Reverse Search

BtmBearDad
This topic is 1083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Gents,

Not sure if this should be here, in The Deli, or Tech Talk - so admin please feel free to move if this doesn’t belong here.

Can one of you tech savvy gents give a quick rundown of how to do reverse image search?

I remember a few years ago, a member did post a “how to” which was so helpful to a less than savvy guy like me. As one cannot click n’ save RM pics, and screenshots don’t work, that “how to” made the whole process easy.

Of course, I cannot find said thread, so I turn to you gents for help with instructions and/or that thread.

Thanks!!

BBD

From a prior post -

Pic is from a site barechested. Not sure if that means anything and why don't go guys know how to search an image?

1. Right click on the image. Copy the image ADDRESS.

2. Open Google-Images-click on to search an image.

3. Paste copied address in the required box. Then search for the image.

Easy, peasy.

If you are using a mac pc... right click the RM webpage select “view page source”... the photos and in the coding and should be easy to find if you scroll through it. Let me know if that works for you.

I tried to reverse image search your avatar but only got a Pinterest image. Is that a professional rugby player's bum?

Another member suggested a new avatar featuring rugby thighs and arse. I googled for two of my favourites - Brian O’Driscoll and Cian Healy - and the pic I’m using showed up. It’s not attributed, but I’m sure it is from an actual match vs a staged pic, of who tho, I can’t say. Having had my shorts torn like that (both on and off the pitch lol) in my days as a rugger, I decided to use it.

Often, one can right-click on the image, then click on "Search Google for Images." It doesn't always come up with the name, but often will.

currently, in Firefox, I'm having decent luck with a "Firefox add-on" called "search by image"......download the add-on to Firefox, then right-click on any image and choose "search by image".....you'll probably need to scroll down in some of the results to get away from the generic "shirtless man" or "speedo" results

currently, in Firefox, I'm having decent luck with a "Firefox add-on" called "search by image"......download the add-on to Firefox, then right-click on any image and choose "search by image".....you'll probably need to scroll down in some of the results to get away from the generic "shirtless man" or "speedo" results

I searched Firefox add ons as you suggested and the top two (including one named Search By Image) required giving permissions I was not comfortable with. Why would an image search tool need "access to every website you visit?" Upon reading the definition of this, I was advised that that included user names and passwords. There's no way I'm going to install an add on whose purpose is to allow me to search that's going to potentially track my banking usernames and passwords.

I searched Firefox add ons as you suggested and the top two (including one named Search By Image) required giving permissions I was not comfortable with. Why would an image search tool need "access to every website you visit?" Upon reading the definition of this, I was advised that that included user names and passwords. There's no way I'm going to install an add on whose purpose is to allow me to search that's going to potentially track my banking usernames and passwords.

Thanks for your comments. I don't remember having to give those permissions when I downloaded that add-on, but will try to check again.

Why would they want that info and why is it considered necessary just to get the app? It's an outrageous condition.

Yandex.com is a website I go to when google search for images doesn't work. Sometimes some success there where the image search on other websites doesn't work. It is a Russian site, so Putin/FSB is watching, in case you're worried about that.

Yandex.com is a website I go to when google search for images doesn't work. Sometimes some success there where the image search on other websites doesn't work. It is a Russian site, so Putin/FSB is watching, in case you're worried about that.

Why would they want that info and why is it considered necessary just to get the app? It's an outrageous condition.

If I assume the app developer has integrity, they probably are just fetching stuff in the background constantly so that when a user wants to find a match for an image that can be done more efficiently. They probably aren't really harvesting website logons and passwords. If they were, that would be discovered fairly quickly and everyone would stop using them. Still, it doesn't sit well with me that someone wants more information than they need and I generally try to share only the information I need to. And even if that app developer isn't using all of the information they are collecting, if they are collecting and storing more information than they need to provide the intended service they could end up getting hacked and then someone else misuses the harvested information.

This is why I chose to never use Facebook or Facebook Messenger on my phone and I never gave Facebook my phone number. I don't need to browse Facebook when I'm not at home and anyone who really knows me can send me a text, not a message through Facebook. I don't want Facebook mining any more of my information than I've given them. I've been looking into refinancing my mortgage recently and have checked rates at various banks. The websites that require me to start giving them personally identifying information before they will disclose rates just get closed out. And if an app requests overly broad permissions then I either choose not to install the app or, if it's an option, I disable some permissions even if it means some features don't work as intended. I know that they only way to truly regain most of one's privacy is to stop using the internet and credit cards, to "live off the grid" as much as possible. I'm not willing to do that and I realize that modern life has a trade off of lack of privacy in exchange for making some things more convenient. But I definitely set limits when some entity tries to get me to consent to something that isn't reasonable.

Edited by maninsoma