"Jean Michel Basquiat: King Pleasure"

Karl-G

A new show opens today in New York presenting 200 of Basquiat's works as well as many objects from his home and studio.  It is organized by his two sisters and includes a great deal of never before seen material.  It is in the Starrett-Lehigh Building and admission is $45.  The NYTimes has a lengthy article about it today and finds it a valuable resource for better understanding Basquiat.  Of the paintings and drawings, 177 have never been seen publicly before.

I’m still trying to learn to appreciate his work. The show sounds interesting and worth seeing. The $45 admission charge a little steep. Astounding what his paintings are selling for these days. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:59 AM, foxy said:

I’m still trying to learn to appreciate his work. The show sounds interesting and worth seeing. The $45 admission charge a little steep. Astounding what his paintings are selling for these days. 

I don't know much about Basquiat... but did get tickets to see it. Maybe I'll be enlightened. 

• 3 months later...

Read an interesting article about a Basquiat exhibition that did not go as well. The NYT reported on Friday that a show at the Orlando Art Museum that was supposed to have opened this year was instead derailed when the FBI raided the museum in June and took away the 25 art works allegedly by Basquiat.

The director of the museum who was responsible for assembling the exhibit has been fired and the chairperson of the board of trustees let go. One third of the board has resigned and major donors are switching their loaned art to Rollins College Art Museum. Ouch.

What is at issue is the authenticity of the works and the fact the OMA was alerted earlier to problems with the collection, which was supposedly from. California screenwriter who has subsequently disavowed any connection to the supposed treasure trove earlier estimated to be worth more than $100million.

An old friend of mine who is long gone introduced me to the OMA years ago and was so proud his name was carved on the wall as a benefactor of the museum. He will be turning in his grave.