TKTS Booths To Re-Open--Charge It!

Lucky
This topic is 5624 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After a temporary move to the Marriott, the TKTS' newly refurbished discount ticket booths will move back to Duffy Square next week...and they will now take credit cards. From the Daily News:

The new and improved TKTS booth opens next Thursday at 3 p.m. - and not a minute too soon. With the economy tighter than the Naked Cowboy's trunks, saving dough is more than ever on everyone's mind.

The booth is back at 47th St. and Broadway since its relocation near the Marriott Marquis in May 2006. It will have 12 windows, up from 10, with one solely for plays. For the first time in 35 years, credit cards will be accepted, along with cash and travelers checks for tickets for same-day performances, usually at 50% or 25% off the full price.

There are other ways to score day-of-performance discounts:

BE IN IT TO WIN IT Feeling lucky? "Hairspray," "In the Heights" and "Wicked" have an in-person ticket lottery. You sign up 2 to 2 1/2 hours before showtime and names are drawn 1 1/2 to 2 hours before curtain. Winners can buy two tickets, generally front-row, which go for $25-$26.50.

BE THE FIRST Many productions - and that includes Stephen Sondheim's hotly anticipated "Road Show," starting previews Oct. 28 at the Public - offer a limited number of rush tickets that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. (Two per person, generally $20 each, cash only). Some rush programs are only for students and require a valid student ID.

STAND AND BE DELIVERED Other productions offer standing room, with tickets starting from $20-$27. You can watch from the back, but only when the show is sold out. To find out if a show offers rush or standing-room tickets, call the box office or go to "On the Boards" at http://www.talkinbroadway.com.

JOIN NOW, SEE LATER Many shows offer reduced-rate tickets (up to 70% off) to members of the Theatre Development Fund (http://www.tdf.org ), the group that runs the TKTS Booth. The annual fee is $27.50. You can join the service if you're a full-time student or teacher, a union member, 62 or over, a civil servant, a performing-arts pro, work for a nonprofit or a member of the armed forces or clergy.

TAKE YOUR CHANCE ONLINE Theaters continue to get creative in ways to drum up business and reach out to people who might not be able to afford pricey tickets. At Playwrights Horizons, the LIVEforFIVE program makes $5 tickets available for the first preview performance of each show through an online lottery. The lottery for Craig Lucas' "Prayer for My Enemy" with Victoria Clark will begin the week of Nov. 5. Go to http://www.playwrightshorizons.org for details.

The Daily News also has today its fall theater preview:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2008/08/31/2008-08-31_fall_broadway_preview_from_equus_to_warh-1.html

The falling economy will probably take care of that. With the Euro falling, New York is less of a bargain for all of those Europeans who have been flooding the New York hotels.

In the meantime, I got a nice one-bedroom apartment for a week on the 37th floor of a building in Times Square for about $100 less a night than Priceline could get me. Check out vrbo.com

It's about time the new booth opened. It seemed like they were working on it for years. Also good that they will finally take credit cards.

TDF is a great way to save money on tickets. I've used it for years.

FYI I got two tickets for Equus for Wednesday's matinee. 5th row orchestra on the side. After intermission we moved up to 2 empty seats in the 3rd row closer to center. A good clear view of everything. Daniel Radcliffe has balls and was really good, the best actor in this very dated show of psycho-babble. It was more impressive years ago with Richard Burton. Still, I was glad I saw it, especialy at half price.

I kind of liked the booth by the Marriott. The lined seemed to move more quickly than the previous booth in Duffy Square, plus it was sheltered in case of bad weather.

Regarding hotel rooms, I just got a 3.5 star room via Priceline for the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week for $130. I was shocked when my bid was accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh...I remember trudging through the snow with Cooper to see Hairspray, and feeling like a Siamese twin at Spring Awakening. Then, at Spamalot we called Clay Aiken names from our seats...oops, no, we didn't see that one...maybe the next one we can see after we tour the fall colors of Central Park.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: EQUUIS

"Daniel Radcliffe has balls and was really good, the best actor in this very dated show of psycho-babble. It was more impressive years ago with Richard Burton. Still, I was glad I saw it, especially at half price."

If it wasn't for writting the nude scene into the 2nd Act, I think most people would have walked out on this so called "psycho-babble" of a drama.

I attended a Wednesday matinee. The theatre was 2/3rds full. Very easy to get good 1/2 price tickets at TKTS.

The story line is sick, but I knew that going in. The acting, with the exception of Daniel Radcliffe, is second rate. English actor and Tony winner, Richard Griffiths, now pushing 350lbs+, puts on one of his worst performances ever. I enjoyed him in History Boys, but not this one. There are times that he not only puts Daniel Radcliffe to sleep, but the entire audience.

When it's finally time for Radcliffe's brief nude scene, (btw, his small dick is what makes his balls look big), you don't even care any longer. The play is disturbing enough.

Don't think I'm the only one who was disappointed with the play, wait till you hear Lucky's review. :-)

The new TKTS booth and its snazzy staircase look good, but at the Marriott we could wait in a sheltered spot...I guess you can't have everything when buying discount tickets.

I saw 7 shows, liking A Man For All Seasons the best. I had seen Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon in London, so I looked forward to this. Being a lawyer, and an(ex) Catholic, all the parsing by Thomas More left me a little on Henry's side. But I was in the Tower of London and saw More's last home, so I was even more sure he should have signed the damn thing!

All My Sons, with Patrick Wilson, John Lithgow and Mrs. Tom Cruise was pretty good too, and I appreciated the audience for not giving it a standing ovation, so easily done these days, especially after dramatic performances. South Pacific was something any theater lover should see, and Billy Elliott was quite enjoyable. The kid I saw in London was better though, as he could sing, dance, and command a stage. David Alvarez looks good until he dances next to his older self, and then you see true grace and beauty, something young David will no doubt grow in to. But he can't sing very well.

A Prayer for My Enemy, a new Craig Lucas play with Jonathan Groff, the cutie from Spring Awakening, is a mess of a story, but the other guy, Zachary Booth plays a character who complains that everyone thinks he is gay because he is so effiminate, However, he remains butch through out the show. Hard to figure, but he sure is cute. Groff not so cute without all the makeup, but nice looking.

The Seagull put me to sleep, so at least I know how I fit in with Chekov. Maybe being in the last row didn't help.

Cooper, Equus wasn't so bad. I agree with you about Richard Griffiths being miscast. He really needs to meet up with Richard Simmons, both for wait loss and a lesson in how to put some enthusiasm into a character. Daniel Radcliffe did a great job, though, and has a very cute butt, something going unmentioned here. I do think it was sleazy of someone to tape his act and post it on the internet.

Too bad I had to leave with 6 shows still on my list, but I betcha I will be back for West Side Story.

One show I had planned to see, instead of The Seagull, was American Buffalo, which received a bad review today in the NY Times. What was odd about the review is that Ben Brantley admitted that he was reviewing a preview. Why bother with opening night then?

TKTS booth on Duffy Square

Sure, the new TKTS booth looks good especially at night with the red stairs to nowhere or should that be to everywhere ...

It's soooo New York !

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/tkts.jpg

It's pretty cold outside even for him

http://kellysutton.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/naked_cowboy_on_times_square.jpg

Steven Draker ~

[a href=http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk]website[/a] [a href=http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels]reviews[/a]

[a href=http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/stevendraker]Aids LifeCycle 2009[/a]

Archived