Biopsy experience

PWIT

This topic is 5073 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Over the past two weeks I have had two biopsies. Today, for the second time, I have been told results are inconclusive. Previously, I had always thought of biopsies in binary terms: benign or cancerous. Tomorrow I will go in for a third biopsy. Surely this will not happen a third time. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this generally a bad sign?

The stress while waiting for results has been driving me nuts. I have been snapping at my employees and almost had my admin assistant in tears today. This is so out of character for me, I'm debating on whether it would just be better for me to stay home and avoid causing more grief at work.

Guest josephga

my mother had a Biopsy a few weeks ago. she had a spot taken off her hand. it was driving her nuts waiting on the results. In her case it turned out to be skin cancer. They got it all but will have to keep a eye on it.

Unfortunately biopsies are not black and white. Pap smear, probably the most common biopsy done is rated on a 1 to 5 scale. 1 is begign and 5 is cancer and in between are suspicious, inconclusive, abnormal but likely benign.

You did not say what was being biopsied but inconclusive may just mean they did not get enough tissue to call it one way or the other. There could be some changes which are not definitely cancerous but which are not totally normal. There could be some confusion about cell types. In any case, there are lots of reasons a biopsy is inclusive. For the sake of your staff, take a few days off. Relax and remember inconclusive is not cancer.

Hopefully you will get a clean bill of health but at this point, try and stay optomistic.

>You did not say what was being biopsied

Thyroid.

>For the sake of your staff, take a few days off. Relax and remember

>inconclusive is not cancer.

Time off is probably best for the office, but not sure I will be able to relax.

>Hopefully you will get a clean bill of health but at this

>point, try and stay optimistic.

Thanks. At least I have stopped worrying about the nose dive my 401k has taken.

>Time off is probably best for the office, but not sure I will

>be able to relax.

Force yourself to take the time off. Now is a good time for a new hobby.

>Thyroid.

Highly treatable.

>Thanks. At least I have stopped worrying about the nose dive

>my 401k has taken.

It has plenty of time to rebound. My sister had her thyroid removed over 10 years ago and she's going strong.

purplekow, I wish you practiced medicine in New York City. I have a doctor who handles things in a similar straight forward manner but unfortunately he's retiring the first of the year. Doctors who take the time to treat their patients as something other than mental midgets are very rare these days.

And PWIT don't go into the office if you want a business left when this is all over. And don't stay home either. Don't you have some errands you never get to, someone who would be really blessed by your visit? If nothing else, the new Bond movie comes out tomorrow.

Guest ryan2552

>>You did not say what was being biopsied

>Thyroid.

>

My brother just had his thyroid removed after a biopsy proved it to be cancerous. He needs to follow up with radiation treatments and then should be fully recovered.

Its a very scary surgery however its a very treatable form of cancer. I believe if none of the nearby tissue was infected you have a 97% cure rate and even if some of the lymph nodes became infected you're still looking at over a 90% cure rate.

Should you have to go through the surgery the recover time is very quick. He was up and about that very evening and released a day afterward. His biggest complaint was an extremely sore throat and according to his doctor that had more to do with the tube than the incision or removal of his gland.

I hope the results of the next try will be negative however, if not, I just wanted to give you some very recent hands on experience I witnessed.

>>You did not say what was being biopsied

>Thyroid.

>

>>For the sake of your staff, take a few days off. Relax and

>remember

>>inconclusive is not cancer.

>Time off is probably best for the office, but not sure I will

>be able to relax.

>

>>Hopefully you will get a clean bill of health but at this

>>point, try and stay optimistic.

>Thanks. At least I have stopped worrying about the nose dive

>my 401k has taken.

PWIT

I had a good friend who had thyroid cancer 5 years ago. He had it removed, had a little radiation, and is now cancer free. I know he takes medicine regularly, and it has little side effects. So, chances are if it is cancer, you will have a very positive prognosis. I agree with the other advice about taking a few days off from work and agree that you shouldn't sit at home either. You'll just stew and then you'll be tempted to disagree with posters on here and we all know where that goes!! ;)

Oh, and I will give some credit to my ex who wiped me out when we divorced - I've been able to watch the current financial crisis and not feel as though someone forgot the lube!!

Best to you on the diagnosis,

TB

Guest CURIOUS35

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I have been in health care for many years. One thing I learned is that nothing is black and white -- the science of medicine is more of an art...it is not black and white.

Education is a pathway I always take when confronted with illness, a diagnoses or a situation.

I am not advising you on what to do or expect about your third biopsy and whatever final diagnoses your physician willmake.

Maybe reading about what they do to you and understanding their terms, confusion and methodology could ease your mind. One caveat though...do not practice medicine in your mind! :p

Here are some readings about your situation. Be informed about this organ... it is yours anyway.:p

As for your employees: Open up to them and tell them why you were acting like you are acting. Ask them for understanding and try to make the situation easier to understand...Speak about the situation as a matter of fact...not as a death scene that is forthcoming. Better yet...try to encourage them to celebrate the coming Thanksgiving festivity and let love bound you with them. Dont be a scrouge! be a Jolly Santa...Laughter and humor heals.

Good luck and more power!!! Whatever it is...God will be by your side. I know the forum will pray for you and sustain your strength by their supportive remarks.

http://www.mythyroid.com/biopsynodule.html:-) :-) :-)

Guest bighugbearphx

My suspicion is that, in today's lawsuit-crazy world, labs/doctors tend to be overly cautious in saying something that is LIKELY not cancer to be DEFINITELY NOT cancer. So inconclusive is probably fairly good news.

You probably had a thin needle thyroid biopsy done under some type of

imaging guidance: ultrasound; CT scan. The biopsy takes a very small amount of tissue and the results are notoriously difficult to read.

Inconclusive results are fairly common in this procedure usually because the did not get enough tissue and less commonly because the tissue is just difficult to evaluate. While many pathologists read thin need thyroid biopsies as do some endocrinologist, at least as a confirmatory reading, make sure that the pathology people doing your readings have not only impeccable pathology credentials but significant experience in reading thin needle biopsy. Your doctor or surgeon should know or be able to find that out.

If it was an excisional biopsy, they remove the gland or the tumor and then read it, well that is easier to interpret and if it is cancerous, then they should be able to tell if it was all removed or not.

Again best wishes. I hope things go well for you.

Got the third biopsy Friday and will hopefully know a definitive answer Mon or Tue.

Ryan, thanks for reminding me of the statistics. When I first heard that I should have my thyroid checked, I checked up on the stats and was comforted by the numbers. I guess the two inconclusive results has just shaken me a bit.

TB, not sure it correlates to my disagreement with others, but it probably does impact my judgment on knowing when to just let something go.

G56, I did skip the whole day of work Friday. Not sure anyone was blessed by my visit, but I did hang out with my ex Friday. He took me bar hopping to get my mind off things. Even though he is my ex, we are very close. He has a knack for knowing how to make me relax.

Macho, thanks for the encouragement and the link. I am starting to know more about the thyroid than I ever cared to know.

bighug, I hope you are right. They also have warned that it is often hard to get the cells from the exact spot or nodule, so maybe that is the problem.

Purple, yes it was the thin needle biopsy using ultrasound to guide. They used general anesthesia - I wasn't completely out, but enough so that I don't remember the needle, which is probably a good thing. Prior to the first biopsy, I saw a youtube clip of the procedure where the patient was conscious and that is what I was expecting. But due to the location of the nodule, they wanted to ensure I did not move during the procedure. So at least I didn't have to stare down the eye of the needle.

KMEM, a special thanks for your email and sharing your story. Glad things worked out well for you.

Deej, new hobby? Any ideas?