POTUS, with a long subtitle.

skynyc
This topic is 735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suspect POTUS is going to be the hot ticket of the summer. Riotously funny, with a cast that is amazing. This laughing evening was a salve for a long day. Like so many farces, I thought the end fizzled a bit, but it reminded me of a road trip to an amusement park with great friends, a great playlist, great views, and great snacks. Just as you pull into the parking lot, it starts to rain, but it doesn't matter at ALL because the journey was SO MUCH FUN. I don't want to give anything away, but the audience starts to laugh with the first word. A fabulous set (the stage crew is working SO hard) by Beowolf Boritt captures the gravitas of the White House and the fun of a farce with great movement, slamming doors, and funny, (dangerous) props.
The cast is a spectacular ensemble with perfect timing which is required to make this kind of show work. Director Susan Strohman has created theater magic again. The only actor I didn't know, Suzy Nakamura, has the toughest role...playing straight to everyone around her, and does it seamlessly. And the scenery chewing by Rachel Dratch, Lea Delaria, Vanessa Williams and Julie White is stunning. Lilli Cooper and Julianne Hough both hold their own beautifully with these comedic pros, and Ms. Hough has a show-stopping moment...can't say more.
The subtitle of the show is; Or, Behind Every Great Dumbass are Seven Women Trying to Keep Him Alive.
Well, every dumbass in the audience was loving these seven women.
The deets: I bought my great mezzanine tickets for $50 using on first-day-of-sale discount code. It's on TDF right now, but the word of mouth is great, and they've even rushed their opening to be able to be eligible for this season's Tonys. If I was on the Board of the Tonys, I would (finally) create an Ensemble Award for this entire cast to be considered. I cannot imagine nominating one over the others.
With the star-power in this cast, the buzz this is getting with every performance, and knowing it's a limited run (- only until August), I think this show will sell out. The fact that the world needs to laugh right now is going to help. BroadwayBox.com has a good discount now which won't last...I just used it to get another pair.