‘Law & Order’ Revived By NBC For Season 21

samhexum

There is no cast set but the new season is expected to feature beloved characters from the original series, with Sam Waterson’s Jack McCoy believed to be at the top of the wish list. The producers from Universal Television and Wolf Entertainment are expected to reach out to former cast member shortly about coming back. Some Law & Order stars are currently in the Wolf Entertainment/Uni TV fold, including S. Epatha Merkerson on Chicago Med and Alana De La Garza on FBI. 

Law & Order, which launched the biggest procedural franchise on TV, was on the cusp of breaking Gunsmoke’s record as the longest running primetime drama ever when NBC in May 2010 unceremoniously canceled the series without a proper finale when renewal negotiations fell through.

While Law & Order creator Wolf got to set a new record for the longest-running drama series with spinoff Law & Order: SVU, now in its 23rd season, he always felt he had unfinished business with the mothership series ending the way it did.

“There are very few things in life that are literally dreams come true. This is mine,” he said about the Season 21 order.

There were rumblings about a potential Law & Order revival back in the spring, with feelers sent out to several original cast members. NBC ended up greenlighting a new Law & Order series instead, legal drama Law & Order: For the Defense. The network and Wolf eventually opted not to go forward with the new show, which had been scheduled for fall as part of a Law & Order Thursday lineup alongside SVU and L&O: Most Wanted. Shortly after news broke in July about For the Defense‘s cancellation, chatter shifted again to a revival of the mothership series.

Wolf has tasked one of his most trusted lieutenants, Eid, with writing the new installment and serving as showrunner. Eid, a Law & Order, L&O: SVU and L&O: Trial By Jury alum, is showrunner on two Wolf series, FBI and Chicago P.D.

Wolf and Eid executive produce the new season with Wolf Entertainment’s Arthur Forney and Peter Jankowski.

Law & Order is quite simply one of the most iconic shows in television history, and the idea of continuing its legacy and partnering with Dick on an all-new season is nothing short of exhilarating” said Susan Rovner, Chairman, Entertainment Content, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming, “This is great news for NBC as well as TV fans everywhere.”

No premiere date for the new season has been set, and it’s unclear whether the show will be ready for midseason. The series, produced by Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, in association with Wolf Entertainment, would presumably be slotted alongside SVU and Most Wanted for a Law & Order Thursday lineup to go along with Wolf’s FBI Tuesday on CBS and One Chicago Wednesday on NBC.

“The return of the flagship Law & Order series for a pivotal 21st season is a proud moment for Dick and a proud moment for us, his studio partners,” said Pearlena Igbokwe, Chairman, Universal Studio Group.

The original series was nominated for more than 50 Emmy Awards and won in 1997 for Outstanding Drama Series.

• 4 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:31 AM, jeezifonly said:

It’s a show that’s given work to a lot of my friends in the industry.

I had a work schedule for years that made weekly dramas lower priority on DVR (VHS???)

I stopped watching after Jerry Orbach left.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

I didn't know about the For The Defense spinoff not going forward until I just read this now. I had been wondering why they had been doing 2 hours of the one L&O each week so far. I only watch occasionally if the plot sounds good.

The Law & Order reboot begins tonight, shifting The Blacklist, which has been renewed for season 10, back to Fridays beginning tomorrow.

• 6 months later...

They have replaced

Law & Order': Anthony Anderson Not Returning For Season 22 – Deadline

with

spacer.png

I approve.

Although when he was a 23 year old fitness model appearing on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES he said some not-so-complimentary things about people who weren't fitness models.  I suppose I'll get past it.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 1 month later...

Elisabeth Röhm returned to direct last week’s episode, which was titled “Only the Lonely.”

The opportunity came as part of NBC Universal’s Female Forward program, which is aimed at greater inclusion of women directors in scripted programming.

“It was the first time I had done episodic [television], and I was really excited to have the support of the [Dick] Wolf camp and NBC,” Röhm tells TVLine.

The episode also reunited Röhm with her former costar Sam Waterston, who plays DA Jack McCoy. “I couldn’t believe it. I was thinking myself, ‘How was I here not too long ago as a newbie, the next girl in line to play his sidekick, now getting the privilege to be a collaborator like this in a different way?'” she recalls of the experience.

“He loves what he does [and] you can see it,” she adds. “He’s still so good and committed to his career, and he was really generous with me, really complimentary and rooting for me to succeed. He knows how much I love directing and how much I’ve been working on reinventing my career as a director.”

With Röhm focused on directing, what does that mean for a potential on-screen return as ADA Southerlyn? While there are currently “no plans in the works” for an appearance, she confirms that it has been a conversation.

“At this point, I would really love to just return in the captain’s seat and direct for them again, but I’m open to anything,” she says.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, samhexum said:

L&O made a bizarre choice to play Jack McCoy's daughter in his 400th episode.  An actress named Elizabeth Waterston.  I can't figure out what made them make that decision.

I’d say the casting department made a good choice.  She was believable as McCoy’s daughter. She even got Jack’s drawl to a T. You’d think the actors were related.

Edited by Trick

• 8 months later...

Sam Waterston, who’s played DA Jack McCoy on “Law & Order” for more than 400 episodes, is leaving the NBC warhorse.

His last episode will air Feb. 22.

Tony Goldwyn, 63, is tagging in for Waterston, 83, playing the new district attorney.

Waterston, who was nominated for three Emmys in the late ’90s for his work on “Law & Order,” joined the show in its fourth season on NBC in 1994.

He spent the next 16 years playing McCoy, and returned in 2022 when “Law & Order” was jump-started after a 12-year hiatus — making him the longest-running cast member in the show’s 23-season history.

“The time has come for me to move on and take Jack McCoy with me,” Waterston said in a statement on Friday.

“There’s sadness in leaving, but I’m just too curious about what’s next. An actor doesn’t want to let himself get too comfortable,” he continued. “I’m more grateful to you than I can say.”

“L&O’s continuing and amazing long run, along with its astounding comeback, is all thanks to you and [series creator] Dick Wolf, but for whose vision, patience, perseverance and unique combination of creative and business talents, none of this would have happened.”

“I feel very blessed,” he said. “I hope to see you all on the flip side.”

Waterston was enthusiastic about the recent revival of “Law & Order.”

“Well, obviously, I love it,” the actor said in an interview last year. “I wondered whether I hadn’t already done this and shouldn’t go back.

“But I couldn’t stand the idea of somebody else doing it and me watching from the sidelines, so I gave it a try and I’m having a wonderful time.”