Neck and shoulder pain after shoulder pushed downward

Big Sur
This topic is 787 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello.  I have been having some pain/stiffness/numbness in my neck/shoulder/arm for several years on and off.  About two weeks ago, someone pushed hard on my shoulder downward while I was sitting and my neck was not straight.  That person did not hit, it was just a big push.  My pain/numbness has increased.  How likely is it to damage nerves or displace a cervical disc with that type of push?  I am in the process of getting x-rays and MRI but I wanted to see what people thought to hopefully reduce my stress while I am waiting for the results.

Edited by Big Sur

7 hours ago, Big Sur said:

Hello.  I have been having some pain/stiffness/numbness in my neck/shoulder/arm for several years on and off.  About two weeks ago, someone pushed hard on my shoulder downward while I was sitting and my neck was not straight.  That person did not hit, it was just a big push.  My pain/numbness has increased.  How likely is it to damage nerves or displace a cervical disc with that type of push?  I am in the process of getting x-rays and MRI but I wanted to see what people thought to hopefully reduce my stress while I am waiting for the results.

Check to see if perhaps you have some disk compression in your C5, C6 & C7 vertebrae~ Do you also have numbness in your forearm, ring finger and pinky~?

Sometimes cervical compression can also exhibit as pain that seems seated under your scapula, (Angel wings)

Edited by Tygerscent

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 3:04 PM, Big Sur said:

The c-some is more durable than it looks. One classic study shows that about 2/3 of cervical disc herniations resolve with it surgery.

I had a cervical disc extrusion a few years ago. The pain was horrendous; it sounds like yours isn’t quite as bad.  I had an epidural steroid injection, which was helpful, and I’ve been doing PT on and off since then.