Is traveling still worth it if flights cost twice compared to last year?

This topic is 761 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 4/30/2022 at 7:04 PM, marylander1940 said:

What used to be 200 for years now is at least 400! Prices keep going up! Obviously, a generous client could make all the difference in the world but is it worth it traveling on your own? 

It was never worth it to me to fly even when it was cheaper. Flight, baggage (packing light is not a concept for me lol), then staying in expensive downtown or boring airport hotel. Then fees and prices here and there…all add up, and if a client or 2 don’t show up, that’s an instant lost. Add to that, if you need to stay longer or end it shorter…you’re at the mercy of a flight ticket. 

Only time I would fly if it were a particular weekend session, in a place with a client I could trust. 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

Last year it felt like they were half what they used to be, so current prices feel pretty reasonable to me. Unless that's specific to Canada?

If anything hotel prices feel like a bigger hit to the bottom line this year. 

4 hours ago, Dante said:

Last year it felt like they were half what they used to be, so current prices feel pretty reasonable to me. Unless that's specific to Canada?

If anything hotel prices feel like a bigger hit to the bottom line this year. 

Yeah hotel rates and their corresponding deposits for the budget companies have been a bit higher since post lockdown. I usually always strive to stay in decent accommodations, even if it’s not Marriott or Hilton.

But a budget hotel can easily end up being $200-$250 if they charge an extra deposit. I try to book via the hotel as much as possible nowadays, not really doing 3rd party discount sites unless its a city that has a lot of mid and high rise hotels for reasonable prices. 

I read recently that hotel rates are up nationally 25% - Around here, some seem to have doubled, or more.    4 and 5 star properties in Napa and Sonoma counties defy reason - the craziest are charging 2000/night.   A few weeks ago, we stayed overnight at a Hampton Inn in Petaluma - it was very nice for a Hampton Inn  I admit - but $350.00/night?  We paid it because we needed a change of scenery and we ended up having a really enjoyable time in Petaluma, who knew?

16 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I read recently that hotel rates are up nationally 25% - Around here, some seem to have doubled, or more.    4 and 5 star properties in Napa and Sonoma counties defy reason - the craziest are charging 2000/night.   A few weeks ago, we stayed overnight at a Hampton Inn in Petaluma - it was very nice for a Hampton Inn  I admit - but $350.00/night?  We paid it because we needed a change of scenery and we ended up having a really enjoyable time in Petaluma, who knew?

Don’t get me started on California. The hotel rates are exorbitant. San Francisco was reasonable the week I went, but Palm Springs, and places I wanted to go to like San Raphael and Napa were above and beyond.

Sometimes I feel hotels purposely make themselves expensive for the sake of keeping cheap and undesirables away. 

8 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

Don’t get me started on California. The hotel rates are exorbitant. San Francisco was reasonable the week I went, but Palm Springs, and places I wanted to go to like San Raphael and Napa were above and beyond.

Sometimes I feel hotels purposely make themselves expensive for the sake of keeping cheap and undesirables away. 

They certainly have a target demographic.  But they don't care what sort of vehicle you're driving if you can pay their rate.

I stayed at the Fairmont in Dallas a couple weeks ago - it was kind of a dump.  The room decor was ghastly - sort of a cheesy late-70s faux western, tacky wall art, the bathroom fixtures didn't look like they have ever been upgraded, the wall covering in the bathroom was peeling, the public restrooms weren't clean, the exterior doors were clunky and hard to open - on and on, I found one thing after another to dislike about the place.   The high point was the staff - they were exceptionally gracious and helpful.  What I found amazing was that on Sunday, there was no maid service and no food service.

The whole weekend I was there, I kept seeing this very energetic, exceedingly good-looking man everywhere. probably in his 50's who appeared to be in management.  I finally introduced myself to him and it turned out he was the Chef Concierge.  He asked me how my stay was going and I said "OK."  He asked me if there was anything he could do for me.  I said "No, it's not something under your control. I just don't like this property very much."   He acknowledged that is was an older property and said they have a major renovation planned.  I said I'll come back after the renovation.   To be fair though, I was there on a group rate and paying quite a bit less than a typical 4-star rate.

8 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

I think they are trying to recoup some of the two years of lost revenue from the pandemic.  They are betting that there are enough affluent people willing to pay the exorbitant rates.   I'm incredulous over the jump in air fares.   I'm never buying a ticket again that is split across carriers.  I tried to change the return leg on a ticket I had bought on Expedia - different carriers for the trip out and the return trip.  I wanted  to change the return trip and it turned out that leg of the trip was non-refundable.  If I wanted to change the flight, it would have cost me more than twice as much as I had originally paid for that leg.

The Fairmont in Dallas was newish snd considered a luxury hotel when I lived there in the '70s.  Sounds like its never been renovated at all. Terrible for what was once a top property. 

On another note from a previous post...$2000 a night for anything short of a lavish luxury resort blows my mind.  Who affords that? 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, Rudynate said:

Wow-you don't get the 49 bucks a night deals for Motel 6 anymore? I admit, it has been a while -years-since I visited. But I got a 54 dollar night deal for 4 nights in Santa barbara.  But 350 for Petaluma-Santa Rosa has a few choices? I guess I am not travelling to CA .

You haven't been to Petaluma in a while, I guess.  Very upscale - not quite like Healdsburg or Napa, but close.  We had dinner at an Italian Place - Cucina Paradiso - that was one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:06 AM, ButchAtl said:

The Fairmont in Dallas was newish snd considered a luxury hotel when I lived there in the '70s.  Sounds like its never been renovated at all. Terrible for what was once a top property. 

On another note from a previous post...$2000 a night for anything short of a lavish luxury resort blows my mind.  Who affords that? 

2K per night would be a 5-star resort.

I just can’t see this tread continuing. I think prices are going to max out, and then BOOM 🤯 recession, and everything goes back down. 

That was the light in the tunnel of Covid, but seems like they always have to turn around and make back up for it. 

Gas in Missouri is usually 1 of the lowest amongst the states. It’s averaging $4 a gallon right now. Business here has also been devastatingly bad. Makes me want to leave…ASAP.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

19 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Providers are in a horrible spot. The gut reaction is to say raise your rates to make up for the gas, hotel, and travel prices. But us clients are being stretched to the limit on prices as well so most can't afford to pay more then for a provider too. 

I did a somewhat increase of my sessions, by 50 across the board. But, I didn't in reality. I kept things to what I been already getting, but I've decided to not offer sessions under about 200. Because of my commute, a typical 1 hour session can add up to about 3-4 hours of my day (or evening, which often means reserving the entire part of that day). Even to host requires a bit of coordination. So things like $150 introductory sessions had to be bumped   up.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut