Sciatica Treatments???

Axiom2001
This topic is 930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 10/26/2021 at 3:23 AM, sync said:

Thank you for your response.

The following link will take you to a summary of what I was referring to regarding physicians practicing a reluctance to prescribe opiates. How Fear, Misinformation, Stigma Have Devastated Pain Patients (filtermag.org)

While the article centers around Oklahoma, it elaborates how apparent misinformation and misunderstanding from the top of the medical practice chain has had a nationwide effect.

I hope you find relief from your insomnia soon.

My sister is a CRNA (nurse anesthetist).  She said DEA maintains a database of every single opiate prescription written for every single patient by every single provider.  I believe it - she should know - she gives those drugs every single day.

Edited by Rudynate
add content

On 10/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, Axiom2001 said:

For over two months, I've had a recurrence of sciatica problems.  Prior to that time, I had physical therapy treatments that greatly helped.  About three or so weeks ago, the horrendous pain in my calf area reappeared.  I went to an orthopedic/joint center and relayed my condition to my physician.  He checked the most recent Xray and told me of the options that could be provided to me.  He mentioned additional physical therapy or my being administered an epidural shot.  I requested a prescription for pain, a placard, and one for a walker.  The next day I made appointments for eight sessions of additional physical therapy. 

To date the excruciating pain prevails, and I continue to have difficulty walking.

My question is: have any of you had an epidural shot administered to you, and what were its initial effects?  I don't want to wind up being paralyzed in the end if I choose this as the last resort.  

Sorry to hear that. Have you thought about trying acupuncture? Epidural shots and other things are also good, a friend of mine got hooked on oxy because of sciatic, fortunately is no longer a Dr. first choice.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:45 PM, BnaC said:

I’m amazed that you could stay with those meds for an extended period of time.  Were you not able to determine where the impingement on your nerve was coming from?

There are opiates and there are opiates.  There are the oxycodone  and hydrocodone type drugs that make you sleepy and spaced out.   I have a long history of spine problems and I was always prescribed tramadol, a synthetic opiate (opioid) that is very different from opiates like oxy. 

I have chronic sciatica pain.  I keep it at bay with acupuncture every other week.  Massage every 3 weeks.  And Chiropractor adjustment every three weeks.  I also only wear birkenstocks which were also a game changer.  I get the soft footbed plus throw in store bought gel insoles.  Ahhhhh.  I also take tumeric.  If it flares up or becomes painful.  Massage ur butt cheek with the corner of a kitchen countertop!  

On 10/28/2021 at 7:29 AM, Rudynate said:

There are opiates and there are opiates.  There are the oxycodone  and hydrocodone type drugs that make you sleepy and spaced out.   I have a long history of spine problems and I was always prescribed tramadol, a synthetic opiate (opioid) that is very different from opiates like oxy. 

...was in an airport recently, awaiting to board my flight.  A man approached me and asked: "Texas or California?"  I responded to the latter.  He saw that I was in a wheelchair and asked about my condition.  I briefly relayed that I was suffering from a sciatica problem.  He began to share that he'd had knee surgery and that tramadol was great in relieving his pain as well as his brother's.

If I see my orthopedic physician within the next few weeks, I just might request him to prescribe it for me since my therapy treatments are a few

weeks away.

Rudynate- thank you....

Edited by Axiom2001

42 minutes ago, Axiom2001 said:

...was in an airport recently and awaiting to board my flight.  A man approached me and asked: "Texas or California?"  I responded to the latter.  He saw that I was in a wheelchair and asked about my condition.  I briefly relayed that I was suffering from a sciatica problem.  He began to share that he'd had knee surgery and that tramadol was great in relieving his pain.

I just might request my orthopedic physician to prescribe it for me since my therapy treatments are two or more weeks away.

Rudynate- thank you....

Great stuff doesn't make you sleepy or spaced out.