Nadal and Federer @ The French Open

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1047 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched Federer win his 1st round match today in straight sets, at Roland Garros.

I agree with the announcer that 39 year old Federer seems to have the body of a 25 year old.  So trim and fit!

Would love to see Nadal and Federer meet.  I believe it would be in the semi finals, if they both make it through.  I expect the French would love it.  They are crazy for Nadal.  I am too.  

spacer.png

9 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Federer has decided to leave the French Open to concentrate on Wimbledon. His last match was a struggle.

Some controversy has erupted in response to Federer's withdrawal.  On Men's Tennis Forum, even some Fed fans (or so they claim) are criticizing his decision.  Their arguments are mostly that you don't treat a Grand Slam as a warmup tournament and that once you enter a tournament you play until you are knocked out, you don't just quit when it's convenient. 

Even though I am not at all a Fed fan (die-hard Novak fan here), I'm OK with his decision.  Do I wish he played his next match against Berrettini? Yeah, sure. I think it actually hurts Berrettini to have 3 days off before facing (most likely) Novak in the quarters.  But Federer was out of commission for more than a year due to 2 knee surgeries.  A 3.5 hour match on the grindiest surface is far more stress than any orthopedic surgeon would advise for that knee.

Federer turns 40 in August.  Please note that just 20 years ago, 30 was the unofficial retirement age in men's tennis.  If he thinks that continuing at Roland Garros is too much of a risk to his body, he's probably right because he knows his own body better than anyone.  Hopefully his knee is OK and Roger can have a great grass court season.  It might be his last hurrah at Wimbledon. 

I think Fed's decision to quit at this point, with the possibility of damaging his body and knowing he probably can't win RG anyway, is actually more honorable than Osaka's decision to skip the final of Cincinnati last September, in order to be ready for the Open. At least he is making it more likely that there will be a competitve final for the fans.

8 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I think Fed's decision to quit at this point, with the possibility of damaging his body and knowing he probably can't win RG anyway, is actually more honorable than Osaka's decision to skip the final of Cincinnati last September, in order to be ready for the Open. At least he is making it more likely that there will be a competitve final for the fans.

And somewhat more  likely Roger Federer will win Wimbledon?

Federer won a close long match before he withdrew from the tournament.  At some point during that match he probably made the decision that it was his last.  I feel once he hit that decision point he should have resigned the match and allowed the other player to advance.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, E.T.Bass said:

Zverev won again, straight sets.  He looks tough to beat.

spacer.png

I watched Federer's match.  Hope he can pull it together for Wimbledon. 

Zverev and Tsitsipas both won in straight sets today.   They will play each other in the semi final!  

Nadal and Djokivic each play their quarterfinal match tomorrow.

Novak's win today changes the landscape of the Slam race -- currently Roger at 20, Rafa at 20, Novak at 18.  Mind you, Novak still has to win the final, but if he does, that puts him just one behind Roger & Rafa.  So instead of the rather sizable gap of 3 Slams between Rafa & Novak that just about everyone had penciled in, Novak is just one back, and he's the favorite at Wimbledon.

Rafa was 105-2 at Roland Garros going into today's match, with an unreal 13-0 record in semifinals (he's also undefeated in the 13 finals he's played).  So Novak hands Rafa his first loss in a semifinal and only his 3rd loss of his career at the clay court Slam.  Just an incredible performance from Novak today.

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Not to be sacrilegious, but I believe that Roger, Rafa and Novak really are the Holy Trinity of tennis, and I hope that each of them ends his career with the same number of slam titles as they ascend to the Hall of Fame.

My dream scenario is that Novak wins on Sunday for Slam #19, then defends his Wimbledon title in a few weeks for #20.  That way, the Big 3 all go into the US Open with 20 apiece, plus Novak will be chasing the elusive calendar year Grand Slam.  Oh, it would be glorious!

On 6/12/2021 at 2:33 AM, BSR said:

My dream scenario is that Novak wins on Sunday for Slam #19, then defends his Wimbledon title in a few weeks for #20.  That way, the Big 3 all go into the US Open with 20 apiece, plus Novak will be chasing the elusive calendar year Grand Slam.  Oh, it would be glorious!

Amazing that the math worked out that way, but that scenario would ensure that the majority of tennis fans are unhappy.  There are Fed fans who are still upset Fed  is tied with Rafa. Novak or Rafa passing Fed before Fed retires would be sacrilegious.