Happy CINCO de MAYO

jjkrkwood
This topic is 1115 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishing all my forum brethren a Happy Cinco de Mayo........ Ole'

65fa75e370c36e40a2d205d1f5954cf1.jpg

C_GCJtxXYAAU7Rr.jpg

Eliad Cohen!

Drinko de Mayo out here on the Left Coast!

Cinco de Mayo - Wikipedia

I just read about it and I didn't know it was a pyric victory, later on the Mexican Emperor realized the country needed to build a middle class like we did here taking land from Native Americans and giving it to settlers Homestead Acts - Wikipedia and the country's aristocracy pulled the rug under his feet and he fell and got executed.

I'm in a few Facebook groups for fans of my favorite Spanish TV shows. Yes, si means if and sí means yes. Yes, exclamation and question marks go at the beginning and the end of sentences. But I can tell you that at least on social media, very few Spaniards bother. The missing ¡¿ doesn't bother me because we don't have them in English. But the missing accent on sí does because I read it as "if." Then again, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the awful grammar & spelling Spaniards on social media are guilty of. The Spanish education system is pretty good, so I'm sure they know better. They're just lazy when posting on social media.

I'm in a few Facebook groups for fans of my favorite Spanish TV shows. Yes, si means if and sí means yes. Yes, exclamation and question marks go at the beginning and the end of sentences. But I can tell you that at least on social media, very few Spaniards bother. The missing ¡¿ doesn't bother me because we don't have them in English. But the missing accent on sí does because I read it as "if." Then again, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the awful grammar & spelling Spaniards on social media are guilty of. The Spanish education system is pretty good, so I'm sure they know better. They're just lazy when posting on social media.

Sometimes it's not laziness in our part, but not switching virtual keyboards in Windows or Mac OS that include the "acento" or the other set of exclamation characters. If I am going to be writing a full/long message in English, Spanish, French, or Italian, I will switch virtual keyboards, but then I also need to remember to revert back to my default which is English now that I live in the USA.

Considering laziness in spelling proper English in Social Media, there's plenty of instances where I just roll my eyes that I could go blind... Just saying... Saludos!

Sometimes it's not laziness in our part, but not switching virtual keyboards in Windows or Mac OS that include the "acento" or the other set of exclamation characters. If I am going to be writing a full/long message in English, Spanish, French, or Italian, I will switch virtual keyboards, but then I also need to remember to revert back to my default which is English now that I live in the USA.

Considering laziness in spelling proper English in Social Media, there's plenty of instances where I just roll my eyes that I could go blind... Just saying... Saludos!

I understand the keyboard issue. When I type in Spanish, I avoid using my laptop because the keyboard doesn't allow for accents or the ¡¿. But the Facebook groups I participate in are almost all Spaniards, presumably with Spanish keyboards.

I understand the keyboard issue. When I type in Spanish, I avoid using my laptop because the keyboard doesn't allow for accents or the ¡¿. But the Facebook groups I participate in are almost all Spaniards, presumably with Spanish keyboards.

I am actually 1/3 Spaniard and was born in the "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and lived there until I turned 18 at which time I moved over to the USA. I am happy using virtual keyboards, but sometimes in the excitement of providing a quick answer I missed the "acentos", but I applaud when other forum members catch my slips, right @marylander1940? Te mando un caluroso abrazo!

Edited by easygoingpal

I am actually 1/3 Spaniard and was born in the "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and lived there until I turned 18 at which time I moved over to the USA. I am happy using virtual keyboards, but sometimes in the excitement of providing a quick answer I missed the "acentos", but I applaud when other forum members catch my slips, right @marylander1940? Te mando un caluroso abrazo!

Edited by easygoingpal

I have the same problem with French. I speak and write both French and English but have never figured out how to change my keyboard to French lettering. I just write the French word without the accent. English is much simpler in that regard as I can't recall there being any accents on English words.

I have the same problem with French. I speak and write both French and English but have never figured out how to change my keyboard to French lettering. I just write the French word without the accent. English is much simpler in that regard as I can't recall there being any accents on English words.

I am actually 1/3 Spaniard and was born in the "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and lived there until I turn 18 at which time I moved over to the USA. I am happy using virtual keyboards, but sometimes in the excitement of providing a quick answer I missed the "acentos", but I applaud when other forum members catch my slips, right @marylander1940? Te mando un caluroso abrazo!

When I said that Spaniards were just lazy with accents and such, my phrasing was too harsh. A better way of putting it would be "can't be bothered." After all, these are just musings posted to a Facebook group. Perfect grammar, spelling, and accent marks are hardly expected. I'm sure these same Spaniards are far more diligent in more important written communications.

Edited by BSR

I am actually 1/3 Spaniard and was born in the "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and lived there until I turn 18 at which time I moved over to the USA. I am happy using virtual keyboards, but sometimes in the excitement of providing a quick answer I missed the "acentos", but I applaud when other forum members catch my slips, right @marylander1940? Te mando un caluroso abrazo!

When I said that Spaniards were just lazy with accents and such, my phrasing was too harsh. A better way of putting it would be "can't be bothered." After all, these are just musings posted to a Facebook group. Perfect grammar, spelling, and accent marks are hardly expected. I'm sure these same Spaniards are far more diligent in more important written communications.

Edited by BSR

I've always considered grammar, spelling and punctuation to be more important than accents in writing in a language. After all, accents are largely meant to facilitate the pronunciation of a word which is only important in the spoken word, although I take the point about si, which can mean two different things depending on the accent. In the spoken language though, si must be interpreted by context, so I suppose that goes for the written language as well.

Grammar and spelling are fundamental in expressing oneself well in the written language. Punctuation is important in lengthier sentences, particularly in the written form but can be sensed in the oral expression by pauses or emphasis being given verbally.

If I had to rank their relative importance, I would put grammar first in expressing oneself.

I've always considered grammar, spelling and punctuation to be more important than accents in writing in a language. After all, accents are largely meant to facilitate the pronunciation of a word which is only important in the spoken word, although I take the point about si, which can mean two different things depending on the accent. In the spoken language though, si must be interpreted by context, so I suppose that goes for the written language as well.

Grammar and spelling are fundamental in expressing oneself well in the written language. Punctuation is important in lengthier sentences, particularly in the written form but can be sensed in the oral expression by pauses or emphasis being given verbally.

If I had to rank their relative importance, I would put grammar first in expressing oneself.

Both Windows and MacOS have settings to select a virtual keyboard on top of the physical one used by the computer... So, if you know the foreign keyboard layout you can type from memory ( similar to closing your eyes) on the keyboard in front of you... Google it...!

Both Windows and MacOS have settings to select a virtual keyboard on top of the physical one used by the computer... So, if you know the foreign keyboard layout you can type from memory ( similar to closing your eyes) on the keyboard in front of you... Google it...!

just like Americans (of all ages) typing u for you , nm for not much or c u later for see you later. I think it's just being lazy, in a hurry, typing while driving, etc.

Sometimes it's not laziness in our part, but not switching virtual keyboards in Windows or Mac OS that include the "acento" or the other set of exclamation characters... Saludos!

The easiest way to do it without switching keyboards, is just to type what I want in English and paste it in Google Translate. All of the accents and upside down question marks appear. The upside down exclamation point is also super easy: just type a lower case i.

iSuper easy!

I like the smell of the morning

I like the first sip of coffee

feel when the sun peeks out my window

and it fills my gaze with a beautiful sunrise.

I like to hear the peace of the mountains,

look at the colors of the sunset,

feel my feet the sand on the beach

and the sweetness of the cane when I kiss my wife.

I know, I know that time is in a hurry

to erase myself from the list, but I tell him that

oh, how beautiful this life is.

And although sometimes it hurts so much

and despite the regrets

there is always someone who loves us,

there is always someone who takes care of us.

Ay, ay, ay, ay,

how beautiful is this life.

And even if it's not forever

if I live it with my people

she is pretty to death,

with songs and tequila.

I like to hear the voice of a guitar,

toast to that friend who left,

feel the embrace of the dawn

and fill my gaze with another beautiful sunrise.

I like to hear the peace of the mountains,

look at the colors of the sunset,

feel the sand of the beach on my feet

and the sweetness of the cane when I kiss my wife.

I know, I know that time is in a hurry

to erase myself from the list, but I tell him that

oh, how beautiful this life is.

And although sometimes it hurts so much

and despite the regrets

there is always someone who loves us,

there is always someone who takes care of us.

Ay, ay, ay, ay, how beautiful is this life

and even if it's not forever

if I live it with my people

she is pretty to death,

with songs and tequila.

Ay, ay, ay, ay, how beautiful this life is.

How beautiful is this life.