Johnsons Tampa

Poppie

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to wait until last night, Sunday night to check it out. The bar looks great. We were pleasantly surprised to find a favorite dancer from the FTL club behind the bar. Sawyer looks better and better every time we see him. The other bartender was this Hot Huge Muscle Man with INK. Sawyer tells us that opening night was crazy busy. Gave us a tour before he hit the stage.

The upstairs VIP bar with lap dance rooms is not completely done yet. A bed for the boys to "dance" on looks to be much more erotic than a pole. Entrance fee is $10 in lieu of the entrance fee to the lap dance rooms in FTL. Dancers started to arrive at about 7pm. A mix of a hot twunk boy, big muscle guy that was totally hot and a few more somewhere in between. Living so close to the new club, hope to make frequent visits. SO glad Matt opened another bar. Keep an eye on their Facebook page!

So what's the parking situation? As I recall, there weren't many spots at the club, & not a neighborhood with a lot of available street parking. I'm getting over my first case of Covid or I would have been there for sure. Look forward to becoming a regular. I miss the old days when I'd stop in at Baxter's & then the Male Room on Fri & Sat nights to check out the dancers. Hopefully this will last a while.

Really well attended on Friday and a noticeable drop off on Saturday.  My personal opinion is that they opened 2-3 weeks before they were ready.  Lap dance area not complete and not many dancers. The club itself will be spectacular when completely renovated and completely staffed with dancers.  It will be a struggle to staff that club with dancers in Tampa but if anyone can do it, It would be Johnsons.

I was there Fri, Sat, & Sun nights for a bit. (OK, yeah I'm glad to finally have a club like this in Tampa!)

Fri night there were 2 or 3 dancers at a time on the stage, for 3 song sets. Sat night they were up there 2 at a time. Sun just 1 at a time (I think there were maybe 10 dancers total Sun, maybe less). I didn't arrive till after 11 each night. I didn't realize they started at 8, so I'll try going earlier next time. Each night there were a couple of really good looking dancers, some OK, others didn't keep my attention at all. (This is purely my opinion & others may see them differently for sure.)

I didn't check out the upstairs VIP area till really late Sat & Sun and there was nothing going on then. Again, I'll try earlier next time. (Note: the upstairs isn't finished yet, but has a bar serving there, a bed instead of a stage for the dancer, and curtained lap dance rooms.)

The club is really nice, big drinks, good pours, for a good price. All the employees were friendly. One night the DJ came over to thank me for tipping a particular dancer who he said had been having a rough night with few tips. I thought that was really sweet of him to be looking out for the dancers like that.

Biggest news: a pole was installed in the middle of the stage Sun. It didn't get much use, but we'll see.

Good size crowd on Fri & Sat, really small group of customers on Sun.

Any other info I can gather on future trips? I'll be glad to go as often as I need to in order to report back. 😜

https://www.instagram.com/johnsonstampa/

Edited by jeezopete
added link

2 hours ago, lerbut23 said:

I hope they can make it work in Tampa but it will be very difficult.  IMO the quality of dancers is very limited and quite lacking in comparison to Ft Lauderdale.  I have been in and out since they opened  and have yet to stay for an hour.

I tend to agree with you. I expect it to be a tough go with a Tampa club. It’s just too close to FTL and too small a local market. If the dancer quality is greatly inferior to what is at the FTL club, why bother?  Just travel to FTL instead. 

Matt has been in this business a long time so he chose to open in Tampa for a reason. We’ll have to see how it goes.

I would have thought something up the east Coast (DC, PA, NY, MA) could have worked but what do I know. 

Edited by EZEtoGRU

On 9/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, EZEtoGRU said:

I tend to agree with you. I expect it to be a tough go with a Tampa club. It’s just too close to FTL and too small a local market. If the dancer quality is greatly inferior to what is at the FTL club, why bother?  Just travel to FTL instead. 

Matt has been in this business a long time so he chose to open in Tampa for a reason. We’ll have to see how it goes.

I would have thought something up the east Coast (DC, PA, NY, MA) could have worked but what do I know. 

Tampa on the west coast of Florida is over 3 hours & 250 miles away from Fort Lauderdale on the east coast. How is that too close?  The population of Tampa is almost 400,000 with the metropolitan area even larger. Hardly a small local market. 

He'll probably at least last the winter/spring with all of the dancers from up north and Canada coming down.  He probably has a gold mine in Wilton Manors given the location.  Boardwalk is still open but they never advertise anymore.  Plus I can walk to Johnsons from where I live, although I have not been going due to Covid and Monkeypox (and the friend I usually go with are up north for the summer and fall).

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to see Johnson's Tampa! I know it's a challenging city to staff compared to FTL but there are plenty of hot men in Tampa to dance. And when they eventually see that they can make the money dancing for men, the "homo-phobia" will fall to the wayside. Matt will find them. The other dancers will start bragging. It'll bring all the folks from the West Coast of Florida out of the woods and into the big city!

Their grand opening is Friday 10/14 and their latest instagram post says "30+ Dancers!"

I'm sure the place will be packed and it's not that big. Plus the parking on a regular Fri or Sat can be challenging, so I'm going to have to pass this time. I've pretty much become a regular already, going once or twice each weekend so I'll probably check in Sat or Sun and see if some of the dancers hung around.