‘Fire Island’: Friends pine in the Pines in sweet rom-com

samhexum

The cute romantic comedy “Fire Island” takes the story of “Pride and Prejudice” and really amps up the “Pride.”

Written by and starring Joel Kim Booster, the film modernizes Jane Austen’s 1813 oft-adapted novel, relocates it to the thumping New York beach vacation spot and makes nearly every character a 30-something gay guy. Elizabeth, Mr. Darcy, Mary, Wickham: They’re all here with new names, colorful tank tops and Grindr.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/02/fire-island-review-friends-pine-in-the-pines-in-sweet-rom-com/

I know @E.T.Bass is a fan of Mr. Booster, as are @LoveNDino & @MassageDrew.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

7 hours ago, samhexum said:

The cute romantic comedy “Fire Island” takes the story of “Pride and Prejudice” and really amps up the “Pride.”

Written by and starring Joel Kim Booster, the film modernizes Jane Austen’s 1813 oft-adapted novel, relocates it to the thumping New York beach vacation spot and makes nearly every character a 30-something gay guy. Elizabeth, Mr. Darcy, Mary, Wickham: They’re all here with new names, colorful tank tops and Grindr.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/02/fire-island-review-friends-pine-in-the-pines-in-sweet-rom-com/

I know @E.T.Bass is a fan of Mr. Booster, as are @LoveNDino & @MassageDrew.

I’ve seen it advertised a number of places in NYC (Times Square, subway stations). It is on Hulu, i believe. 

Edited by FrankR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I watched it late last night. Not as bad as I expected from comments I have read here and elsewhere. There were a few funny moments. Not sure it is good enough for me to enthusiastically recommend or even watch again. A solid  5/10 in my book. 

• 7 months later...

Have heard enough about this movie since it was released in 2022.  that I'd like to watch it.  Don't have Hulu however.  Was really pleased to see it's now on Showtime, which I have as part of my cable package.  Only it isn't!  There is an entirely different movie with the same name released in 2023 (sequel to "Last Ferry")!  Both are about a group of friends on a summer vacation on Fire Island, but otherwise very different genres.  You can't copyright a geographic name, so I guess you could have a near infinite number of movies with the same name.  Anybody know an alternative to Hulu for the 2022 movie?

MV5BNjBiZjc3YzItYWQ0Ni00YjZlLWFjYTAtMTBi
WWW.IMDB.COM

Fire Island: Directed by Andrew Ahn. With Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Margaret Cho, Conrad Ricamora. A group of queer best friends gather in Fire Island Pines...
MV5BNDA4YTJiM2UtYzE0NC00NTY3LTgzNzItODE0
WWW.IMDB.COM

Fire Island: Directed by Myles Clohessy. With Jonathan Bennett, Connor Paolo, Timothy V. Murphy, Kahyun Kim. The perfect summer vacation quickly spirals out of...