Wimbledon bans Russian & Belarusian Players

BuffaloKyle

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33771570/wimbledon-bar-russian-players-war-ukraine-per-reports

Tennis players from Russia and Belarus will not be allowed to compete at Wimbledon this year due to Russia's "unjustified" invasion of Ukraine, the All England Club announced Wednesday.

This means the following players ranked in the top 30 will not be competing at Wimbledon starting on June 27:

ATP Players
No. 2 Daniil Medvedev
No. 8 Andrey Rublev
No. 26 Karen Khachanov
No. 30 Aslan Karatsev

WTA Players
No. 4 Aryna Sabalenka
No. 15 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
No. 18 Victoria Azarenka
No. 26 Daria Kasatkina
No. 29 Veronika Kudermetova

Something needs to be done to halt the practice of holding competing athletes accountable for the policies/actions of their countries' governments.

My gripe goes all the way back to President Jimmy Carter's 1980 boycott of the Olympic Games in Moscow.

To dash the aspirations of young people competing in allegedly apolitical, inclusive activities to make a common-knowledge political statement just seems wrong to me.

1 hour ago, sync said:

Something needs to be done to halt the practice of holding competing athletes accountable for the policies/actions of their countries' governments.

My gripe goes all the way back to President Jimmy Carter's 1980 boycott of the Olympic Games in Moscow.

To dash the aspirations of young people competing in allegedly apolitical, inclusive activities to make a common-knowledge political statement just seems wrong to me.

I feel your pain. But it is hard to deny that it can be rather effective in sending a message to those governments (think apartheid South Africa with a love for Rugby and Cricket, who were denied access to international events). 

On the other hand, what is to be done when a player takes a political position (for example, speaks in support of an oppressive government or wears a symbol in support)? 

It is sadly complicated… 

4 hours ago, FrankR said:

I feel your pain. But it is hard to deny that it can be rather effective in sending a message to those governments (think apartheid South Africa with a love for Rugby and Cricket, who were denied access to international events). 

On the other hand, what is to be done when a player takes a political position (for example, speaks in support of an oppressive government or wears a symbol in support)? 

It is sadly complicated… 

I agree with your points.

The participating athletes and their governments would have to be made to understand that the Olympic Games are apolitical and that any politicizing would mean expulsion from the games.

I find the Wimbledon decision surprising, since the tournament is not like the Olympics, where the athletes compete as official representatives of their countries. At Wimbledon, the athletes are individuals, whose nationality seems unconnected to their qualifications to compete. Some of the players, like Azarenka, have minimal current connection to the country in which they hold citizenship. It doesn't seem fair to hold every citizen responsible for the actions of their governments, which they may not even support.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Charlie said:

I find the Wimbledon decision surprising, since the tournament is not like the Olympics, where the athletes compete as official representatives of their countries. At Wimbledon, the athletes are individuals, whose nationality seems unconnected to their qualifications to compete. Some of the players, like Azarenka, have minimal current connection to the country in which they hold citizenship. It doesn't seem fair to hold every citizen responsible for the actions of their governments, which they may not even support.

Who knows why the AELTC made this decision, but the most credible theory I've come across is that Wimbledon did not want the PR fallout of a Russian or Belorusian champion.

The AELTC knew how controversial this decision would be.  My guess is that they'll stick to it no matter how much backlash.  The ATP & WTA issued public statements opposing the ban and have hinted they will strip the tournament of ranking points.  IMO, the ATP & WTA pretty much have to, according to their rules.  A tournament must accept players into the draw based on ranking, no other criteria.  That's why the Olympics, which factors in number of representatives per nation, got stripped of ranking points. 

Such a counter-move by the tours will reduce Wimbledon to a super-prestigious and highly lucrative exhibition.  The crazy thing is that other tournaments (Masters1000s in Rome & Canada) are hinting of a ban on Russian & Belarusian players also.  How many tournaments follow Wimbledon's lead?  How many tournaments will the tours strip of ranking points?

Djokovic was beaten in the final by a Russian (Rublev) in his own tournament in Belgrade yesterday, but Serbia is virtually the only country in Europe that remains friendly toward Russia. I can understand why Wimbledon, which is basically a British national championship, would not welcome a win by Medvedev or Sabalenka while Britain is practically at war with Russia and Belarus. But banning players based on their nationality would certainly put the lie to the claim that professional sports are politically neutral.

15 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Didn't this happen to Japanese and German tennis players during the Second World War?

???

How could Japanese and German players be banned from tournaments that didn't take place?  The Australian Open was canceled from 1941-45.  The French Open (called the Tournoi de France at the time) was canceled in 1940, was held from 1941-45 but limited to only French players.  Wimbledon was canceled from 1940-45, and the US Open (the US Nationals at the time) was canceled from 1942-45.

6 hours ago, BSR said:

???

How could Japanese and German players be banned from tournaments that didn't take place?  The Australian Open was canceled from 1941-45.  The French Open (called the Tournoi de France at the time) was canceled in 1940, was held from 1941-45 but limited to only French players.  Wimbledon was canceled from 1940-45, and the US Open (the US Nationals at the time) was canceled from 1942-45.

The tournaments were cancelled because of the second world war, involving Japan and Germany, run by forerunners of Putin.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, WilliamM said:

Didn't this happen to Japanese and German tennis players during the Second World War?

Would you expect the Americans, English, French and Australians to have welcomed players from the countries against which they were actually fighting a war?! The UK is not technically at war with Russia or Belarus, regardless of their protests against Russia's aggression against Ukraine. The AELTC is essentially a a private club, which is closing its doors against persons of whom they disapprove, regardless of whether or not the UK government allows the players to enter the country, whereas the Australian Open welcomed Djokovic, but it was the Australian government which denied him entry to the country to play.

BTW, the four "slams" were not even "open" in the 1940s: only amateurs were allowed to compete, not the professional tennis players who are now represented by the ATP and WTA. Any comparison to the World War 2 situation is really irrelevant.

Would you prefer the powers that govern the three slams, in United States, Britain and France,do nothing and watch Russia invade Moldova next?

Perhaps the Baltic countries may be safe because they are part of NATO.

I have watched a lot of tennis lately, and want to watch more this Spring, Summer and Fall. However, I can switch over to baseball, if necessary.

Edited by WilliamM

You seem confused about the war in Ukraine.

A freelance journalist from Philadelphia was one of first person to be at the site of plane shot down by separatists. 

When he was eventually killed, I was asked to write a paragraph about for the Penn alumni journal

Edited by WilliamM

On 4/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, Charlie said:

Djokovic was beaten in the final by a Russian (Rublev) in his own tournament in Belgrade yesterday, but Serbia is virtually the only country in Europe that remains friendly toward Russia. I can understand why Wimbledon, which is basically a British national championship, would not welcome a win by Medvedev or Sabalenka while Britain is practically at war with Russia and Belarus. But banning players based on their nationality would certainly put the lie to the claim that professional sports are politically neutral.

Hungary' Victor  Orban  is friendly with Mr Putin

Edited by WilliamM

Rafa joins in on criticizing Wimbledon's ban on Russian & Belarusian players, "I think it’s very unfair (on) my Russian tennis mates, my colleagues. It’s not their fault what’s happening in this moment with the war."  Still no word from Roger, who is sidelined until October.  Who knows if Roger will weigh in, whether publicly or behind the scenes.

One thing I do know is that even if every player in the top 100 voiced their disagreement with the ban, Wimbledon would still stick to their guns.  But if Roger decides to join his fellow Big 3 in opposition, that will likely get the ATP to strip Wimbledon of ranking points because the 3 ATGs still hold great sway over the ATP Tour.  The players are meeting in Madrid this week to decide.

9 hours ago, BSR said:

Rafa joins in on criticizing Wimbledon's ban on Russian & Belarusian players, "I think it’s very unfair (on) my Russian tennis mates, my colleagues. It’s not their fault what’s happening in this moment with the war."  Still no word from Roger, who is sidelined until October.  Who knows if Roger will weigh in, whether publicly or behind the scenes.

One thing I do know is that even if every player in the top 100 voiced their disagreement with the ban, Wimbledon would still stick to their guns.  But if Roger decides to join his fellow Big 3 in opposition, that will likely get the ATP to strip Wimbledon of ranking points because the 3 ATGs still hold great sway over the ATP Tour.  The players are meeting in Madrid this week to decide.

Novak will have much to think about. I'm sure he disagrees with Wimbledon's stand, but he also is the reigning Wimbledon champion, and those points from last year have a lot to do with his own current ranking.

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

Novak will have much to think about. I'm sure he disagrees with Wimbledon's stand, but he also is the reigning Wimbledon champion, and those points from last year have a lot to do with his own current ranking.

So true, especially since Novak is a pathetic #97 in the points race.  The world #1 has won a pitiful 250 points so far in 2022, behind the likes of players like Richard Gasquet, Stefan Kozlov, and Vasek Pospisil (I love Reeshahr and Vasek, by the way, just trying to provide some context).  But if the ATP does decide to strip 2022 Wimbledon of ranking points, I'm guessing they will keep the 2021 points in the players' points totals because nobody has the chance to defend the previous year's points, just like the ATP did with Covid-canceled tournaments.  If that's the case, then Novak is sitting pretty, with 2000 points guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

What if the ATP were to boycott Wimbledon, as they did in 1973? What if prominent players refused as individuals to play? None of the possibilities are pretty if Wimbledon refuses to back down.

Any ATP boycott would have to be led by the Big 3, or in this case just Novak & Rafa because Roger is sidelined.  Just my sense as a die-hard Novak fan, the Serb desperately wants to play in as many Slams as possible, especially since (as of now) he still cannot enter the US or Australia.  I highly doubt he's willing to skip Wimbledon this year.  And if Novak's playing, wild horses couldn't drag Rafa away.

Lower-ranked players are hugely loyal to the Big 3.  As recently retired Tommy Robredo said, when he started on the tour, 1st round prize money at the Slams was $6000, now it's $60,000 (USO even higher, $75K).  Roger, Rafa, and Novak campaigned to reduce prize money in latter rounds (in other words, their prize money) to pay far more in early rounds.  Today, a guy ranked #95 can make a decent living because even a 1st round loss in all 4 Slams pays enough to cover expenses for the whole year, including a traveling coach and physio.  Pre-Big 3, a full-time traveling coach and physio were a "luxury" only top 10 players could afford.  While individual players can vote however they want, you can't underestimate their loyalty to the Big 3.

So my guess is no player boycott of Wimbledon this year.  However, if Wimbledon and the other UK grass tournaments are stripped of ranking points, I'm sure plenty of players will skip them.  If you've never done well at Wimbledon (a lot of players struggle with the movement on grass), it might not be worth the expense & travel.  Better to use the brief grass season to rest up or heal up for the long and physically grueling hardcourt stretch.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official: the ATP & WTA have stripped Wimbledon 2022 of ranking points.  Also, the ATP will drop the points earned from 2021, no "freezing" of points like they did with Covid-canceled tournaments.  The tours had to do this because the Russian & Belarusian player ban violates the rules of both tours.

So Novak's point total will drop by 2000 points because the 2021 points will come off and the 2022 tournament has no ranking points.  Even if Novak defends his Roland Garros title (by no means a given), he will drop to #3.  If he doesn't defend, he'll drop a lot more, maybe #5 or #6.  The Roland Garros draw is lopsided because 3 of the top 4 contenders (Novak, Rafa, Alcaraz) ended up in one half whereas Tsitsipas is by himself in the other.  Draws will become even more lopsided when arguably the world's best player is ranked #3 or lower.

5 hours ago, BSR said:

It's official: the ATP & WTA have stripped Wimbledon 2022 of ranking points.

IIRC lead-up tournaments like Queen's have not been stripped. I smell a stunt in the decision to apply the rule selectively to Wimbledon and not others.