Ari Shapiro on NPR

friendofsheila

This topic is 4965 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is there anybody else who thinks, like me, that Ari Shapiro sounds like an annoying twink who scrapes a new nerve every time he says ANYTHING?

Okay, end of rant. I do, though, get tired of his voice and just hope these guest-hosting gigs on Morning Edition don't lead to a permanent host gig. He's fine covering legal issues.

Actually, I remember hearing David Greene guest-hosting on Weekend Edition and thought Shapiro had taken some voice lessons and shaped up. Nope, Greene has got a similar voice and a much nicer style, to my ear.

Is there anybody else who thinks, like me, that Ari Shapiro sounds like an annoying twink who scrapes a new nerve every time he says ANYTHING?

Okay, end of rant. I do, though, get tired of his voice and just hope these guest-hosting gigs on Morning Edition don't lead to a permanent host gig. He's fine covering legal issues.

Actually, I remember hearing David Greene guest-hosting on Weekend Edition and thought Shapiro had taken some voice lessons and shaped up. Nope, Greene has got a similar voice and a much nicer style, to my ear.

Guest Michaelnc

Actually, I love Ari Shapiro. I think he's sensible and interesting. I am not a big fan of Steve Inskeep (sp?), the regular host, especially when he laughs.

Guest Michaelnc

Actually, I love Ari Shapiro. I think he's sensible and interesting. I am not a big fan of Steve Inskeep (sp?), the regular host, especially when he laughs.

I like Ari Shapiro's reporting style and think he is a very intelligent man, but his voice can become grating after more than a few minutes. Perhaps with more practice (and some voice lessons) he will improve. Just be thankful that he's been paired with Steve Inskeep and not Susan Stamberg. Susan Stamberg is terrific, but I'm not sure I could take the Susan and Ari show for more than a few minutes at a crack. Although Steve Inskeep can be a tad wooden, particularly when he adds dramatic pauses for emphasis, he and Renee Montagne balance each other out nicely. Remember, everyone can't be Bob Edwards.

I like Ari Shapiro's reporting style and think he is a very intelligent man, but his voice can become grating after more than a few minutes. Perhaps with more practice (and some voice lessons) he will improve. Just be thankful that he's been paired with Steve Inskeep and not Susan Stamberg. Susan Stamberg is terrific, but I'm not sure I could take the Susan and Ari show for more than a few minutes at a crack. Although Steve Inskeep can be a tad wooden, particularly when he adds dramatic pauses for emphasis, he and Renee Montagne balance each other out nicely. Remember, everyone can't be Bob Edwards.