.S.  Every seat was taken, even at ridiculously high air fares.  

I guess the airlines are money happy at the present time.

I do not return to Brazil until January.  Hope things pick up more in the meantime.   

How was your trip in January?