The 53 year sports drought is OVER!!!!

Smurof
This topic is 1136 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The San Diego Padres, one of the most hapless sports franchises ever, took well over 8,000 baseball games for a pitcher to give up zero hits in a 9 inning game. I've been a fan since the 70s, so tonight is extremely special. They still have zero championships, being in the World Series only two times, and having won only 1 game. This accomplishment has been done hundreds and hundreds of times, but only one current team never had one, until tonight.

It brought my 90 year old grandfather to tears. Awesome day.

I am a Mets fan and it took the Mets 8019 games to get their first no hitter. With the likes of Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Jerry Koosman, Nolan Ryan, one wonders what took so long. The Mets have only one no hitter in their history and that one came with a bad call from an umpire that called a fair ball foul, and thereby eliminating a sure hit from the record.

San Diego took 8206 games to get their first one. However, there were no obviously wrong calls in this game and so no question that it was valid. The Padres and the Mets are now tied at 1 no hitter each, with the Mets about 7 seasons older than the Padres.

Congratulations on sticking with the Padresfor so long. At least the Mets have 5 Pennants and 2 World Series wins so 59 years of following the team has not been all heartbreak.