Donna Summer in Concert

EXPAT
This topic is 2367 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well I saw the original Disco Diva herself tonight in Alpine, CA. I saw her 28 years ago in Indianapolis. She still has an amazingly strong voice although she is about twice as big as she was back then. Regardless, the 2.5 hours were amazing.

Here was the set list:

“The Queen is Back” (from new CD, "Crayons")

“I Feel Love”

“Dim All the Lights”

“I’m a Fire” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Sand on My Feet” (from new CD "Crayons")

“On the Radio”

“Mr. Music” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Crayons” (from new CD "Crayons")

(Intermission)

“No More Tears (Enough is Enough)”

“MacArthur Park”

“Bring Down the Reign” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Stamp Your Feet” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Slide Over Backwards” (from new CD "Crayons")

(Back-up vocalist sings while Summer makes a wardrobe change)

“She Works Hard for the Money”

"Bad Girls"

“Hot Stuff”

Encore:

“Last Dance”

posting pics is actually very easy....first, make an account at http://www.photobucket.com.. it is free and simple... then u simply upload the pics there from your computer.. they make a url for each pic.. then you create a message here like usual.. and u cut/paste the url in the message form ....thats all it takes.. and viola.. u have pics in your message..

• 9 years later...

NY POST:

Call it Broadway Monopoly — the game producers, landlords and other insiders love to play when theaters suddenly open up. With so many shows circling the Great White Way, two or three could land this season, but only if they find theaters.

The Nederlander will be free once “War Paint” closes on Sunday. Patti LuPone, who stars with Christine Ebersole, needs a hip replacement. Though she’s been in pain for months, she hasn’t dropped a performance.

“I don’t miss,” she told me. “But I gotta have this taken care of.”

Uma Thurman starts previews Nov. 9 in “The Parisian Woman,” at the newly restored Hudson Theatre. But Beau Willimon’s drama is scheduled to run only through March, so the Hudson’s in play.

The Cort is another theater insiders suspect will open up this season. “M. Butterfly,” directed by Julie Taymor and starring Clive Owen, opened there last week. I was rooting for a Taymor comeback after the debacle of “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.” But the critics weren’t kind. The $4.5 million production is struggling and could fold by the end of the year.

So what shows are circling the Nederlander, the Hudson and the Cort?

The Honeymooners,” which just premiered at New Jersey’s Paper Mill Playhouse, could easily slip in before the Tony cutoff date in May. Based on the beloved ’50s TV show, the musical received a warm review from the Times. (Variety, however, gave it the ice pick: “lumbering,” “scattershot,” “tiresome.”) Several investors who trekked out to Jersey say the show has its charms, especially the cast: Michael McGrath (Ralph), Leslie Kritzer (Alice), Michael Mastro (Ed) and Laura Bell Bundy (Trixie).

I doubt “The Honeymooners,” should it hit Broadway, would give Tina Fey’s “Mean Girls” and the excellent “The Band’s Visit” much competition at the Tonys. But the title’s a winner, and is sure to draw tourists this summer.

Speaking of summer, there’s “Summer: The Donna Summer Musical.” It debuts next week at San Diego’s La Jolla Playhouse with three actresses playing the disco diva at different stages in her life: Storm Lever (Duckling Donna), Ariana DeBose (Disco Donna) and LaChanze (Diva Donna).

You can’t rule this one out, if only because the director is Des McAnuff, who staged the smash “Jersey Boys.” Investors who saw a workshop in New York weren’t mad about the script, but said those Summer songs — “She Works Hard for the Money,” “Love To Love You Baby” and “Last Dance” — are as catchy as ever.

The money for this one’s in place, and if it gets good reviews, the Broadway disco ball’s going to spin.

Finally, let’s not rule out “Hadestown,” directed and developed by Rachel Chavkin, who staged “Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812.” The show, based on the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, won raves at the New York Theatre Workshop.

It’s ready to go to Broadway, and could certainly be a last-minute surprise hit.

BTW, I saw her in concert twice during her heyday, including literally at the peak of her career... at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium the week Hot Stuff & Bad Girls were the #s 1 & 2 songs on the Billboard Top 100. She was the first artist since the Beatles to accomplish that, & I don't know if anyone's done it since.

Well I saw the original Disco Diva herself tonight in Alpine, CA. I saw her 28 years ago in Indianapolis. She still has an amazingly strong voice although she is about twice as big as she was back then. Regardless, the 2.5 hours were amazing.

Here was the set list:

“The Queen is Back” (from new CD, "Crayons")

“I Feel Love”

“Dim All the Lights”

“I’m a Fire” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Sand on My Feet” (from new CD "Crayons")

“On the Radio”

“Mr. Music” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Crayons” (from new CD "Crayons")

(Intermission)

“No More Tears (Enough is Enough)”

“MacArthur Park”

“Bring Down the Reign” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Stamp Your Feet” (from new CD "Crayons")

“Slide Over Backwards” (from new CD "Crayons")

(Back-up vocalist sings while Summer makes a wardrobe change)

“She Works Hard for the Money”

"Bad Girls"

“Hot Stuff”

Encore:

“Last Dance”

Seriously -no fun - no pun - no joke - WHY is someone reviving a 2008 post -- Freaked me the fuck out! Donna Summer Died on May 2012.

A few days ago I got an email from one of my dearest friends who died 6 years ago way to young and from a rare and terrible disease. I saw her name in the sent line and grabbed my chest -- I was so shocked!

It was Fucking SPAM!

There's a musical about her with hopes to go to Broadway

Speaking of summer, there’s “Summer: The Donna Summer Musical.” It debuts next week at San Diego’s La Jolla Playhouse with three actresses playing the disco diva at different stages in her life: Storm Lever (Duckling Donna), Ariana DeBose (Disco Donna) and LaChanze (Diva Donna).

You can’t rule this one out...

The money for this one’s in place, and if it gets good reviews, the Broadway disco ball’s going to spin.

I hope they do this or something like this. However, I wish they would use one actress for the entire show. It calls for someone who has a remarkable voice but they certainly could find her. It would be wonderful because she was the Queen of that age. I am always amazed that really disco did not last all that long but it grabbed a whole group and made them dance. It also drew both straights and gays and had them dancing together. So, at any rate, they need a good script and a fantastic voice. They have the music. I look forward to it.

NY POST:

Speaking of summer, there’s “Summer: The Donna Summer Musical.” It debuts next week at San Diego’s La Jolla Playhouse with three actresses playing the disco diva at different stages in her life: Storm Lever (Duckling Donna), Ariana DeBose (Disco Donna) and LaChanze (Diva Donna)

Just purchased tickets for 12 Nov. 2nd row & close to center.

Archived