MetOpera Live in HD

g56whiz

It’s back for a brief “encore” run at least. I went to the 1 pm CDT showing Wednesday of Yannick, a documentary on the Met’s mew music director. Despite his desperate need for obsequiousness, I like him. He was born and trained to do this. He started as a choral man and seems to know instinctively what singers need. And he’s one of ours: his long time partner has a prominent place in this document and apparently in his life. 

This Wednesday it’s Porgy and Bess

BTW I was the only one in attendance. Not sure how many if any got to the 6:30 showing. 

Edited by g56whiz

• 6 months later...

I was at the Rigoletto live HD on Saturday, Jan. 29.  One of three theaters showing it  in the Coachella Valley, 20+ people at the showing I attended.  Great cast.  Setting it in Weimar in the 20’s worked.  Mild synchronization  issues between audio and video at the beginning which improved with time.  Some audio issues toward the end - the voices seemed a bit muted.  

But a lovely experience overall. 

Edited by BgMstr4u

I’ve only seen clips from the production, but I have heard three of the performances from Sirius radio, including the 1/29 matinee. The MET cast this piece quite luxuriously. Quinn Kelsey is a very good Rigoletto with great dramatic instincts and Piotr Beczala is perfect in both his singing and acting the role of the uncaring Duke. He sang in the previous MET production of this opera which was set in 1950’s Las Vegas to excellent reviews, too.

Rosa Feola made her MET debut as Gilda in 2019 in the previous production there, and though she doesn’t take all the high ‘showboat’ notes, her voice is, on the whole, very pure in tone and her acting is impressive in a rather ridiculous role - the librettist’s fault, not the soprano’s!

TruHart1 😎

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...