US Hotel Prices Way Down

tassojunior
This topic is 1016 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I can qualify personally that this does not apply to all of Hawaii, even though Japanese tourists are missing in HNL, every-other-American seems to be trying to vacation in Hawaii right now. But here in DC hotels are still rock bottom, just like NYC and SFO:

USAToday article

San Francisco: -70%, from $203 to $62
  • Boston: -67%, from $184 to $61
  • Washington, D.C.: -65%, from $145 to $51
  • New York City: -62%, from $249 to $95
  • Chicago: -59%, from $126 to $52
  • Seattle: -56%, from $122 to $54
  • Minneapolis: -51%, from $81 to $40
  • Philadelphia: -46%, from $117 to $64
  • New Orleans: -41%, from $115 to $68
  • Oahu Island, Hawaii: -38%, from $185 to $114
  • Denver: -38%, from $102 to $63
  • Nashville: -37%, from $123 to $77
  • Orange County, California: -33%, from $117 to $79
  • Detroit: -31%, from $71 to $49
  • Orlando, Florida: -30%, from $91 to $64
  • Los Angeles: -27%, from $137 to $100
  • Saint Louis, Missouri: -27%, from $77 to $57
  • Houston: -25%, from $72 to $54
  • Dallas: -23%, from $77 to $59
  • Atlanta: -23%, from $79 to $60
  • San Diego: -23%, from $122 to $94
  • Phoenix: -6%, from $83 to $78
  • Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Virginia: +1%, from $76 to $77
  • Tampa, Florida: +10%, from $95 to $104
  • Miami: +31%, from $136 to $178
  • U.S.: -22%, from $91 to $69

On 7/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, MscleLovr said:

Interesting survey but I’ve not found very good hotels (4* and 5*) offering much lower rates. In LA and NYC, I have found they offer some more amenities or an extra night free. 

In DC I know hotels that in 2019 were always $200 on HotelTonight are now $99, or lower. The Mall's empty again. 

This has to be for 1-3 star hotels, as higher end properties are not crisis discounting at the moment.

Ritz, Four Seasons, Aman, Mandarin Oriental, Park Hyatt, Peninsula, etc are still in the $450+ range in most major cities.

Programs like Virtuoso and Amex FHR are offering some nice stay two, get three or stay three, get four and five promos, along with some hefty nightly resort credits.  This is in addition to the usual early check-in/late check-out and comp room upgrades.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

This past weekend was my first hotel stay since COVID began. We had to wear masks everywhere, but no problem if you didn't. (I did)

Since the thread is about hotel prices, I was shocked at how much a Springhill Suite could cost on a Saturday night- about  $212 with taxes, then another $16 for parking. And there's nothing fancy about the place. They weren't very upfront about that parking charge when booking. We had a free night on Sunday. The breakfast was inedible- plastic wrapped garbage. There was no cleaning of the room. The sheets had tears and the shower curtain some mold. One elevator for a six floor building was out of order, leaving one working.

So I decided to check my November hotel bookings in New York, where I have 4 free nights and 2 nights booked at the "senior" rate. The total, with tax, is $512. I went searching on Trivago to get comparable rates, and found the very same hotel listing the very same room for $157! 2 nights with tax is $356.

So I called to change the reservation, and after all of the automated gibberish was told I would have to wait at least 13 minutes for an agent. I hung up and went back online, canceling the reservation and rebooking it at the lower rate.

So, yes rates may be cheaper but you have to keep a close eye.