Some gay-themed movies?

ariadne1880
This topic is 5638 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you enjoyed Trick, chances are you'll enjoy All Over The Guy. I love this movie.

Beautiful Thing has a good reputation but I didn't enjoy it that much.

I liked the story of Gone, But Not Forgotten but I wouldn't call it great cinema, maybe not even good cinema. I would probably recommend passing on Rock Haven. The others I have not seen.

I might also recommend Broadway Damage,comedy/love story in the same vein as Trick. You might also try Big Eden.

I too enjoyed Broadway Damage. Netflix makes a wide range of gay films available. TLA distributes many gay movies and the rep at the NY Gay Erotic Expo told me that Netflix now carries nearly all their line. Also there are lots of gay themed films on the Here network if your cable provider carries it.

I've seen Shelter, Beautiful Thing and All Over the Guy. I wouldn't recommend any of them too highly. Beautiful Thing got rave reviews, but I think Get Real better achieves what it was trying for.

Here's the link to a previous thread on gay-themed movies: http://mc.daddysreviews.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=122900&mesg_id=122900&listing_type=search

And here's the list I posted therein:

Highly recommend:

Angels in America

Bound

Boys Don't Cry

Cabaret

Color Purple

Edge of 17

Get Real

Gods and Monsters

Ma Vie en Rose

Monster

Mysterious Skin

Opposite of Sex, The

Parting Glances

Times of Harvey Milk

Torch Song Trilogy

Transamerica.

and also:

AKA

Crying Game

Dog Day Afternoon

Flawless

Fried Green Tomatoes

L.I.E.

Living End, The

Love and Human Remains

My Own Private Idaho

Tales of the City

Together Alone.

And then these are great films with minor gay themes:

As Good as it Gets

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Drowning Mona

Election

Happiness

Happy Endings

Silkwood

Waiting for Guffman

Kevin Slater

Have seen and own most of the movies mentioned, because, believe it or not, gay themed movies are not all that prevalent in Oklahoma...

Kevin's list is very complete.... I really enjoyed...

Mysterious Skin

Opposite of Sex

Happy Endings

All Over the Guy

Jeffrey

Longtime Companion

It's My Party

Skin & Bone

For camp value:

Psycho Beach Party

Girls will be Girls

Straight Jacket (not the Joan Crawford one)

Beefcake

All About Eve

Postcards from the Edge

Lowbudget but surprisingly good:

R U Invited?

And, there you are

Open Cam

Hard

Foreign and sexy as Hell:

Johan

Come Undone (best sex scene ever??)

Bulgarian Lovers

Also, was very intrigued by a documentary;

That Man Peter Berlin

and my all time favorite;

Burnt Money (sexy,sexy, sexy)

Okie

Guest backbaygayguy

And I would go back even further with some early films:

Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971 Schlesinger film, written by Penelope Gilliatt, with Glenda Murray, Peter Finch, Murray Head)

My Beautiful Laundrette (1985 Stephen Frears, written by Hanif Kureishi, with Daniel Day-Lewis)

The Servant (1963 Joseph Losey film; adaptation for screen by Harold Pinter; James Fox, Dirk Bogarde, Sarah Miles)

A Taste of Honey (1961 film; adapted from Shelagh Delaney's play; with Rita Tunshingham and Murray Melvin)

Midnight Cowboy (1969 Schesinger, with John Voight and Dustin Hoffman (and the unforgettable Sylvia Miles))

And two documentaries:

The Cockettes (2002) on the legendary psychydelic draq queens who gave new meaning to sequins and gender fuck

Chris & Don: A Love Story (2007) about the openly gay relationship between Don Bachardy and Christopher Isherwood in Hollywood -- at a time when everyone was closeted

Guest zipperzone

>Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971 Schlesinger film, written by

>Penelope Gilliatt, with Glenda Murray, Peter Finch, Murray

>Head)

I think you meant to say Glenda JACKSON, not Glenda Murray.

Guest zipperzone

>Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971 Schlesinger film, written by

>Penelope Gilliatt, with Glenda Murray, Peter Finch, Murray

>Head)

Murray Head was a beautiful hunk of 25 when this movie was made. He is now 62. I wonder how time has treated him.

I've seen Beautiful Thing a few times and have enjoyed it esp the choice of music. The only thing that is a draw back in this movie is the heavy Aussie accent. Not that the Aussie accent is a bad thing but my ears aren't fully tuned into it so I had to go back a few times and try to catch what was said. But other then that a very sweet coming of age movie.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

Three months and counting!

I'm with Scorpio, 'Big Eden' is a real heart-warmer. If you don't mind girl-on-girl action, 'When Night is Falling' and 'Late Bloomers' are both terrific little gems, and both out of Canada. And if you can find it 'Lillies' (also Canadian) is an art-house masterpiece, a beauty to watch.

tRE: Some gay-themed movies?

I also highly recommend four European movies:

-"HIS SECRET LIFE" and "STEAM: THE TURKISH BATH", two beautiful Italian movies from the same director Ozpetek, one from 2001 and the the other from 1997.

-"SECOND SKIN" and "BEFORE NIGHT FALLS", two Spanish movies both with the wonderful (and HOT!) Javier Bardem.

You can find them at Netflix.

Actually the boys in Beautiful Thing are English, not Australian. But I agree they can be a little tough to understand. While it may seem a bit dated now (it came out in 1996) I think it is a great film. A coming of age teenage boys love story.

Shelter is good but predictable. Same with East Side Story.

I detested Rock Haven.

There are hundreds of gay themed films out there. TLA has most of them in their catalog.

One twisted gem that I saw years ago is called The Everlasting Secret Family. It's about an Australian senator who belongs to a club of older men who have much, much younger kept boys. Stars a very hot Mark Lee who also played opposite Mel Gibson in Gallipoli.

There are tons of gay Asian films that have come out over the last couple of years that are worth looking for. A company called Picture This! released many of them.

>>Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971 Schlesinger film, written by

>>Penelope Gilliatt, with Glenda Murray, Peter Finch,

>Murray

>>Head)

>

>Murray Head was a beautiful hunk of 25 when this movie was

>made. He is now 62. I wonder how time has treated him.

>

>He looks pretty good if this is the Murray Head you had in mind?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://991.com/newGallery/Murray-Head-Emotions-361466.jpg&imgrefurl=http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp%3Fcatalogid%3D361466&h=400&w=400&sz=23&hl=en&start=1&usg=__IISpJ_6oEgqOSXah6TwC3mjjelU=&tbnid=Py_WSOIrcHB6PM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmurray%2Bhead%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26ie%3DUTF-8

Guest zipperzone

Thanks for finding the picture.

I don't want to disagree with you but I have seen many actors of Head's age (62) who look much much younger.

It looks that he has not followed the typical Hollywood mind set of patronizing the "nip & tuck" artists of the world. Some people may find this commendable but I think that anyone whose career is strongly tied to his looks would benefit from a little "help"

tRE: Some gay-themed movies?

>I don't find Javier Bardem "hot" at all. He reminds

>me of the dwarf on the old David Lynch series "Twin

>Peaks."

Taste is a personal thing. For you he looks like a dwarf, for me he is very hot.

And I am sure this is not the only thing you and me don't agree with.

:p

Archived