Mare of Easttown

This topic is 1053 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I began watching this HBO crime thriller which takes place in a close knit community in Pennsylvania. Kate Winslet stars as a police detective Mare) assigned to investigate the murder of a young mother while under increasing pressure by the town to solve the disappearance of another young girl. She is insulted when the higher-ups in the department call in another detective to help her with the two cases. Of course, her own home life is in shambles despite the fact that her mother (Jean Smart) is trying to help her as best their personalities can allow them. While all this mess is transpiring she meets a handsome, semi-successful author (Guy Pearce) who wants to pursue a relationship with Mare while she realizes the limitations of her present circumstances.

I have really liked the series so far and actually look forward to its progression. Some have compared it to the BBC series Happy Valley which I have not seen so I obviously cannot compare them. The only small complaint that I have is that the writers seemed to have tried to insert a very large number of characters into the story in a short amount of time so that it has been hard for me to keep track of who is who and what relationship they are to other characters.

Kate Winslet is great so far. I am always amazed how British actors/actresses seem to be able to master an American accent for a role. For instance, I first saw Emily Mortimer (perhaps the name should have tipped me off) in Lars and the Real Girl (a great movie) and saw a very great American actress speaking a Minnesotan accent. I then saw her on some talk show and heard her speaking her native British accent. I was amazed. Any way, in Mare, Winslet masters a specific accent spoken in a certain area of Pennsylvania.

I began watching this HBO crime thriller which takes place in a close knit community in Pennsylvania. Kate Winslet stars as a police detective Mare) assigned to investigate the murder of a young mother while under increasing pressure by the town to solve the disappearance of another young girl. She is insulted when the higher-ups in the department call in another detective to help her with the two cases. Of course, her own home life is in shambles despite the fact that her mother (Jean Smart) is trying to help her as best their personalities can allow them. While all this mess is transpiring she meets a handsome, semi-successful author (Guy Pearce) who wants to pursue a relationship with Mare while she realizes the limitations of her present circumstances.

I have really liked the series so far and actually look forward to its progression. Some have compared it to the BBC series Happy Valley which I have not seen so I obviously cannot compare them. The only small complaint that I have is that the writers seemed to have tried to insert a very large number of characters into the story in a short amount of time so that it has been hard for me to keep track of who is who and what relationship they are to other characters.

Kate Winslet is great so far. I am always amazed how British actors/actresses seem to be able to master an American accent for a role. For instance, I first saw Emily Mortimer (perhaps the name should have tipped me off) in Lars and the Real Girl (a great movie) and saw a very great American actress speaking a Minnesotan accent. I then saw her on some talk show and heard her speaking her native British accent. I was amazed. Any way, in Mare, Winslet masters a specific accent spoken in a certain area of Pennsylvania.

I was into the summary interview for the first show before I remembered that she is British. She's got not only that central PA accent down but the disheveledness and the attitude also. I wonder if a big murder really only gets a county detective assigned to help her though. And that guy has got to turn out better than he appears now. Totally believable show easy to immerse into.

ps- I hate the way HBO does one-episode-a-week instead of letting people binge from the start.

tassojunior: I was into the summary interview for the first show before I remembered that she is British. She's got not only that central PA accent down but the disheveledness and the attitude also. I wonder if a big murder really only gets a county detective assigned to help her though. And that guy has got to turn out better than he appears now. Totally believable show easy to immerse into.

ps- I hate the way HBO does one-episode-a-week instead of letting people binge from the start.

For some reason the Forum is not letting me directly quote anything. At any rate, I agree it will be interesting to see how the newly assigned detective (can't remember his name) and Mare's relationship develop along the way. Moreover it does seem odd that he would be the law enforcement assigned when there was already a complaint about the force not solving a previous case. The little I have seen so far is a little like the relationship between the detectives in Broadchurch (oil and water). And I totally agree with you that HBO won't allow a subscriber to binge on a series if they want. Perhaps you would be able to if you pay the extra for the new HBO streaming.

For some reason the Forum is not letting me directly quote anything. At any rate, I agree it will be interesting to see how the newly assigned detective (can't remember his name) and Mare's relationship develop along the way. Moreover it does seem odd that he would be the law enforcement assigned when there was already a complaint about the force not solving a previous case. The little I have seen so far is a little like the relationship between the detectives in Broadchurch (oil and water). And I totally agree with you that HBO won't allow a subscriber to binge on a series if they want. Perhaps you would be able to if you pay the extra for the new HBO streaming.

Nope. HBO Max subscription is included for free with HBO and it does the same Sunday night episode garbage.

What to me is unbelievable about the kid assigned by the county to help on the murder is that he acts and sounds like someone just out of junior college. There has to be some sort of plot twist coming with him because he's being played too goody-2-shoes now. And I've never heard of a big murder where help didn't come from a state. All the craziness in the town is absolutely believable common people craziness. The kid's not believable.

I‘m enjoying this show too. In an interview, the producers mentioned they are from that area of PA and that they did a lot of shoots onsite. Also, their costume designer would go into local supermarkets to get an idea of how the locals dressed. I presume the show’s title is a nod to Easton, PA?

I‘m enjoying this show too. In an interview, the producers mentioned they are from that area of PA and that they did a lot of shoots onsite. Also, their costume designer would go into local supermarkets to get an idea of how the locals dressed. I presume the show’s title is a nod to Easton, PA?

It was filmed in the Delaware County area of the Philly suburbs. The accent she mastered is the Philly accent. I’m originally from upper Bucks and I recognized it. Our area had a fairly neutral accent, but the closer you get to Philly, the more distinctive the accent.

https://decider.com/2021/04/19/mare-of-easttown-filming-locations-setting/

The way the Evan Peters character said Wawa just made me happy...

When I visit family, I always get a coffee at Wawa. Last Sunday, I was delighted to see that they had real cream, so I poured a little in the cup and then filled it with dark roast. The 16 oz. came to less than $2.00, and far superior to Starfucks

I enjoy non-local reactions to Wawa. I’ve had friends visit from out of the area and the first time they see it ask, “What’s a Wawa?” I did the same thing when I visited the south for the first time and saw a Piggly Wiggly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawa_(company)

I’ve only watched the first episode so far. The acting is great. Kate Winslet nails the “Delco” accent. My only criticism is how they portray the locale as a very gritty, working-class blue collar town. From what I’ve read, the fictional Easttown is located on the border between Delaware and Chester counties just outside Philadelphia. That area is anything but gritty. In fact, that would be considered the Main Line, which is one of the most affluent regions in Pennsylvania

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

Granted, it doesn’t detract from the story and most people would never be aware of it, but I picked up on it as a local.

Thank you guys for talking about Wawa. While I was watching it I had no idea what it was. I knew they spoke about it (and in some small way seemed focused on it) that beyond thinking it might be coffee was never certain it was.

Wawa is pretty much everywhere now with gas station/sub shops in the east from New Jersey to Florida. It's traditional rival Scheetz is more limited. There are even downtown Wawas in DC without gas.. Their subs were their big draw. But in urban settings like DC their prices and quality are just so-so at best. Definitely better sub-chains.

Edited by tassojunior

I think I figured out who the murderer is and why some of the things happen the way they do. Of course, I will not share what might turn out to be rather idiotic thoughts. In one of the "extras" that HBO provides you to watch they do state it is someone you would not think would be the murderer. I suppose it will be sort of like the Broadchurch ending of the first series where it truly was a surprise.

I think I figured out who the murderer is and why some of the things happen the way they do. Of course, I will not share what might turn out to be rather idiotic thoughts. In one of the "extras" that HBO provides you to watch they do state it is someone you would not think would be the murderer. I suppose it will be sort of like the Broadchurch ending of the first series where it truly was a surprise.

I doubt it.

There's 7 episodes, 4 left now. They wouldn't out the real murderer at the end of episode 3. Besides, everyone today suspects a priest as a pedophile/murderer as soon as they know there is a priest.

Edited by tassojunior

Being a big fan of the Broadchurch series, I was looking forward to watching this US based version. What has struck me is how accurate they have copied the clothing, the insides of the people house, what they eat and all the different personalities of the people. I grew up in this type of town and my main goal at 11 yrs old was to run as far and as fast away from all of that. The listless daily existence of life, with the raw explosive anger / violence just under the surface of your neighbors. If your job is working with the public, good luck. It was dangerous if you were different or quirky, you got the crap beat out of you. I actually had a slight PDST type reaction just watching the first episode and I could have stopped, but it is a good story, so I keep on watching.

I doubt it.

There's 7 episodes, 4 left now. They wouldn't out the real murderer at the end of episode 3. Besides, everyone today suspects a priest as a pedophile/murderer as soon as they know there is a priest.

What I meant is that they have pointed toward certain people that you are supposed to suspect did it but as in Broadchurch it is not going to be any of them. Based on certain things that have been said I have picked someone that I think did it and it will not be anyone the clues have pointed us toward. I am probably wrong but I have picked someone that (unless they bring in an outside person) did it.

What I meant is that they have pointed toward certain people that you are supposed to suspect did it but as in Broadchurch it is not going to be any of them. Based on certain things that have been said I have picked someone that I think did it and it will not be anyone the clues have pointed us toward. I am probably wrong but I have picked someone that (unless they bring in an outside person) did it.

yes. they overplayed the priest at the end of episode 3, so i doubt it's him even if dna points to him as the father, if really him this will be a very boring mini-series. May be tied to the other unsolved murder, may be not. May be the other priest. I suspect a shock; the ex-husband or the police chief or the county detective, or even the novelist Mare is dating. Or the lesbian daughter, her part is overplayed to be a minor character. The novelist boyfriend is underplayed, a blank slate, too much to end up the killer.

could always google i guess. HBO series are shown at once in Europe like Netflix. and plenty have seen/worked on the show. (i won't)

here's Collider's list of their top suspects as of this week:

https://collider.com/mare-of-easttown-who-is-the-killer/

Edited by tassojunior

yes. they overplayed the priest at the end of episode 3, so i doubt it's him even if dna points to him as the father, if really him this will be a very boring mini-series. May be tied to the other unsolved murder, may be not. May be the other priest. I suspect a shock; the ex-husband or the police chief or the county detective, or even the novelist Mare is dating. Or the lesbian daughter, her part is overplayed to be a minor character. The novelist boyfriend is underplayed, a blank slate, too much to end up the killer.

could always google i guess. HBO series are shown at once in Europe like Netflix. and plenty have seen/worked on the show. (i won't)

here's Collider's list of their top suspects as of this week:

https://collider.com/mare-of-easttown-who-is-the-killer/

Could the fact that the second priest who was forced to leave the other parish be something that could be used to blackmail him. And who could be the one who does the blackmailing and would also have access through the teenager parish group. And of course because someone is a cousin of Mare and be somewhat passed over because he was so close (like in Broadchurch). I guess I will just see. Just getting to see Guy Pearce is reason enough to tune in.

The thing I'm stuck on: do we know who found the teendad in the woods and got him to the hospital?

the brothers, one of whom is Lori's husband (who are also suspects many people think).

half the characters seem to have some hidden backstory or hangup. Mare's ex, her BFF Lori, her cousin/priest, her daughter, her novelist bf......

only the kid, his bitch gf, and the junkie daughter-in-law seem to be open books.

Edited by tassojunior

Could the fact that the second priest who was forced to leave the other parish be something that could be used to blackmail him. And who could be the one who does the blackmailing and would also have access through the teenager parish group. And of course because someone is a cousin of Mare and be somewhat passed over because he was so close (like in Broadchurch). I guess I will just see. Just getting to see Guy Pearce is reason enough to tune in.

or i could be wrong. seems HBO just pulled this obvious-killer stunt:

There are two ways to think about the deacon right now. The fact that he seems like the obvious murderer so early into the show might makes him the red herring murder mysteries love to throw in halfway through, or alternatively the show could be pulling the same trick as HBO's recent The Undoing by making the killer obvious from the start so that the show actually becomes about how the character's lives are changed by the revelations.

https://www.newsweek.com/mare-easttown-suspects-who-killed-erin-hbo-1588510

I am not a PDA person in the making out in a Wawa while waiting to pay for snacks and stumbling and landing in the fruit cooler stand. Oh wait, I am that person. Nevermind.

A comedian’s viral Twitter ode to New York bodegas has sparked a heated debate on what exactly sets the city corner mainstays apart from suburbia’s grocery and convenience stores... “In PA there’s this thing called Wawa,” wrote one user, who described herself as a former New York City resident of 17 years, in reference to the convenience store chain. “In CA there’s this thing generally called stores, but you drive to them instead of walking to the corner.”

Check out Buffboyz Lounge Twitter. New pics of Cowboy Mike, and Zachary. The boys were a big hit this morning getting coffee at Wawa.... I love Philadelphia!.

The way the Evan Peters character said Wawa just made me happy...

When I visit family, I always get a coffee at Wawa. Last Sunday, I was delighted to see that they had real cream, so I poured a little in the cup and then filled it with dark roast. The 16 oz. came to less than $2.00, and far superior to Starfucks

Thank you guys for talking about Wawa. While I was watching it I had no idea what it was. I knew they spoke about it (and in some small way seemed focused on it) that beyond thinking it might be coffee was never certain it was.

I enjoy non-local reactions to Wawa. I’ve had friends visit from out of the area and the first time they see it ask, “What’s a Wawa?” I did the same thing when I visited the south for the first time and saw a Piggly Wiggly.

Wawa is pretty much everywhere now with gas station/sub shops in the east from New Jersey to Florida. It's traditional rival Scheetz is more limited. There are even downtown Wawas in DC without gas.. Their subs were their big draw. But in urban settings like DC their prices and quality are just so-so at best. Definitely better sub-chains.

Kate Winslet is gaga for Wawa.

The British actress is gushing over the American convenience store, that she grew to love as she filmed a HBO series about police investigations in Pennsylvania.

The Oscar winner said the store played a key part in her research to prepare to star in “Mare of Easttown,”as Delaware County, Penn. detective Mare Sheehan.

“So I subscribed to the Delco Times, so I would read this newspaper every day, and there would regularly be some article about Wawa,” Winslet told The Los Angeles Times’ “Envelope” podcast.

“It almost felt like a mythical place, Wawa,” the actor told the outlet.

“And so by the time I got there, I was like, ‘Oh, it’s real!’ It was like Lapland,” she said, laughing.

“Walking into a Wawa ultimately felt, it was kind of an honor in a funny way because to me, that was the heart of Delco. To finally walk through the door of a Wawa, I felt like, ‘Ah, yes, I’m here! I belong! This is where it’s at!’ Wawa.”

Winslet said the only thing she bought at the store was coffee, but enjoyed just “hanging out” in the Mid-Atlantic chain.

She got a vicarious taste of American fast food from her co-star, Evan Peters, who she told the podcast would stuff himself with the chain’s seasonal “Gobbler” hoagie and then pass out in a food coma.

“It was this gigantic sub, basically — or hoagie — and it’s like turkey and the stuffing,” Winslet said in the interview. “It’s basically a Thanksgiving meal in a hoagie.”

The 45-year-old “Titanic” star said adopting a suburban Philadelphia accent for the show was one of the hardest adjustments of her career.

Winslet reportedly shadowed police in Pennsylvania for months in preparation for the role.

Winslet's evolved perfectly into that beloved character of a semi-grumpy. semi-beautiful, middle-aged strong family woman.

Wawa's evolved the other way, and not so gracefully. I remember stopping at them for gas and a very good sub years ago. Then they opened a no-gas store in College Park with very good subs. Now they're opening all these urban downtown stores, including a couple by my house and both there and the gas station Wawa's have "ok" subs, no better. They're 7-11's with slightly better hot food. The gas station ones still have better food than Exxon or other stations with 7-11's. The best subs by far chain-wise are Pot-Belly which are now everywhere.

I'm wondering if this 7-or-8 hour mini-series per season has become a standard format. I really don't like the 1-hour-per-week rollouts.

I'm hoping that the "Undoing" is not a new format where they let you know the murderer early and spend the show on character studies.