Harry Hamlin or Michael Ontkean?

samhexum

Maybe I suffer from a lack of imagination.

Then I guess you'll never sleep with Michael Ontkean.

I was holding out for Harry Hamlin anyway!

I was much more attracted to Michael Ontkean. Since I'm sure 99% of forum members 55+ have seen the film, who would you rather have boffed?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WjaNqudozhQ/TWV_XO2J18I/AAAAAAAAySU/_mCChzMNpdM/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/mo2.JPG MakingLove-Hamlin-Ontkean-02-large-3.jpg

a149319.jpg

Ontkean-slap-shot-0f55e6d8.jpg

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

I was much more attracted to Michael Ontkean. Since I'm sure 99% of forum members 55+ have seen the film, who would you rather have boffed?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WjaNqudozhQ/TWV_XO2J18I/AAAAAAAAySU/_mCChzMNpdM/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/mo2.JPG MakingLove-Hamlin-Ontkean-02-large-3.jpg

a149319.jpg

Ontkean-slap-shot-0f55e6d8.jpg

Michael Ontkean, one thousand percent!

Michael Ontkean was one of my first crushes. Like @BabyBoomer, I remember him from his “Rookies” days. Loved his curly hair.

My earliest recollection of Harry Hamlin was in the “Clash of the Titans” in the very early 1980’s. He was good looking as well, but I definitely preferred Michael Ontkean.

I remember the uproar and scandal when “Making Love” was released. The idea of showing two men kissing was unheard of.

FUN FACT: Kate Jackson, who played Ontkean’s wife in “Making Love,” also starred with him in the “Rookies,” although their characters weren’t married to each other in that show.

I remember the uproar and scandal when “Making Love” was released. The idea of showing two men kissing was unheard of.

There was a funny interview about this in The Celluloid Closet with Daniel Melnick, one of the film's producers. I can't find the scene on YouTube, but it's at 1:17:00 in the film. I have a copy, so I'll transcribe his hilarious diss of a Straight studio exec at 20th Century Fox at the time. In The Celluloid Closet, you hear this monologue from Melnick while they show the scene of Ontkean and Hamlin undressing each other and kissing:

The ownership of the studio changed hands. The new person came in who was not from the film world. Nor the intellectual world. Nor the world of letters and arts. And I had the unpleasant task of running in the screening room for the man and his lovely wife and daughters the rough cut of the film. And none of my colleagues would be there. They were all afraid. So I was there by myself, sitting in the back. He was sitting upfront in a small screening room. He was squirming all during the movie. He just couldn't sit still. And at the part of the movie where the two men embrace and kiss, he jumped up, and he said, "YOU MADE A GOD DAMN FAGGOT MOVIE!" And he stalked out.

While I was searching to see if I could find the film clip, I ran into this interview of one of the film's writers, Barry Sandler, in The Advocate

How Making Love Changed Us

What do you see as the legacy of the film?

I got hundreds and hundreds of letters from young gay men all over the country, who said they had to sneak out of the house to see this movie or they had to drive 50 miles to the nearest town where it was playing. “This movie gave me a sense of pride and acceptance.” “I was able to come out to my family or come out to my wife.” “I realized I’ve been living a fraud.” I received letters like that constantly. It’s great as a screenwriter its gratifying to know you touched people that way. To this day I still have people who search me out and email me and tell they’d never seen it or watched it again and it made them feel really good about themselves. On the basis of that, I’d say the impact is very strong.

FUN FACT: Kate Jackson, who played Ontkean’s wife in “Making Love,” also starred with him in the “Rookies,” although their characters weren’t married to each other in that show.

FUN FACT (or maybe just an urban legend): Kate Jackson (who I thought was very good in Making Love) was offered the Meryl Streep role in Kramer vs. Kramer, but the producers of CHARLIE'S ANGELS wouldn't allow her the time off to do it. Can you imagine Streep in her role in Making Love and the resulting 'sliding doors' world in which they swapped careers? I doubt Streep would've been anywhere near as good in SCARECROW AND MRS. KING.

I first watched this movie in the 90s and one of the scenes I liked was at 1:10:30 after Michael Ontkean says "I love you" to Harry Hamlin, Michael just tells him he doesn't have to respond back. I feel nowadays there's pressure for the other party to say "I love you too" even if he doesn't mean it. I think both men are hot but between the two I definitely preferred Ontkean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqT9wUtYuNI:4232

• 10 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, Oscar Not Wilde said:

Harry Hamlin.

Scarecrow and Mrs. King was great 80s television.

Bruce Boxleitner...  mmm!

On 5/4/2021 at 12:53 AM, RJD said:

My earliest recollection of Harry Hamlin was in the “Clash of the Titans” in the very early 1980’s.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:53 PM, Just Sayin said:

Harry, please

If you happen to be in Brooklyn tomorrow:

Clash of the Titans (1981)
118 min, dir. Desmond Davis
35mm

Thu, Oct 13 / 7 pm

$10 general
$5 members

Hosted by Machine Dazzle in The Theater at MAD.

Join Machine Dazzle for a screening of a favorite fantasy-action film, Clash of the Titans. Best remembered for Ray Harryhausen’s iconic stop-motion monsters, Clash of the Titans features American heartthrob Harry Hamlin as demigod Perseus and none other than the great British actor Laurence Olivier as his father, Zeus. Shown on an original 35mm print, this romantic adventure is an ’80s classic, and for critic Roger Ebert, “gloriously silly.” 

Movie Night with Machine is a screening series of five beloved throwback films curated by Machine Dazzle to accompany his solo exhibition, Queer Maximalism x Machine Dazzle. All released in the late seventies and early eighties, these films delighted the young artist and helped to shape his omnivorous approach to culture. Playful and predictably over-the-top, Movie Night with Machine evenings will include costume contests, a custom-designed step-and-repeat, giveaways, photoshoots, and more!  The films will be introduced by Machine and will be followed by talk backs with the artist.

MOVIE NIGHTS

Oct 13: Clash of the Titans
Oct 25: Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Oct 27: Halloween Celebration Screening of Eyes of Laura Mars
Dec 20: Machine Dazzle Birthday Celebration Screening of Xanadu
Jan 10: Evil Under the Sun

01_Harry-Hamlin-.jpg?itok=B60SIkGY